Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

I thought we'd be buying a Q7, but just ordered a Tesla Model S instead

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I thought we'd be buying a Q7, but just ordered a Tesla Model S instead

A key reason is from another thread collision avoidance / automatic braking features...

If cruise control is not on, auto-braking is disabled above 52 mph, even if safety features are optioned up to the max.

Originally Posted by syswei
Thanks for the info, folks. It is disappointing to me that Audi for the US market would castrate already-developed technologies that are enabled elsewhere. Maybe something to do with fear of litigation if they claim high-speed functionality but then it doesn't work perfectly?

Anyway I thought the Q7 would be a slam-dunk purchase decision, but now an X5 is possible, and my wife now wants to test drive a Tesla S.
I hope this gets to Audi management somehow. If Audi smartens up on this issue, I'll be able to consider an A8 to someday replace my S550.

Last edited by syswei; 04-28-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's like apples and oranges. You're obviously not in need for an SUV the size of the Q7.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moncsicsi
That's like apples and oranges. You're obviously not in need for an SUV the size of the Q7.
+1
Old 04-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure don't want some computer hitting the brakes everytime I get close to something and no way to disable it. I much prefer to be in control of the car. I sure hope this doesn't get to Audi management. Please just go buy a Tesla and let the Audi drivers continue to enjoy driving their cars
Old 04-28-2016, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by moncsicsi
Of course it is apples and oranges. I found the Q7 to be better in many respects, including cargo capacity (which is closer than you might realize, 71.6 cu ft vs 63.4 cu ft), overall fit and finish, likely reliability, interior quality and design, lower price. But the Model S has some advantages too, and Audi's castration (in the U.S.) of its already-developed auto braking functionality was enough to tip the balance for us.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wisconsinguy
I sure don't want some computer hitting the brakes everytime I get close to something
Maybe you could use extended test drives in cars that have proper auto-braking. What you are describing does not happen, for instance in the Volvo and the MB I own.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Good luck with your Tesla... you may need it! Good friend has had lots of serious issues and glitches with his Model X and regrets buying it.

One scary fact about Tesla jumping head-first with their implementation of full autonomous driving (auto pilot)... the system doesn't recognize traffic lights yet! WTF. To the unsuspecting new Tesla owner who doesn't read the manual thoroughly and defaults to just trusting the system, this is a serious accident waiting to happen. I really hope nobody gets killed by a 6000-lb Model X blowing a red light one of these days because their lazy owner decided to trust the autopilot completely.

Personally, I think Audi is wise in being very cautious about pushing autonomous driving technology in our very litigious society.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A key reason is from another thread collision avoidance / automatic braking features...

If cruise control is not on, auto-braking is disabled above 52 mph, even if safety features are optioned up to the max.

I hope this gets to Audi management somehow. If Audi smartens up on this issue, I'll be able to consider an A8 to someday replace my S550.
Excellent choices!!! I have a P85D L and Q7 etron on order .
Old 04-28-2016, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What a ridiculous comparison. Good luck driving your Tesla on long drives.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Both great cars. I can't really see how you would be cross shopping them given the types of vehicles that they are. However, if this is your primary concern, it makes sense to get the vehicle that addresses that concern.

Quick Reply: I thought we'd be buying a Q7, but just ordered a Tesla Model S instead