Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Guys with ACC and guys without?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by MatterFact
I might be in the minority among those who have the ACC. I tried all the features when I first got the Q7 and found that I don't care for any of the electronic driving assist features. The automatic follow feature(I can't remember what Audi calls this) leaves way too much gap in front. In the couple of times that I tried it, people were cutting in front of me left and right. I can't imagine using it in the L.A. traffic. I turned off just about all the electronic driving features that I could. The only thing I left on that I can think of is the heads up display. I find that I enjoy driving the Q7 and I wouldn't want it to drive me.
On my MK1 I can adjust the distance it keeps from the vehicle infront of me, and the slower you go the closer it gets.. if you reduce it from the default distance it does alot better if you have aggressive drivers who'll take a yard if you give em an inch.. there is a switch on the cruise control stock you can press to +/- the distance.. IIRC the default the distance is @ 3 out of 4, if not its 4 out of 5..
Old 10-14-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
On my MK1 I can adjust the distance it keeps from the vehicle infront of me, and the slower you go the closer it gets.. if you reduce it from the default distance it does alot better if you have aggressive drivers who'll take a yard if you give em an inch.. there is a switch on the cruise control stock you can press to +/- the distance.. IIRC the default the distance is @ 3 out of 4, if not its 4 out of 5..
with OBDEleven you can enable a menu in the MMI that allows you to set the default following distance. It will always start there when you activate ACC & if desired you can adjust it with the toggle on the stalk as before.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
with OBDEleven you can enable a menu in the MMI that allows you to set the default following distance. It will always start there when you activate ACC & if desired you can adjust it with the toggle on the stalk as before.
Which is much better than setting it each time. But I wish the closest setting was closer, it's still far enough back the people tend to cut in front.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are better with out acc. Unless you drive long distances and you wanna use your cruise control a lot,having acc is one more problem in the car, if you ever do anything in the car like taking off the bumper or something you would need to recalibrate the system and that’s not cheap at all lol
Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I am also trying to justify not getting ACC (I believe you are referring to Driver Assistance Package) because it's not available on some of the cars on the lot, and the ones that have it, may be missing other packages I would like to have. Not getting DAP would give me a lot more choices in terms of color combination and other options. There is another thread on this few titles below, and those who have it seem to love it and that "it's the future". I guess it depends on if you will be able to utilize it or not. I don't go on a long road trips too often, but having it on my vehicle might mean it will make long trips more enjoyable, I might just drive more.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

as long as your using the same sensors, no calibration is needed assuming you put everything back together correctly and everything was the same as before you took it apart.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ACC/DAP is used every day on most roads for me. We won't buy another vehicle without it.

Last edited by Bozman5000; 10-14-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
I have ACC/DAP and would not buy another car without out it. Use it every day. My wife, who never in her life would use cruise control, now uses it now that she has the adaptive feature.
Thanks for your candor.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on the person. My wife has never turned on ACC once. She doesn't know how to, and is not interested in learning how to. A friend just got a Q7 Prestige. She said she has never tried AAC. I spoke to her husband, and he was raving about it and the DAP.

I will never buy another car without it, and it is one of the things that makes me enjoy the car a lot more. I use it every day, even when not in traffic. It cannot be compared to a basic cruise control, which is basically not usable as far as I am concerned. In fact, I probably average about once a year using regular cruise control on my older cars.

I just bought a second Audi and also got ACC. I consider it a critical safety feature as it maintain a safe distance behind any car. Our policy is to always buy every safety feature.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MatterFact
The automatic follow feature(I can't remember what Audi calls this) leaves way too much gap in front. In the couple of times that I tried it, people were cutting in front of me left and right. I can't imagine using it in the L.A. traffic. I turned off just about all the electronic driving features that I could. The only thing I left on that I can think of is the heads up display. I find that I enjoy driving the Q7 and I wouldn't want it to drive me.
I set the self-steering on "early" as I love feeling it center itself in the lane and feeling the wheel sometimes move in my hands. It feels like the future. But it is true with the gap. It is more gap than is customary in my area, unless you are trying to let people in, and so people cut in. And when they cut in, it is not clear that the car can "see" them cutting in, so I sometimes have to tap the brakes, which disengages ACC. So it is annoying when someone cuts in. Then you just pull back on the stalk and it re-engages.

Also once someone thought I was letting them in due to the gap, but then the car ahead of me starting moving again, and so my car moved forward and cut off this new car's entry in front of me. He gave me some shrug gesture like "Thanks a lot." It surprised me, as in my mind, the car was driving, not me.

The main unnatural behavior is when someone is in front of you, and turns off to a side road. As a human, I see their signal, and I see them starting to turn, so I don't brake hard--I just keep on going and drive past them, maybe arcing around them a bit. But the car with ACC won't just drive around them. It stops and waits behind them, which is just not normal. And worse, if there is a another car that wants to come in front of you from a side street, they see you stopped, and see it as an invitation to get in front of you, which I often didn't intend to do.

So those are the minor weird things. I like it overall.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

show me a safety system on these cars that doesn't pay for itself the first time its used and there's your answer. its not like choosing leather or some other nebulous 'feature'.

Quick Reply: Guys with ACC and guys without?