Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Any Luck Getting the Front License Plate Strips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeman
Honestly, I don't know where my dealer got the part from, whether it was overseas or here in the US. I was at the dealership and my sales person and the service manager showed me an exploded view of the front end of the car, indicating the filler strips and the associated part #. A week ago they told me they ordered the part and today they called to tell me to bring the car up for it to be installed.

Initially when I pushed back on the car due to the front plate, they told me to replace just a section of the front end eliminating the front license plate holder, that it would cost around $900. But then they found the filler strips on the diagram and believe it will solve the problem. I tried taking the holder off to see what it looked like but it did look like crap - it was clear something was missing.

My car was one of the initial launch cars which Audi sent out to all the dealers, all of which were equipped with front plate holders. None arrived with the delete plate option, so many people got stuck with the holder. Soon as I get the car back tomorrow I'll post pictures to show what it looks like.
Z
Ok, as promised, here is a picture of my Q7 which has had the filler strips inserted into the gap caused by the removal of the front license plate holder. Looks good to me!

Old 01-23-2016, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeman
Ok, as promised, here is a picture of my Q7 which has had the filler strips inserted into the gap caused by the removal of the front license plate holder. Looks good to me!

Looks quite good! Did it end up costing you $900, as in your earlier post or were they able to find a less onerous solution (financilly speaking).
Old 01-23-2016, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pagla6
Looks quite good! Did it end up costing you $900, as in your earlier post or were they able to find a less onerous solution (financilly speaking).
Filler strips were the solution - $169 + labor. Dealer has ordered additional sets for future use if need arises with other customers.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Dealer ordered the filler strips. Quoted originally over $200, settled on $125, and they pop right into place so don't let the dealer charge you for labor. The sales rep installed these in about 1 minute.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can anyone confirm that the license plate delete option on the q7 is simply that you get the filler strips instead of the license plate holder? Is the rest of the grill the same part?
Old 02-07-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mrho888
Can anyone confirm that the license plate delete option on the q7 is simply that you get the filler strips instead of the license plate holder? Is the rest of the grill the same part?
Correct - the filler strips are in place and the front bumper looks "complete."
Old 02-07-2016, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Z, can you take a picture of the license plate holder you took off and post it? I am looking to see how it will fit on a car without this option.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jallen0
Z, can you take a picture of the license plate holder you took off and post it? I am looking to see how it will fit on a car without this option.
Sorry for the delay...here are 4 shots from different angles...

Old 02-08-2016, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome thank you! I wonder if I take off my "filler strips" is there will be a bolt hole to screw the plate into.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jallen0
Awesome thank you! I wonder if I take off my "filler strips" is there will be a bolt hole to screw the plate into.
Not sure if there would be holes or slight a indention where each hole is (you'd punch it in). Believe if there is (like mine), the strips cover them up when you put them back on; worth checking by removing one to see.

Quick Reply: Any Luck Getting the Front License Plate Strips?