Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Base sound system is terrible, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, took the car up to the dealer and had them listen, discovered one of the tweeters on the driver side on the pillar was bad. The tech said he had never seen the issue before on a new vehicle. Ordered a replacement that should be in in a couple of days hopefully. Will use your recommendation for settings after replacement
Old 03-09-2017, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see the result if anyone decides to do an aftermarket upgrade of the base system? I have to admit, the mid-level system in my 2014 Q7 (came standard on the P+ then, wasn't an $1,100 option like it is on the MKII) sounds better than the 3D Bose on my 2017. It may be that i haven't broken it in yet, or that I haven't quite found the right settings, but the bass and overall sound just sounds fuller on the 2014. Just my two cents!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone upgraded the Bose system to add an additional subwoofer?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dholi
Has anyone upgraded the Bose system to add an additional subwoofer?
Ive seen this done on a s7 on youtube...might be possible on ours
Old 03-27-2017, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sure am glad I opted to get the Bose and not a similarly-equipped on-lot car! About 2-3 weeks until delivery, can't wait!

Fortunately, I did do a sound comparison and loved the much richer bass and highs of the Bose for a relatively reasonable $1100.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FairwellQ7TDI
I'd love to see the result if anyone decides to do an aftermarket upgrade of the base system? I have to admit, the mid-level system in my 2014 Q7 (came standard on the P+ then, wasn't an $1,100 option like it is on the MKII) sounds better than the 3D Bose on my 2017. It may be that i haven't broken it in yet, or that I haven't quite found the right settings, but the bass and overall sound just sounds fuller on the 2014. Just my two cents!
Thought I'd follow up on this comment after tweaking the sound settings and breaking in the system for a few more weeks. I actually now believe that the 3D Bose upgrade on the MKiii is superior to the comparable upgrade on the prior generation Q7. The fullness and bass are about equivalent, but the clarity and crispness of the 2017 system is definitely improved. This makes me feel better about the fact that it was an $1,100 option on top of the P+ package where it was included quite the P+ on the prior generation.

Bottom line, I'm very pleased and honestly would rather replace the sub woofer with a stealth $2k custom add-on before opting for the $5k B&O upgrade. Clearer low-end is really all that I think is missing, the rest is all just customation and finding the right settings. And for most, no more low-end is really necessary. (I like my old-school Snoop and Dr.Dre here and there, brings me back to my high school days...)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Found the thread, thanks. Lots of good info there

Know of anyone who has built a custom enclosure for the new q7?

Originally Posted by Dasaint
Ive seen this done on a s7 on youtube...might be possible on ours
Old 03-30-2017, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dholi
Found the thread, thanks. Lots of good info there

Know of anyone who has built a custom enclosure for the new q7?

Not as far as I know. I did mine by used used speakers, see link below:

Upgrading factory 'Audi Audio' DIY - Page 5
Old 04-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone replaced the bose sub with a better sub (jl 8w3) that was amplified in the new q7

I got the sub box out and looks like an 8 inch sub with ~4 inch depth. There is room to mount an amp over the existing bose amp.

the car battery is in the front passenger floorboard, so have to route a power wire back to the trunk

still need to locate a ground tap in the rear and maybe a 12v power. If anyone has any feedback, would greatly be appreciated
Old 04-14-2017, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone?

Quick Reply: Base sound system is terrible, any suggestions?