Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dashcam installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok... need to find the optimum settings now...

Set my low voltage to 12.2 for 10s, set my High to 12.6 for 30s. So it will cut off if it sees 12.2 or below for 10 seconds, and cut on if it sees 12.6 or above for 30 seconds. Camera is set to record highest setting with 10 minute loop.
Camera never cut off at all last night, retains around 5 hours of video before getting full and having to overwrite. Going to try 12.4 for low tonight...

What settings are you using to get 36 hours? Also what is the difference between the park option and the motion detector option? Info I'm finding is in not very clear english.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by VanDamme
What settings are you using to get 36 hours? Also what is the difference between the park option and the motion detector option? Info I'm finding is in not very clear english.
I have my voltage module set to cut off at about 11.5V. Seems as though the car's warning on the VC comes on at about 11.2. Car still started easily at 11.2. I am only seeing about 12.1 when it's fully charged, but mine is 1.5 years old so that may be why.

I haven't seen anything for the A119 called "park mode"; I've only seen motion detection mode.

About 5 hours is also what I'm seeing on a 64GB cards when recording in 1440/30.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
I have my voltage module set to cut off at about 11.5V. Seems as though the car's warning on the VC comes on at about 11.2. Car still started easily at 11.2. I am only seeing about 12.1 when it's fully charged, but mine is 1.5 years old so that may be why.

I haven't seen anything for the A119 called "park mode"; I've only seen motion detection mode.

About 5 hours is also what I'm seeing on a 64GB cards when recording in 1440/30.
My voltage shows between 12.8 and 12.6 when the car is off... Haven't seen it drop below that yet...
Check your firmware on the A119. Mine came with version 2. something(no Parking mode) and I updated it to version 3.3(new Parking mode).
So I think i'm going to try Parking Mode(not Motion Sensing)

Found this info on Support : VIOFO

The sequence of events/modes is typically this:

Normal recording always at power up (at the Resolution/fps set in the appropriate Settings menu).

Normal recording is kept going by continued camera movement either via (G-sensor) and/or motion in the camera FOV ( i.e.- no quiet periods over 1.5 minutes).

The A119 will not switch modes until there is a quiet period for 1.5 minutes, then it switches to Standby (not recording).

Whenever motion is detected in the camera lens FOV again (but no physical camera movement via the G-sensor), the A119 will switch to Time-lapse recording at the fps selected in the Parking Mode menu setting. (note that if you select typical 5fps in the Parking Mode then the Motion Detection setting is no longer required/allowed). Motion in the camera lens FOV (with no physical camera movement) will then keep the A119 recording in Time-lapse mode until either of two things happen:
1) If a quiet period again occurs for 1.5 minutes, the A119 will stop recording (go into Standby) or:
2) If camera physical movement is detected by the G-sensor (eg. simply the car engine running/vibration), the A119 will switch back to Normal recording.

G-sensor activity will always switch the A119 back to Normal recording from either Standby or Time-lapse recording.

To go back to Time-lapse recording, the cycle must repeat sequentially, i.e., Normal to Standby to Time lapse.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My voltage shows between 12.8 and 12.6 when the car is off... Haven't seen it drop below that yet...
Check your firmware on the A119. Mine came with version 2. something(no Parking mode) and I updated it to version 3.3(new Parking mode).
So I think i'm going to try Parking Mode(not Motion Sensing)

Found this info on Support : VIOFO
Interesting. The question I have is can you leave it in Parking Mode all the time? I know that, for me, if I have to remember to put it into and out of parking mode, it's not going to happen. Plus... annoying to have to open the rear lid and sit in an awkward position to change settings on the rear unit.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting. The question I have is can you leave it in Parking Mode all the time? I know that, for me, if I have to remember to put it into and out of parking mode, it's not going to happen. Plus... annoying to have to open the rear lid and sit in an awkward position to change settings on the rear unit.
From what I understand, once you put it in Parking mode it stays and automatically switches between the 3 states. I'm testing it out now and let you know what I find...
Old 11-09-2017, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

So testing completed and I like the results... With parking mode turned on, I was able to get 7 hours worth of video into 12 GB of space. No turning on\off of parking mode, it handled it automatically. The nice thing is that the time-lapse\parking files have a P appended to them to identify them as Parking video versus normal video.

I think i will tweak the settings a bit more, to see if I can increase the sensitivity of the shock sensor and decrease the sensitivity of the motion sensor, here's why... It started recording after I finished making my settings. After 1 minute with no shock or motion, it entered standby. While parked in my driveway, it recorded a number of events some started by valid events(cars driving by, wife going to the mailbox, etc) and some just by environmental events(cloud movement and shadows). Hopefully reducing the sensitivity will help reduce the environmental events. Camera entered standby after no motion for 15 secs after each event. As i went to pick the kids up from school, a time-lapse video was started, the shock sensor apparently didn't kick until I had reached the bottom of my semi-steep driveway. I guess the Q7 is to comfy for the shock sensor to get engine vibration. Normal recording mode started and continued until I returned and the car sat without shock input for 1 minute.(I says shock input because there was still motion going on from my neighbors when it switched from Normal to Parking mode) It entered parking mode and proceeded to record time-lapse video of motion events.

I took a few trips, and each time, normal mode did not activate until i reached the bump at the bottom of my driveway.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So testing completed and I like the results... With parking mode turned on, I was able to get 7 hours worth of video into 12 GB of space. No turning on\off of parking mode, it handled it automatically. The nice thing is that the time-lapse\parking files have a P appended to them to identify them as Parking video versus normal video.

I think i will tweak the settings a bit more, to see if I can increase the sensitivity of the shock sensor and decrease the sensitivity of the motion sensor, here's why... It started recording after I finished making my settings. After 1 minute with no shock or motion, it entered standby. While parked in my driveway, it recorded a number of events some started by valid events(cars driving by, wife going to the mailbox, etc) and some just by environmental events(cloud movement and shadows). Hopefully reducing the sensitivity will help reduce the environmental events. Camera entered standby after no motion for 15 secs after each event. As i went to pick the kids up from school, a time-lapse video was started, the shock sensor apparently didn't kick until I had reached the bottom of my semi-steep driveway. I guess the Q7 is to comfy for the shock sensor to get engine vibration. Normal recording mode started and continued until I returned and the car sat without shock input for 1 minute.(I says shock input because there was still motion going on from my neighbors when it switched from Normal to Parking mode) It entered parking mode and proceeded to record time-lapse video of motion events.

I took a few trips, and each time, normal mode did not activate until i reached the bump at the bottom of my driveway.
I don't think there's a setting for motion sensitivity. The default for G sensor is medium, but I read somewhere it is recommended to set it to low. That may be to prevent too many locked files from what it reads as a crash. So, if you set it to high, you may end up with many crash events.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think there's a setting for motion sensitivity. The default for G sensor is medium, but I read somewhere it is recommended to set it to low. That may be to prevent too many locked files from what it reads as a crash. So, if you set it to high, you may end up with many crash events.
Just adjusted it to High... Will see what it does tomorrow... No problem setting it back to Medium... No big deal starting once i get in the street...
Old 11-10-2017, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Seems to have worked a bit better... Once parked in the garage, recording stops after 1 minute No motion/No recording from 10pm to 5am... Normal video starts as my tire drops off the lip of my garage. Continues as i drive and stops 1 minute after I return and park in driveway. A few bogus motion clips as the sun comes up. Normal video starts when I start the car...

Not too bad. I'll just have to live with the extra motion clips, or always park in the garage. One drawback mentioned on the dashcamtalk.com website is that there is no buffer for the motion recording. So you may miss the actual motion that sets off the recording(i.e. As I walk behind the Q7, recorded video starts when i'm about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way by already..)
Old 11-10-2017, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Three is so much info on dashcamtalk.com's forum, I don't have time to study it. But I did see this from 5cowbells, who seems to be somewhat of an expert:

5CowBells: Parking Mode is more complex and uses the G-sensor and motion detection sensing, and you can leave it on continuously, while driving or parked
He is describing parking mode in relation to motion sensing mode. Good to know that it's okay to leave parking mode on all the time, even while driving.

Quick Reply: Dashcam installation