Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Car turning off by itself when park?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by R Brantley
I can't imagine what circumstances there would be that I would even look for. It happens in the garage, outside, rain, sunshine. It happened again yesterday when I pulled into a outdoor parking space. Foot on brake, press P, press Start/Stop and the engine started instead of shutting everything off like it does 90% of the time.
"Foot on brake" That's what starts the car back up again
The following users liked this post:
MikeyMikeMike (02-19-2022)
Old 04-12-2019, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The car shouldn't have turned off when I pressed P on the shifter so it shouldn't have started back up again. To test that theory I just did the following:

I just started my car, put it in drive and pulled a few feet forward with my foot off the brake. Then I put my foot on the brake, stopped the car and then pressed P on the shifter. While my foot was still on the brake I hit the Start/Stop button and the car shut off it didn't start back up again.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
This is how all auto start/stop vehicles are designed. Its a safety feature, and my cars do the same when I stop at a mailbox and get out. I think most of the confusion on this thread is related to understanding how this all works and what events trigger start/stop. After reading the manual (or using it for a while), it will all make sense
My Q7 is not consistent in this regard. I regularly drop my son off/pick him up at a friend's house, and when I do I always go to the door. More often than not, when I come back to the car it is off. But not always. 1/4 to 1/3 of the time it has remained running.

I do agree the behavior that is the primary thread topic is stupid. The engine will restart if I put the car back in gear and take my foot off the brake--that's the way the auto start/stop is supposed to work. It should not restart when the engine start/stop button is pressed.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by R Brantley
The car shouldn't have turned off when I pressed P on the shifter so it shouldn't have started back up again. To test that theory I just did the following:

I just started my car, put it in drive and pulled a few feet forward with my foot off the brake. Then I put my foot on the brake, stopped the car and then pressed P on the shifter. While my foot was still on the brake I hit the Start/Stop button and the car shut off it didn't start back up again.
There are a lot of conditions that need to be met in order for S/S to start working. read the manual. Your brief test tells me nothing really.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Not sure if I am imagining this.

Sometimes when I park the Q7, and push the park button on the gear selector, and then press the ignition button to turn off the car before getting out, the car actually starts. Isn't the ignition button how you turn off the car?

Now sure, the engine automatic stop/start had already stopped the engine, but still, I don't see that as a reason to restart the car when I push the button to power the car down.
I have had my Q7 has shut off when in park too. Random occurrence. Very weird.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I bet that before parking the transmission was set in "D" with automatic stop/start being active . If car battery is in prime charging conditions at the moment, I see no reason why auto stop/start should not continue to be operational in "Park" mode. I also believe that if a driver will open a door - the engine will not get restarted. I'd rather call it logical than weird. I admit that since this thing happens very seldom I had no chance to reconfirm my recollections how it works recently.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

There have been a fair number of things that have been disappointing about this car, and this is one of them. Its not consistent which is most annoying. Sometimes I stop to get my mail and the engine is off and I need to press the start button when I return, other times the engine is stopped but shifting into drive and the engine starts, still other times the engine is still running. I get the same variability when going in my garage.

And the voice navigation. A mess. I recently asked it to "Go To McDonalds" and the only option that came up was McDonalds Mortuary about 500 miles away. Yeah, that is what I was looking for.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing to do with all of this but still pretty cool. Have you ever shut off your car while still in gear? If not, try it. First push the shifter over to the right so you are in manual mode. Then stop the car and just shut off the engine by pushing the start/stop button. Watch the shifter. If you already knew this trick, sorry to bother. But if you've never done it it's kind of cool.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am super late to this thread but did anyone figure out why I turns off on its own when put in park? Is it the speed you drive. I noticed it happens when I am adjusting to park close to a curb or reversing into a parking spot. I put it in park and it turns off the car with in 5-10 seconds.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

Between not being able to !ock the car with the ignition on (from the factory) to this... These are my least favorite "features" of the new Audis... So irritating.

Quick Reply: Car turning off by itself when park?