Old 06-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the air suspension and still have this issue

Am taking it in tomorrow
Old 06-12-2017, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on whether AoA is covering this as a warranty repair?

We'll be taking our leased Q7 in for the 10K servicing this week. Today I brought it to a local tire shop I've been using for years with our old cars, and when I mentioned Q7, the SA rolled his eyes. When he looked at the front tires his reaction/question was "You have less than 10K miles on these tires?"

He also hinted that Audi may be doing some kind of suspension modification/repair to correct this problem.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedstand
Any updates on whether AoA is covering this as a warranty repair?

We'll be taking our leased Q7 in for the 10K servicing this week. Today I brought it to a local tire shop I've been using for years with our old cars, and when I mentioned Q7, the SA rolled his eyes. When he looked at the front tires his reaction/question was "You have less than 10K miles on these tires?"

He also hinted that Audi may be doing some kind of suspension modification/repair to correct this problem.
Why would a local tire shop have any sort of insight as to what Audi may or may or not be doing? Other than a couple of posters here with tirewear issues, I see no evidence that this is a widespread issue. The last gen Q7 tended to eat tires, so I suspect tire guy has painted the 4M with the same brush. Good luck getting your issue sorted out.

Last edited by NABS4; 06-12-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine were not covered by Audi or Conti. 9400 miles and new tires all around. I believe if had I rotated at 4k then again at 8k, I would have doubled the life. I should have known better coming from the prior gen Q7. I am not all that upset though as really wanted an all season tire anyway so I could take my kids up to the local so cal mountains for sledding and not worry being on summer rubber. I am very happy so far w The Conti DWS 295/40/21s.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted [pictures of mine when I rotated them at 5k in another thread and I had very little tire feathering. I see no issues with the amount of wear I've experienced to date.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Mine were not covered by Audi or Conti. 9400 miles and new tires all around.
That's discouraging. Our Q7 came with Goodyear All-Season Run flats. 285 45/R20.

Our prior ride was a 2005 BMW X5, a very comparable auto IMO with almost the same curb weight per specs. Had all kinds of problems with the X5 once it got past 50-60K miles, but tire wear like this was not a problem. I've owned a number of cars in my life and have not seen tires wear like this except when alignment got out of whack.

I should be able to report back in a few days with Audi dealer reply on the 10K service.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if the positive camber is the result of US vehicles ride height being higher. I have air suspension in mine and I have it on dynamic height 95% of the time and have zero feathering at 3500 miles.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TxQ
I have the same problem as well. When I bought my cpo 2017 Q7 with the 20in wheels I noticed the rear wheels were super cut up on the outer edges so they replaced those 2 tires as part of the deal. The fronts looked fine. Driven the car 7k miles and now the fronts now have the same problems! Outer edges look chewed up and missing parts of the tire rubber. When I was shopping for my Q7 I went to another dealer w a used Q7 and it had the same problems with all 4 tires. All vehicles have the Goodyear tires. So wtf is happening to the these tires. I checked the air pressure and they were at 32psi.. Manual says 32psi. Took a pic of the tires but can't get it to post on here.
UK spec cars state tyre pressure of 38psi for 20" wheels, 32psi seems very low for this class of car and will inevitably make the tyres wear on their outer edges. Double check with Audi for correct pressures, of course you could try the higher pressure and see how you go! My tyres are wearing evenly, car has air suspension, but not rear wheel steering.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cracker Dave
UK spec cars state tyre pressure of 38psi for 20" wheels, 32psi seems very low for this class of car and will inevitably make the tyres wear on their outer edges. Double check with Audi for correct pressures, of course you could try the higher pressure and see how you go! My tyres are wearing evenly, car has air suspension, but not rear wheel steering.
In the USA, recommend pressure is right in the car...I will up my rear tires to 35 but fronts indeed say 32....

Old 06-16-2017, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
In the USA, recommend pressure is right in the car...I will up my rear tires to 35 but fronts indeed say 32....

Those tire pressures are for a fully loaded (7 passengers) car. If you are just one or two in the car, the normal load tire pressures are recommended. Check the tires section in your vehicle's owners manual for the correct figures.

Quick Reply: Front Tires feathering