Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Car turning off by itself when park?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Or ask other people who own the same model car.
And that's one of the many reasons we are here, to help each other. If people have nothing helpful to add why bother, we all know we can find answers in the manual but sometimes while sitting at your office, or wherever, you may not have access to the manual and a question pops in your head, and you ask yourself " I wonder if other forum members have this issue / question". Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here you go found this in the manual
Old 10-25-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
You still need to press the button (with your foot off the brake) to tell the car you are leaving so it cuts off power to everything, like radio, A/C, lights etc.. Unless, pressing the lock on FOB does that for you, you can test it. I am comparing it to my X5, and it actually requires two pushes to completely turn everything off. One press to turn off the engine, 2nd press to turn off everything else, which you can also turn off by locking the car on FOB or touching the handle.
If the engine has shut off, locking the doors via fob or keyless entry will power everything down. This is the case on BMW or the Q7
Old 10-25-2017, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

According this this, if the engine is in a "stop" mode, and you press the button, the car will turn off. Just as I would expect it to. But the reason for this topic is that I think the car is sometimes starting when I press the button when in a stop mode-specifically when I put the car into park. Unless, as I first said, I am imagining it (or forgot that I had turned the car off). Just because I have my foot on the brake should not be a reason for the car to not power down and turn off as usual.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 10-25-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Question - does that mean that you never need to turn the car off with the button? I have been doing that as that was what my Ford did. But does everyone just put the car into park, get out and lock the door without touching anything?
No, that is not true because as you've likely observed, the car doesn't always shut down by itself when you are at a stop light or have put the car in park. There are many factors the auto start/stop folows. So if the engine is already off, all you have to do is exit the Q and hit the handle or fob to lock and shut down all power
Old 10-25-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was thinking the same thing the other day, "Why does the car keep turning back on when I press the ON/OFF button after I park?" I now have a better understanding of the "feature" and will have to test it out some more. It really doesn't sit well with my habit of pressing the ON/OFF button after I have put the car in park and I'm ready to get out. I don't know why the ON/OFF button needs to turn the engine on when it has been auto shut-off. The button is not necessarily an "engine" on/off button, it's an ignition on/off. If I put the car in park and it decides to shut the engine off 1/2 a second before I reach the ON/OFF button, that is completely unnecessary cycling of the engine components.

The internal combustion engine was not designed to consistently cycle on and off, in fact, this is one of the most stressful conditions for the engine to be in. read more here if interested: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...r-car-s-engine

I'm getting used to the auto start-stop feature and trying to accept it, but the unnecessary restarting of the engine when I try to turn off the ignition needs to be re-programmed. I'm not going to change my habit to deliberately not pressing the on/off button as I exit the car, with the intention of the car's ignition automatically shutting off. Too many variables, maybe auto on/off isn't on, maybe it's not in Park, maybe I'm not in a car with this feature and I've developed a bad habit of not shutting the car off when exiting. Just doesn't make any practical sense.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
So if the engine is already off, all you have to do is exit the Q and hit the handle or fob to lock and shut down all power
Too many times I'm listening to music loudly and park the car, unaware if the engine has shut-off and I press the IGNITION On/Off button, and the engine cycles. Completely stupid. No one is trying to manually turn on the engine when they press this button. It should just shut the ignition off, whether or not the engine is already off.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
NSo if the engine is already off, all you have to do is exit the Q and hit the handle or fob to lock and shut down all power
Well ok, but are you also saying if you do want to turn it off with the button, as you normally do, it should not turn off but restart the engine?
Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Trevor K
Too many times I'm listening to music loudly and park the car, unaware if the engine has shut-off and I press the IGNITION On/Off button, and the engine cycles. Completely stupid. No one is trying to manually turn on the engine when they press this button. It should just shut the ignition off, whether or not the engine is already off.
Yeah. One would think if the car is in off mode and powered down, pressing that button should put the car into on mode and start it. And if the car is in on mode, pressing that button should put the car into off mode and power down. The state of the automatic fuel-saving start/stop system should play no role in this logic. If I wanted to restart the engine in "stop" mode, wouldn't I just release some pressure from the brake as one normally does to restart the engine?
Old 10-25-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Trevor K
I'm getting used to the auto start-stop feature and trying to accept it, but the unnecessary restarting of the engine when I try to turn off the ignition needs to be re-programmed. I'm not going to change my habit to deliberately not pressing the on/off button as I exit the car, with the intention of the car's ignition automatically shutting off. Too many variables, maybe auto on/off isn't on, maybe it's not in Park, maybe I'm not in a car with this feature and I've developed a bad habit of not shutting the car off when exiting. Just doesn't make any practical sense.
I think you may just need getting used to. I've been driving start/stop vehicles for a few years and here's what I do. I enter driveway (or parking space) and as I come to a complete stop, the engine usually stops on its own. Then with the radio already running i exit the vehicle, and close the door. Touch door handle and the car locks and shuts down completely. Seldom the engine does not stop and I have to hit the button first

Quick Reply: Car turning off by itself when park?