Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by paul07834
I have had the same issue with my 2017 Q7. Has happened 2 or 3 times over the last 2.5 years. Seems to happen when I really hit the accelerator hard when the car is stopped. I always turn off the auto start/stop and the car is in Sport mode at the time. Like the OP, so far it goes away and does not return when I turn the car off and wait a few minutes.

Paul
Doesn’t it store a code, though? So when you’ve taken it in for service or anything else at the dealer, are they just brushing it off? Like “oh malfunction code, oh well clear that ****** and send em on their way”
Old 11-01-2018, 10:49 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Just an update, since I first got this warning at the end of August it has not come back on and the Q has driven fine.. And in my case, I was in sport mode but wasn't accelerating hard just driving at a normal pace when it happened..
Old 11-01-2018, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

It should have a code logged. It could just be a communications issue on the CAN bus though that would clear itself when you turned the car off/on. If it becomes a re-occurring issue, then there is an underling fault condition that would need to be addressed.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I only got this
Old 11-03-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I only got this with hard acceleration from a stop with auto stop activated
Old 12-15-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Had this happen today... hard acceleration from a light... in S mode... started to accelerate then an immediate loss of power and the engine was really rough... pulled off the main road and engine smoothed out... Stop/Start disabled itself and got a warning on that too ( I had put the transmission back to normal D mode) OBDEleven indicates misfire with cylinder 1 and also something about direct injection malfunction with cylinder 1... Once I restarted the engine, the error light cleared... wondering if I need to take it in of just watch it and mention when it goes in for service... anyone else have the rough engine after the light came on?
Old 12-15-2018, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mattwhit
Had this happen today... hard acceleration from a light... in S mode... started to accelerate then an immediate loss of power and the engine was really rough... pulled off the main road and engine smoothed out... Stop/Start disabled itself and got a warning on that too ( I had put the transmission back to normal D mode) OBDEleven indicates misfire with cylinder 1 and also something about direct injection malfunction with cylinder 1... Once I restarted the engine, the error light cleared... wondering if I need to take it in of just watch it and mention when it goes in for service... anyone else have the rough engine after the light came on?
Manually disable auto start/stop while n dynamic or s mode and it shouldnt trigger
Old 12-15-2018, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the reply... Start/Stop automatically disables when in S mode... I usually leave my Drive Select in Auto... are you saying while in S mode press the disable Stop/Start switch and it might prevent the misfire?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
1stq7 (10-03-2020)
Old 12-15-2018, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mattwhit
Thanks for the reply... Start/Stop automatically disables when in S mode... I usually leave my Drive Select in Auto... are you saying while in S mode press the disable Stop/Start switch and it might prevent the misfire?

Thanks!
So I had this happen to me several times im my 17 at stoplights and the track. All under hard acceleration .At the track I was in dynamic and I kept on getting that failure on hard acceleration from a stop. I eventually tried turning off auto start/stop manually even though dynamic said it was off and it didn't do it anymore. Haven't happen to me since I always turn it off when I decide to hard accelerate from a stop. I'll say give it a try and see if it works for you. If the issue persist take it to the dealership.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:37 PM
mbr
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this happen yesterday. I was starting a u-turn from stop and accelerated hard due to oncoming traffic. The warning came on halfway through the u-turn and the Q7 felt sluggish. I pulled over, turned off the car, got out of the car, locked doors, unlocked doors restarted it and all is fine. Traded the Q7 today for a new Cayenne (was already planned before this issue). We had too many problems with this Q7. I am done with Audi again at least for now (last break from Audi was 13 years after a problematic 1999 A6 Avant).

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?