Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dealer wants $600 to perform ACC Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Astropup
So why does my Honda, which also has ACC, lane keeping, auto braking, etc, not require this? I would ask them to tell me, very specifically, which features supposedly would not work and to what degree.

Also, by that argument, you would have to change the camera alignment every time you change tire pressure - and in the winter this can vary hugely just from overnight storage to freeway driving in the sun. It really does smell a bit like BS. The only way to know is to get as much technical detail (preferably from a well-informed but unbiased source) as possible and not just "this is recommended". Sadly, the techs probably only know what they are told to do, not exactly why. Way of the world these days.
I think you will find that your tires typically heat up or cool down in unison if they are all initially set to the same pressure. Keep in mind that DAS alignment tolerances are, in some cases, less than a degree. Here is another video that may be helpful:

An approach might be to change tires, drive the car to see how it performs, and then have calibration performed if you feel it is necessary, The risk there is the possibility of missing the performance of a particular DAS safety function. I will bet that systems in the future will have adaptive software/firmware performing the adjustments real-time. I am not speaking to the validity of calibration pricing, but equipment cost is on the order of $15 - $20K.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Thinking about it more. If the camera and wheel alignment were THAT tightly linked, then the system would go haywire if your alignment was off just a little. That does not appear to be case baed on everyday use. In addition, assuming that the calibration was done correctly at the factory, a wheel alignment should bring things BACK in spec. Since the cameras didn't move as the wheel alignment got messed up or realigned, everything should be back in spec and aligned again with just a wheel alignment.
Needing calibration after a windshield replacement is also controversial, but at least I can understand that one since the windshield mounted camera could be off a slight amount with a replacement, but the association with wheel alignment just makes no sense to me.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I would point out that many people in snowy areas change twice a year from winter tires to summer and back. Why does this not require re-calibration each time? The tires would not only be different but have different wear. I have done this many times this with my Honda and there is no noticeable difference in driver assistance system performance. And what about aftermarket wheels which often include offset differences? Are those folks doing a re calibration?

Not an issue for our upcoming Q7 since we will probably not be putting winter tires on that. The Ridgeline is quite spectacular in winter conditions with studs so will just drive that when conditions are bad - not a large percent of the winter where we live in any case.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,171 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
Thinking about it more. If the camera and wheel alignment were THAT tightly linked, then the system would go haywire if your alignment was off just a little. That does not appear to be case baed on everyday use. In addition, assuming that the calibration was done correctly at the factory, a wheel alignment should bring things BACK in spec. Since the cameras didn't move as the wheel alignment got messed up or realigned, everything should be back in spec and aligned again with just a wheel alignment.
Needing calibration after a windshield replacement is also controversial, but at least I can understand that one since the windshield mounted camera could be off a slight amount with a replacement, but the association with wheel alignment just makes no sense to me.
people are saying there is really no way to install the camera on the windshield incorrectly, but dealer thought otherwise and i did a calibration.

I would point out that many people in snowy areas change twice a year from winter tires to summer and back. Why does this not require re-calibration each time? The tires would not only be different but have different wear. I have done this many times this with my Honda and there is no noticeable difference in driver assistance system performance. And what about aftermarket wheels which often include offset differences? Are those folks doing a re calibration?

Not an issue for our upcoming Q7 since we will probably not be putting winter tires on that. The Ridgeline is quite spectacular in winter conditions with studs so will just drive that when conditions are bad - not a large percent of the winter where we live in any case.
this should not require an alignment, understand your camber specs may differ slightly between summer & winter due to overall wheel and tire height/circumference but it will not be noticeable to the naked eye.
my local dealer charged me high $400s for this dynamic alignment. not a bad idea to request driver assist module updates too, mine was 3 REVs out of date... they should do that free with the alignment...

Last edited by mhoran89; 06-18-2019 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
people are saying there is really no way to install the camera on the windshield incorrectly, but dealer thought otherwise and i did a calibration.

Perhaps true of the Audi with an OEM windshield but not true of my Honda. I just had a windshield replaced and they first tried an aftermarket. The camera bracket was crooked so they had to pull it and order an OEM windshield. That worked in the shop but not on the road so it had to go to the dealer for calibration. Works fine now but sure as heck I will never let anyone put in anything but OEM windshields. Cost me several hours of travel and more of waiting but no extra $$.
The following users liked this post:
AudiEV (04-12-2023)
Old 06-17-2019, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,171 Likes on 915 Posts

Perhaps true of the Audi with an OEM windshield but not true of my Honda. I just had a windshield replaced and they first tried an aftermarket. The camera bracket was crooked so they had to pull it and order an OEM windshield. That worked in the shop but not on the road so it had to go to the dealer for calibration. Works fine now but sure as heck I will never let anyone put in anything but OEM windshields. Cost me several hours of travel and more of waiting but no extra $$.
true, I went through windshields in a Subaru and was always out of luck since I needed one ASAP and they never seemed to have OEM glass...
OEM or bust, I will send the Safelite person home if they come without the real thing now...
Old 06-17-2019, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Dealer did an alignment today and said they recommend camera calibrations. Here is the kicker. I do not have ACC. My car is canadian so I have lane keep assist but not the advanced package which includes acc. They said since my cars alignment is being brought back to spec my cameras need to be calibrated. I think it was $600 or something insane. I declined. Guess what? Lane keep assist works perfect. *******s

Why dont they road test the cars to see if the cameras need it? You know why? Because its a scam.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Your tire tread depth and alignment all change over time, while getting new tires is likely to be a bigger change it should be closer to the original calibration the day after new tires than it was the day before.

I would only do the alignment if something seems off (or rich and paranoid of which I'm neither).
Old 06-19-2019, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rjabend
I think you will find that your tires typically heat up or cool down in unison if they are all initially set to the same pressure.
Perhaps, but with my Honda (again, my Q7 is in transit), the tire shop that swaps winter/summer tires for me pretty much ALWAYS gets the pressures not only wrong but as much as 10 pounds different between tires (Honda has PSI readout per tire). I have never seen any effect of this in the 5 miles or so of highway between the shop and when I get home and fix the pressures. If pressure is critical, there should be a difference.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon129
I got my q7 alignment done at the dealership for $250 it's just a normal alignment. I have driver assist package and the toe was off it's been 2 months and it's been fine.
Thats not true... A tire alignment, and the ACC alignment are two totally different things.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants $600 to perform ACC Alignment?