Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Anyone have experience with rear seat tablets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL
Hi. I am in the process of ordering a Q7 - my first Audi ever.

I asked my dealer this very same question about streaming DVD output to the rear tablets, and it does not appear to be possible, which is quite disappointing:

Rear Entertainment operates independently of the front DVD drive/screen. It has HDMI, USB and SD card reader and head phone jacks do you can play videos and games from external drives, cards or sticks and apps for each rear screen either independently or viewed together. May be used outside the car as well.
This is what I am being told as well. My kids are old enough to use the tablets on their own, but it would still be nice to be able to use a DVD I already have for road trips. You can just connect an external DVD player to the tablets through the HDMI in, but seems there should be a Google Chromecast type solution (no there is no HDMI port on the car's DVD player.

If your kids are above 5, none of this probably matters. My kids watch YouTube and DudePerfect all the time. Plus can do Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by baltfan
This is what I am being told as well. My kids are old enough to use the tablets on their own, but it would still be nice to be able to use a DVD I already have for road trips. You can just connect an external DVD player to the tablets through the HDMI in, but seems there should be a Google Chromecast type solution (no there is no HDMI port on the car's DVD player.

If your kids are above 5, none of this probably matters. My kids watch YouTube and DudePerfect all the time. Plus can do Netflix or Amazon Prime.
My kids are older, 8 and 14, but I would prefer to use a non streaming ($$) option - hence the dvd's.

What would you recommend as a mobile hotspot instead of the in car option which is ridiculously expensive ?

I'm not sure if the tablets can access the front dvd player - I guess that is the main dilemma.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL
My kids are older, 8 and 14, but I would prefer to use a non streaming ($$) option - hence the dvd's.

What would you recommend as a mobile hotspot instead of the in car option which is ridiculously expensive ?

I'm not sure if the tablets can access the front dvd player - I guess that is the main dilemma.
The tablets definitely can access the mobile hotspot from your phone. I accessed my home wifi with them when I was downloading something and wanted to do it faster.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Same issue here. I just picked mine up today and after several hours of tinkering, along with multiple google/youtube/forum searches, and I cannot figure out how to stream the dvd player to the tablets. My kids are 5 and 2, so having dvd capability is a must. It seems silly that I should have to plug in a dvd player to stream to the two tablets. Hopefully someone will put a good tutorial out there or these are going back to the dealer.

Also, the tablet is nothing like the detachable that audi demo'd last year. These tablets are all one piece so taking them out and using them as a "tablet" is not the greatest option. They are super heavy and the mount does not fold all the way into the back of the tablet.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by imcav8r
Same issue here. I just picked mine up today and after several hours of tinkering, along with multiple google/youtube/forum searches, and I cannot figure out how to stream the dvd player to the tablets. My kids are 5 and 2, so having dvd capability is a must. It seems silly that I should have to plug in a dvd player to stream to the two tablets. Hopefully someone will put a good tutorial out there or these are going back to the dealer.

Also, the tablet is nothing like the detachable that audi demo'd last year. These tablets are all one piece so taking them out and using them as a "tablet" is not the greatest option. They are super heavy and the mount does not fold all the way into the back of the tablet.
The mount definitely folds back. I agree that they are much bulkier than the tablets in the video.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default RSE for 2017 Q7 is horrible

Check out my detailed review in the MKII Discussion as a new thread
Old 03-04-2016, 10:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by baltfan
I have them. The kids like them a lot. It is nice that you can plug them into the back of the headrest to charge. Work like a slightly limited Android tablet. They have plastic "glass" so safe in accidents. You can play netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, etc. Can download games.

Only thing I can't figure out is a way to stream the DVD player output to the tablets. There is almost no info out there on the system.

The tablets are easily the best car entertainment system I have seen. Everyone should get the pre wiring. As for the tablets, just depends on your kids. Younger ones for sure they are great. Teens just use iPads.
THIS IS THE WORST SYSTEM I'VE EVER SEEN!!!

See my post today in teh MKII Discussion - look for HORRIBLE! Very detailed review of RSE system.