Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

How to close trunk with key fob

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to close trunk with key fob

Sometimes my young son will get a hold of my keys and will open the trunk while we are in the house. I’ve tried to use the key to close the trunk while inside but I’ve never got it to work. Once I was able to get it
to close using the key fob but I had to be right next to the car, and a few other times I was not able to get it to close with the key no matter how close to the car I was.

What is is the correct way to close the trunk using the key fob?
Old 07-02-2018, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

You have to be standing behind the car.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
You have to be standing behind the car.
Thanks I was wondering that myself!
Old 07-02-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

You have to be standing next to the rear of the vehicle. On mine it works better off to the side of the passenger side, less so from the driver's side. Idiotic thing here is that if you are already next to the hatch anyway, why not press the button on the lid? The dubious "functionality" has been explained as a security feature. I have no idea what schmuck in VW came up with this stupid idea, but I haven't encountered this at any other german or otherwise car makers. The whole point of remote is to be able to open AND CLOSE the hatch from a DISTANCE !!! If you search the forum, you will also discover that the keyfob is so touchy that a lot of owners had issue with hatch opening seemingly randomly. I had it open and stay open over night twice. The only way to correct that without disassembling the keyfob, is to code a longer delay (4000 ms) into the system. However, no one has discovered a way to extend the distance of the close "functionality". In a way it's sad. It's such a marvel of engineering and a great vehicle. Unfortunately, human nature has a tendency to focus on the small quirks that annoy us. I have owned vehicles in the past where you had to walk up to the trunk and use the key to open it (oh horror), so I just accepted the fact that Audi decided to tip the hat to the old honored tradition of using your hands to open and close the hatch. Now I can go back to enjoying the beautiful vehicle again!!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's more of a safety concern than it is a security. They want to make sure you know there are no obstructions (like people) in the way before closing it. It makes complete sense to me.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

This reminds me that I have yet to try the foot-wave under the rear bumper to open the rear hatch since the first week of owning the car.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:01 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
You have to be standing next to the rear of the vehicle. On mine it works better off to the side of the passenger side, less so from the driver's side. Idiotic thing here is that if you are already next to the hatch anyway, why not press the button on the lid? The dubious "functionality" has been explained as a security feature. I have no idea what schmuck in VW came up with this stupid idea, but I haven't encountered this at any other german or otherwise car makers. The whole point of remote is to be able to open AND CLOSE the hatch from a DISTANCE !!! If you search the forum, you will also discover that the keyfob is so touchy that a lot of owners had issue with hatch opening seemingly randomly. I had it open and stay open over night twice. The only way to correct that without disassembling the keyfob, is to code a longer delay (4000 ms) into the system. However, no one has discovered a way to extend the distance of the close "functionality". In a way it's sad. It's such a marvel of engineering and a great vehicle. Unfortunately, human nature has a tendency to focus on the small quirks that annoy us. I have owned vehicles in the past where you had to walk up to the trunk and use the key to open it (oh horror), so I just accepted the fact that Audi decided to tip the hat to the old honored tradition of using your hands to open and close the hatch. Now I can go back to enjoying the beautiful vehicle again!!
^Exactly, this drives my wife nuts.. Everytime she tries to use the FOB she says "If I have to stand behind it to use the remote I might as well push the button on the hatch", and she's right.

Every other SUV I've owned over the past 10 years allowed you to open and close from a distance and we never had any safety or security issues.. IMO it really is ridiculous the way it is currently programmed.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is ridiculous how easy it is to accidentally open the rear hatch with the fob but so difficult to close with the fob.
The following 2 users liked this post by quattro0323:
keg97 (09-12-2023), Rdpjr26 (10-09-2023)
Old 07-04-2018, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 722 Likes on 501 Posts

Your dealer can increase the button press time to open the boot. Or you can do it yourself with VCDS. That helps.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was done for convenience. imagine walking with couple of bags. u can have the trunk open before u arrive. close the trunk when ur behind it

Quick Reply: How to close trunk with key fob