Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Guys with ACC and guys without?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by quattro0323
Hayde_bre seems we are in the same boat. I can add this feature but think the extra $2400 can be used for something else. I’m not too much a distance driver.
I always thought these things were more useful on long trips, but based on what we've seen in this thread, it might be worth considering if it really works that well on stop/go or slow moving traffic (which we get A LOT in NYC, and I am sure you also have to go through in NJ).
Leaving too much gap might be an issue, but I think that will happen if you are on left lane. Maybe use center or right lane and just let the vehicle do its thing? I am not sure, but some of these guys may have convinced me to get it.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
I set the self-steering on "early" as I love feeling it center itself in the lane and feeling the wheel sometimes move in my hands. It feels like the future.
When I first got the car, I used the lane keep assist for a while. I really wanted to use it as I thought it was a safety feature. However, after the initial novelty wore off, I realized it wasn't very good at what it does. If the curve is slight sharper than a very gentle curve or the lane marker is not very well defined, the car can't stay inside the lane. Also I didn't like the sensation that the car is constantly fighting me from doing what I want to do. Finally I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and turned it off. I have been enjoying driving it ever since.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I always thought these things were more useful on long trips, but based on what we've seen in this thread, it might be worth considering if it really works that well on stop/go or slow moving traffic (which we get A LOT in NYC, and I am sure you also have to go through in NJ).
Leaving too much gap might be an issue, but I think that will happen if you are on left lane. Maybe use center or right lane and just let the vehicle do its thing? I am not sure, but some of these guys may have convinced me to get it.
Indeed it’s starting to sound real beneficial to have the DAP. Jersey traffic can be a nightmare when it’s ready but most times flow smoothly. Time to call the dealer if it’s not too late to include. Appreciate all the comments.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

With all the varying opinions here, the only way you're really gonna know is to find a dealer that will let you take a long enough test drive in an ACC equipped car to see what you think. (It doesn't need to be a Q7, but make sure it's one with the latest generation ACC that will full stop and resume.)
Old 10-15-2017, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MatterFact
When I first got the car, I used the lane keep assist for a while. I really wanted to use it as I thought it was a safety feature. However, after the initial novelty wore off, I realized it wasn't very good at what it does. If the curve is slight sharper than a very gentle curve or the lane marker is not very well defined, the car can't stay inside the lane. Also I didn't like the sensation that the car is constantly fighting me from doing what I want to do. Finally I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and turned it off. I have been enjoying driving it ever since.
If my order is too late to add the DAP then I will be okay not having it. No regrets having or not.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
With all the varying opinions here, the only way you're really gonna know is to find a dealer that will let you take a long enough test drive in an ACC equipped car to see what you think. (It doesn't need to be a Q7, but make sure it's one with the latest generation ACC that will full stop and resume.)
Great advice, I’ll ask my dealer for a 24 test drive with the ACC.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

One more thought on ACC and other drivers cutting in front... in the Drive Select settings, you can adjust how aggressive the ACC is at accelerating. If you set it to more aggressive, there is less lag on keeping up with the car in front, so a little less likelihood of someone cutting in.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your candor.
The driver assistance features, especially ACC, is the future of driving... It's akin to how standard cruise control, remote lock/unlock, And power windows were in the 80s and 90s. In another 10 years they'll all be standard (probably better versions- semi/complete self driving). Sure you can live without them, but they make highway driving so much more pleasant (and safer for the most part).

If you never drive on the highway and most of your car trips are<15 mins, then the price may not be worth it at this point though.... Also if you have a hard time learning new tech and don't see yourself adapting then it may not be for you. But when you go to sell your car in 5-10 years, it'll be easier to sell if they have these features since they'll be standard.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fun4stuff
The driver assistance features, especially ACC, is the future of driving... It's akin to how standard cruise control, remote lock/unlock, And power windows were in the 80s and 90s. In another 10 years they'll all be standard (probably better versions- semi/complete self driving). Sure you can live without them, but they make highway driving so much more pleasant (and safer for the most part).

If you never drive on the highway and most of your car trips are<15 mins, then the price may not be worth it at this point though.... Also if you have a hard time learning new tech and don't see yourself adapting then it may not be for you. But when you go to sell your car in 5-10 years, it'll be easier to sell if they have these features since they'll be standard.
Good advice to consider. The future of automobile has changed over the years and this is a typical example of modern technology at work. I agree in a few years from now the DAP/ ACC will be standard features and if you’re not tech savvy you’ll have to get with the program. I like a challenge when it comes to technology and especially with safety benefits.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Hello all, I wanted to ask the folks with ACC if they are happy with it, problems plus if it was worth the extra $2400. versus the guys that didn't get it if they regret not having this option?
Thanks.
I have the driver assistance package on my 2018 S4 (prestige); my wife does NOT have the driver assistance package on her 2018 SQ5 (prestige). Now that I have it, I use it "all the time." I thought perhaps I would use the ACC function (there are other functions, not just ACC in the DAP) about as much as I used my "regular" cruise control. Nope, I use it the moment I pull out of my driveway in my subdivision. It "sees" (via the traffic sign recognition) the "speed limit 25" sign and sets the cruise to 25. When I reach the end of my subdivision, I turn onto the secondary road and the cruise sets itself to 45MPH. Truth be told, I set my ACC with a +10MPH "tolerance," which means I can "goose" the speed limit (I typically goose it to 50) and wait until I reach the Interstate (about 3 miles later). As I am approaching the entrance ramp, the car slows (all by itself) for the curve leading to the ramp, then as I reach the end of the ramp to merge, the cruise jumps to 65 and I goose it +5 and for the next 17 miles I cruise along with the ACC keeping me out of trouble.

On the way home, reverse the process and press the "lane keeping" button on the end of the turn signal stalk and Traffic Jam Assist kicks in and I can sit in my barely moving car for the first 5-8 miles with the car essentially driving itself and REALLY keeping me out of trouble with the impatient folks to my left, right and in front of me. Since this is Level 2 automation, it is a requirement to touch the steering wheel every so often to prevent the system from disengaging. When traffic clears, and the speed exceeds 39MPH, the traffic jam assist disengages and the lane keeping takes over and so on and so forth.

When I first get in the car -- every time I get in the car -- I push the turn signal stalk away from me which engages fully automatic headlights. Then when it does get dark the headlights come on and the most responsive high/low beam assistant I've ever seen helps me use the LED headlights to maximum effect.

The addition of the FULL stop capability to Audi Pre-sense and "automatic go" are also very nice to have. The car is an extra set of eyes (all around the damn thing) that prevents me (for the most part) from having a "stupid attack" when the daily traffic jam dance starts.

On an S4 the option is $1,800 -- seems like a bargain. The price is the same on the SQ5, but my wife says "she can't imagine giving over steering and braking to a computer." Of course when backing out of a restricted view parking spot and the car gives a JOLT! thus protecting her (us) from being hit in the butt due to our inability to see the car that just missed us (thank you Audi), she somehow seems quite pleased that the Audi nanny saved her (and the car's) butt.

The list of things the base technology + the added DAP technology provides is welcome. It's damn near a miracle it is so good. When I get the next Audi product, it too will have whatever is available at the time -- certainly level 3 automation and perhaps level 4.

Sign me up.

By the way, lest you think I have an S4 and putt, putt around like an old fart in an "S" Audi, not so. There are many times -- far too few, unfortunately, when I disengage the ACC and other nannies, select "dynamic" in the ADS menu, M in the tiptronic and drive using the paddle shifters on the few remaining mostly isolated Ohio back roads, driving to near redline and blipping the paddle shifter listening to the "fart sound" from the tailpipes while listening to the very nice B&O premium sound system blast out some great tuneage.

DAP -- don't leave home without it.

One man's opinion.

Quick Reply: Guys with ACC and guys without?