Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dealer blames me for a problem they can't fix.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgiman
I posted about intermittent failures of my soft close doors in another post. Other people have also reported this issue with their Q7. After a month at the dealer and a regional engineer looking at the problem, replacing the wiring harness in the driver's door etc. I took the car back. Two weeks later they mail me the paperwork and the diagnosis is......"system operating within design parameters. Operator error seems to be the cause."

At at no point did anyone say "here's what you're doing wrong" or " this is how you make the system work all the time." I've had soft close doors on multiple cars and am quite familiar with how the system works. I have asked Audi of America to contact me. The problem started after they replaced the driver's door soft close switch BTW.
HI I work at a Audi dealership. Here is what you need to do. Call the dealership and explain the situation. If you are doing something wrong see an adviser and ask him to have the car looked at by the shop foreman and to have you there to duplicate the concern. sometimes these things are just misunderstandings that can be frustrating believe me I know. Next if the problem is found let them fix it and when the vehicle is picked up ask to do the same thing. If the problem persists contact Audi of America and let them know your situation and have these things handy 1) all documents to service visits, 2) How many days the vehicle was down, 3) The letter from Audi and Finally how many attempts at the repair. They will then proceed forward with analyzing what the next step will be. Audi is big on their customer service and they in my experience have done the right thing for customers within the reasonable parameters. Good luck Contact me if you have any further info maybe I can help further. Located in NYC?
Old 03-27-2018, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by QueensAudiguy
HI I work at a Audi dealership. Here is what you need to do. Call the dealership and explain the situation. If you are doing something wrong see an adviser and ask him to have the car looked at by the shop foreman and to have you there to duplicate the concern. sometimes these things are just misunderstandings that can be frustrating believe me I know. Next if the problem is found let them fix it and when the vehicle is picked up ask to do the same thing. If the problem persists contact Audi of America and let them know your situation and have these things handy 1) all documents to service visits, 2) How many days the vehicle was down, 3) The letter from Audi and Finally how many attempts at the repair. They will then proceed forward with analyzing what the next step will be. Audi is big on their customer service and they in my experience have done the right thing for customers within the reasonable parameters. Good luck Contact me if you have any further info maybe I can help further. Located in NYC?
QueensAudiguy I'm in Texas. I think I've done everything you suggest. I videoed the problem and got it to malfunction in front of the service writer and the shop foreman. The shop foreman and I discussed the problem at length. They actually know what the issue is but not how to repair it. I was shocked they chose to call it operator error.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Corgiman,

Interestingly we've noticed when say the drivers door soft close doesn't work, the other doors still do, but in most cases a restart temporarily fixes the issue. So if a restart fixes it (sounds like a software issue), replacing the driver's door soft close module doesn't make sense and that's probably why it hasn't fixed the issue for you. Since the last software update we have had a whole host of issues that were never an issue previously. Our patience is running very thin with our beloved Q7 and Audi.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RJC 1
Corgiman,

Interestingly we've noticed when say the drivers door soft close doesn't work, the other doors still do, but in most cases a restart temporarily fixes the issue. So if a restart fixes it (sounds like a software issue), replacing the driver's door soft close module doesn't make sense and that's probably why it hasn't fixed the issue for you. Since the last software update we have had a whole host of issues that were never an issue previously. Our patience is running very thin with our beloved Q7 and Audi.
RJC 1 : I've noticed the exact same thing. Interestingly if you tug gently on the door handle it auto closes. Also seems to always work properly if the tailgate is open. I think it's a software issue. These types of intermittent malfunctions can really chip away at your enjoyment of the car.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

RJC 1 : I've noticed the exact same thing. Interestingly if you tug gently on the door handle it auto closes. Also seems to always work properly if the tailgate is open. I think it's a software issue. These types of intermittent malfunctions can really chip away at your enjoyment of the car.
  • Please elaborate
  • Completely agree
Old 03-31-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

• Please elaborate
  • Completely agree
Trying to attach a video but can't. When the door doesn't auto close gently tug on the door handle and release and the door will then auto close. Don't pull hard enough to open the door.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

QueensAudiguy I'm in Texas. I think I've done everything you suggest. I videoed the problem and got it to malfunction in front of the service writer and the shop foreman. The shop foreman and I discussed the problem at length. They actually know what the issue is but not how to repair it. I was shocked they chose to call it operator error.
Try posting your location under your logon name, it will save you from having to post it multiple times in the same thread.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Trying to attach a video but can't. When the door doesn't auto close gently tug on the door handle and release and the door will then auto close. Don't pull hard enough to open the door.
I assume you mean the exterior handle? Does it also work with the interior handle when closing the door from inside?
Old 03-31-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I assume you mean the exterior handle? Does it also work with the interior handle when closing the door from inside?
Yes the exterior handle. If you're in the car bump the door outward with your knee or hand. It will close.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes the exterior handle. If you're in the car bump the door outward with your knee or hand. It will close.
So bizarre...
Thx

Quick Reply: Dealer blames me for a problem they can't fix.