Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Car turning off by itself when park?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is the thing. You have gotten used to it. That is why inexperienced people can often find software bugs - because they have not yet learned to work around them.

The fuel-saving stop/start system is transparent and should not require you knowing what mode it is in. You are not even supposed to know if the engine stopped, and with the Q7's smooth engine, sometimes I don't know, especially with music on.

So, this is a UI / logic error in the design. And in fact, the manual says it is not supposed to happen.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I push the park button and then the off(/on) button to turn the engine off. Never had a problem.

You can shortcut it and skip the 'park button' and it'll do both but I don't want to get in that habit and start doing it with cars that don't work that way.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
I push the park button and then the off(/on) button to turn the engine off. Never had a problem.
It only happens when the start/stop system decides to stop the engine first, and perhaps when you also have your foot on the brake. For this reason, it doesn't always happen, only sometimes.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think what we have concluded is this occurs when the auto on/off feature is on and the brake pedal is depressed when you park the car. As long as you keep your foot on the brake, the car shuts the engine down before you put the vehicle in Park. The engine remains off until you press the on/off button and the engine restarts.

You may not have noticed because you may take your foot off the brake after pressing Park or you press Park before the engine has the opportunity to shut-off.

You can shortcut it and skip the 'park button' and it'll do both but I don't want to get in that habit and start doing it with cars that don't work that way.
I've done that a lot of times as well. Any car I've ever driven with an on/off ignition button (as compared to key) puts the transmission in Park when you press the on/off button.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
It only happens when the start/stop system decides to stop the engine first, and perhaps when you also have your foot on the brake. For this reason, it doesn't always happen, only sometimes.
Thats what it looks like. I've never had the engine turn off right after hitting park.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

The fuel-saving stop/start system is transparent and should not require you knowing what mode it is in. You are not even supposed to know if the engine stopped, and with the Q7's smooth engine, sometimes I don't know, especially with music on.
I agree with this, it should be completely transparent. My mom has a 2007 Prius which doesn't turn the gasoline engine back on when you press the ignition button to shut it down and your foot is on the brake. Come on Audi, get it right!

So, this is a UI / logic error in the design. And in fact, the manual says it is not supposed to happen.
Do you think they will ever update the software and fix this? Where is it in the manual?
Old 10-25-2017, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

For all those having trouble. Just take your foot off the brake after you've put the car in Park and then press the button. It's pretty simple
Old 10-25-2017, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
For all those having trouble. Just take your foot off the brake after you've put the car in Park and then press the button. It's pretty simple
1. This still cycles the engine on then off.
2. I prefer to keep my foot on the brake until the ignition is off. With the stupid Park button design, I'm not even positive half the time that the car is in fact in Park. I keep my foot on the break until the ignition is off and I go to step out of the car. Always have, always will. Maybe this comes from driving a manual transmission car for so many years where I developed a habit to ensure the clutch was depressed until the engine was off. With automatic cars, I have always kept my foot on the brake until the engine/ignition is off.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just came to a stop. Engine stopped. Pushed Park button. Then pushed the startenginestop button. Engine didn’t start. Car shut down.

So I am not sure exactly when this happens.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just came to a stop. Engine stopped. Pushed Park button. Then pushed the startenginestop button. Engine didn’t start. Car shut down.

So I am not sure exactly when this happens.
Was your foot on the brake when you pressed the on/off button at the end?

Quick Reply: Car turning off by itself when park?