Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Car Play and Parking Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems strange that it went from an intermittent problem for most to doing all the time for those impacted. I’m going to try re-setting CarPlay on my phone and set up again to see if that makes a difference.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mccfaepdx
I did some research and it appears ios 11 and carplay was not a success for everyone. A lot of different issues across different car types, some of which have been resolved with updates. I think I have a work around for us until Tim Cook get's to our problem. This worked for me the past ~10 times it's happened and although not perfect it's WAY better than fumbling around under the armrest to reconnect the phone.

Setup:
2017 Prestige
iOS 11.2.1

Problem:
When parking sensors are activated, manually or automatically, you get kicked out of Carplay and when you try and select it again it seems to attempt to open it but fails and returns you to the main MMI screen. CarPlay does not stop playing but you cannot enter to change/see anything.

Workaround:
When you are kicked out select "Media" using the buttons on the MMI control panel. Carplay will stop playing at that moment and 1 of 2 things can happen.
1) Carplay instantly returns and you can press "Play" to continue.
2) Media menu is shown on screen. At that point I can return to main menu and select Carplay as normal.

Let me know if this works for you fols as I would still like to understand if the issue is common across multiple users or I'm the special one
THanks for the solution, it worked once but then i couldnt get it to work other times and i had to unplug and then plug the phone back in. Really annoying esp. when ur driving.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

weird... I tried this several times over the weekend and had no issues. I wonder what's different...

Plugged in phone which was set to go to carplay. Music (Apple Music) started playing and I set up my map, picked destination, etc using the car interface. I then put in reverse, backed out of spot (cameras popped on)... put it back in gear, drove away, and my map came right back up with no issues. Music kept playing without issue and Audi interface returned properly to maps. I did this numerous times - never a hiccup.

2017 Prestige and iPhone 7 with ios 11.2.1.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bfishernc
weird... I tried this several times over the weekend and had no issues. I wonder what's different...

Plugged in phone which was set to go to carplay. Music (Apple Music) started playing and I set up my map, picked destination, etc using the car interface. I then put in reverse, backed out of spot (cameras popped on)... put it back in gear, drove away, and my map came right back up with no issues. Music kept playing without issue and Audi interface returned properly to maps. I did this numerous times - never a hiccup.

2017 Prestige and iPhone 7 with ios 11.2.1.
I did some investigation yesterday and i have confirmed that the solution you proposed works if you have music streaming or playing through apple music. As you mentioned you get kicked out then you press the media button yo can then go back into car play. But if you plug your phone in and are not playing music and then kicked out the solution does not work and the only thing that works for me is to unplug and then plug the phone back in.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by zoharulz
I did some investigation yesterday and i have confirmed that the solution you proposed works if you have music streaming or playing through apple music. As you mentioned you get kicked out then you press the media button yo can then go back into car play. But if you plug your phone in and are not playing music and then kicked out the solution does not work and the only thing that works for me is to unplug and then plug the phone back in.
Sorry i meant solution posted by @mccfaepdx.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there anyway to check what Audi MMI version people are running with and without these problems?

I have the same exact problem with my phone and my Q7 - need to unplug / replug after going in reverse or if sensors come active during regular driving. I use my iPhone and Car Play without any glitch at all in a Chevy Tahoe - you would think it would only perform better in a luxury car...
Old 01-26-2018, 03:14 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Similar but seemingly related... If i plug in the iPhone (ios verison 11.2.2) right after starting the car, MMI auto switches to iphone music. Once this happens it has been impossible to switch back to regular radio until I stop/start ignition again...
if I wait until I have the radio going, I believe that plugging the apple in later does NOT take over the system.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

That’s weird... I have not seen this issue at all. I can hit the radio toggle and it works. 2017 Prestige, iOS11.2.2
Old 02-10-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Has anyone been to the dealer about this yet? It is driving me nuts.

When I am driving in town in lanes of traffic, my front sensors occasionally flash up very briefly then MMI kicks me out of carplay screen. After reading this thread today, I can usually switch to MEDIA or RADIO and switch back, but not every time.

On a similar theme, my front sensors seem to be really sensitive all of a sudden. Bleep every time I pull off my drive (which slopes down to the road), which it never used to do!
Old 02-12-2018, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by medicsource
Has anyone been to the dealer about this yet? It is driving me nuts.

When I am driving in town in lanes of traffic, my front sensors occasionally flash up very briefly then MMI kicks me out of carplay screen. After reading this thread today, I can usually switch to MEDIA or RADIO and switch back, but not every time.

On a similar theme, my front sensors seem to be really sensitive all of a sudden. Bleep every time I pull off my drive (which slopes down to the road), which it never used to do!

had my Q7 at the dealer last week. reported the issue, picked the vehicle up and was told there was a software update to correct the issue. they did not fix the problem it's still kicking me out of carplay after the cameras turn on.

Quick Reply: Car Play and Parking Sensors