Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

clicking sound when turning steering wheel with turn signal on

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear it's not normal and hopefully they will get it fixed. I did wonder when this issue was raised just how bad it was. Coming from BMW, I don't think the Audi indicator mechanism is anywhere near as good.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this issue as well. Was clicking loudly up to six times per turn. On Monday the assembly was replaced no questions asked. So far so good after one day's live testing. Sounds is now normal.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mnaps
Had this issue as well. Was clicking loudly up to six times per turn. On Monday the assembly was replaced no questions asked. So far so good after one day's live testing. Sounds is now normal.
That's really great to hear! Mine currently at dealer having it replaced as I type this. May I ask who your dealer is? Could be helpful in case I encounter any hiccups. Perhaps if needed my dealer could then talk to your dealers shop forman. Thanks!!
Old 05-11-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, I know most will not care around here as it is clear now that this was a much more isolated issue, but I got my Q back today and very very very happy to report my turn signal click issue was completely fixed! They installed a whole new turn signal assembly and now its nice and feather soft quiet when the signal cancels. I could not be more thrilled.

I never understood how there could not be a ton of complaints on the board about this, but I see that few and far between have the problem. If you do however, do not let your dealer tell you its normal. Yes, the mechanics of it are indeed normal, but to have a loud cracking click at every turn is not. Perhaps Audi has changed its suppliers of the assemblies as the A4 loaner I had was feather soft quite as well.

I hope this is a good riddance to this issue one and for all
Old 05-11-2017, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Its amazing to me that this is still a mechanical setup in the Q while most have switched to an electrical system. There really should be no clicking while turning the wheel, and when cancelling. But i guess Audi still using an older setup
Old 05-26-2018, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Meyecul, I just wondered how lound was the cracking noice you had? My car does sometimes give two cracking sounds in one turn but they are not loud loud, but certainly noticeable.
Jay
Old 05-27-2018, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jay Gao
Hi Meyecul, I just wondered how lound was the cracking noice you had? My car does sometimes give two cracking sounds in one turn but they are not loud loud, but certainly noticeable.
Jay
Hi Jay,

It's loud enough to be annoying given that virtually every other non VAG branded vehicle does not use such a loud cancel mechanism. However, it seems very few on the forums complain about it. After my last repair, the sound of course came back. I would say its slightly less of a "crack" sounding and a touch more smooth of a click, but it's the one thing that I despise about the car. I have given up and just have accepted this is how it is. The thing is in theory nothing is wrong as the mechanics were actually designed this way (to me thats more annoying even still as it is sooo not necessary). What I still do not understand is how the signal assembly can be replaced and the sound is virtually silent for a short time, only to return. My best guess is the part is heavily greased at the contact points during mfg and a short time that lube gives way to more friction within the mechanics and thus the the click. If you do some looking around the web and view pretty much any VAG driving videos they are all doing it (Cayenne, All Audi's, Bentley etc). So there ya go. Hope its of some help.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I love my Audi but recently started to experience this in my Q5 and it is VERY annoying. I took it to my dealership and we checked out a bunch of cars on the lot, none of them were so loud. The service guy however insisted this is normal, and showed me a 'new' steering assembly that made a similar click noise. He said since there is no functional issues, Audi will not reimburse for a new part even under warranty. He said all Audi cars experience this after they have been 'broken in', whatever that means.

I am happy that you were able to get this fixed. Is it fine now or did you start hearing it again after some time ? If you don't mind, can you share your service record or something for this ? Anything that would help me make my dealership cave for a replacement..
Old 09-28-2019, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mnaps
I love my Audi but recently started to experience this in my Q5 and it is VERY annoying. I took it to my dealership and we checked out a bunch of cars on the lot, none of them were so loud. The service guy however insisted this is normal, and showed me a 'new' steering assembly that made a similar click noise. He said since there is no functional issues, Audi will not reimburse for a new part even under warranty. He said all Audi cars experience this after they have been 'broken in', whatever that means.

I am happy that you were able to get this fixed. Is it fine now or did you start hearing it again after some time ? If you don't mind, can you share your service record or something for this ? Anything that would help me make my dealership cave for a replacement..
Old 09-28-2019, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey all... I was one of (if not the first) here to complain about this back in 2017 on my Q7 and have discussed it within numerous threads here.

After many go arounds with my dealer and replacing it twice, it may seem fixed at first but from my experience, it's not going away. It is a poor assembly design (or I should say a poor parts choice) that is used in a number of VAG vehicles.

Ronnie25....I believe many do not notice it at first (like when tested on your dealer lot) because when a vehicle is new the assembly mechanics are also new and internally greased from the supplier that provides it to VAG. In time (usually a very short time) of use of the signal return click, it will gradually get louder. For some it may be louder than others and this is due to the variable tolerances of the mechanisms within the assemblies when the signal cancels (luck of the parts bin draw I guess). My brand new Porsche Cayenne signal was silent when I drove it off the lot and now it too a couple months later makes the sound (albeit not has harsh as my Q was). Another thing that can make a difference as to whether the sound is annoying or not for some and not for others is in some vehicles the click has a smooth softer "rounded off" audible note to it while others have a sharp crack type click. My Q7 had the crack and it was loud and super annoying.

I would say for anyone that is bothered by this issue...you gotta to try and forget about it and enjoy the vehicle. I know its hard not hear it and be annoyed once you start being bugged, but if you accept that this is just how it is, you should get used to it. I was less annoyed with my Q7 after I just accepted it.

Last edited by Meyecul; 09-28-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: clicking sound when turning steering wheel with turn signal on