Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Is the ignition is OFF

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Is the ignition is OFF

OK, maybe stupid question, but is there a reliable way to tell if the ignition is "OFF" on a 2019 Q7? This really applies only when the engine start/stop is stopped. On several occasions, I have stopped, put the car in park, with the engine in the "stopped" mode, then opened the driver door to get my mail, for example. When I get back in the car, I have to press the START/IGNITION Button to go because it turned itself off, but this only seems to occur sometimes. If I have the radio ON, the radio will turn off when I open the door with the ignition off. If its not off, the radio continues to go. But I guess my question is, lets say I pull in my garage, the engine START/STOP is active and the engine stops, I put the car in park, but FORGET to press the Engine START/STOP button. I get out, and lock the doors. Will the car turn itself off, or is there the possibly that the engine could turn back on? I know it sounds crazy forgetting to turn it off, but with no engine running, its easy to do.

We have a good friend who almost died under the same conditions. She had a Prius, parked it in the garage, but forgot to turn it "off." Being electric nothing was running, but when the battery ran down the engine started to recharge it, which caused a buildup of carbon monoxide in her house.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:29 AM
mbs
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

On my 2019 Q7, if I open the door without pushing the off button, there is a warning message between the odometer and speedometer, “CAUTION Drive system is active”
Old 10-23-2019, 03:54 AM
SVJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I often wonder the same thing, but noticed that usually my digital dash is completely off when the car turns itself off. 🤷🏼*♂️
Old 10-23-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,177 Likes on 919 Posts

If you lock the car from the door handle or the fob the screen will retract and the car will completely shut off.
I have not left the car for long enough unlocked to see if there is a timeout period where it "shuts off" with no intervention.
If the car is still running after I put in park, take seat belt off, and open door I will push the off button and kill the ignition. But that is very rare...
Old 10-23-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
If you lock the car from the door handle or the fob the screen will retract and the car will completely shut off.
I have not left the car for long enough unlocked to see if there is a timeout period where it "shuts off" with no intervention.
If the car is still running after I put in park, take seat belt off, and open door I will push the off button and kill the ignition. But that is very rare...
Thanks. That is good to know.

I hate to admit it but many years ago, with a different car without START/STOP I went to this car show, and parked my car. It was a distance away and you had to take a bus. I locked the car but forgot to turn it off. It locked fine, but I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting the confirmation beep, but I rushed to the bus. Anyway about 8 hours later I returned and the car was still running. It used maybe 1/3 a tank of fuel. I have heard since that some manufacturers were adding timers, but obviously, this Infinity didn't have one. Luckily I was outside so no harm done.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,177 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by ang934
Thanks. That is good to know.

I hate to admit it but many years ago, with a different car without START/STOP I went to this car show, and parked my car. It was a distance away and you had to take a bus. I locked the car but forgot to turn it off. It locked fine, but I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting the confirmation beep, but I rushed to the bus. Anyway about 8 hours later I returned and the car was still running. It used maybe 1/3 a tank of fuel. I have heard since that some manufacturers were adding timers, but obviously, this Infinity didn't have one. Luckily I was outside so no harm done.
Most keyless entry/start cars now beep furiously (exterior) at you if you leave the car running and step away with the keys... but I believe Audi only does this on the interior and with the dash... asking is "key still in the vehicle" or something along those lines...
Old 10-23-2019, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

In the DIC on the tach side, the [digital] needle will drop to “Ready” when you stop and START/STOP activates. When activated and you put in park and take off your seatbelt the [digital] needle drops one more notch (all the way to the bottom) where it says OFF. Your car is then off because it thinks you’re exiting/done driving.

This is exactly how it works. Baffles me that people don’t just LOOK. Look at your tachometer to see if you’re car is still on. It isn’t hard to figure out. Besides that, it’s easy to tell if it’s idling. Especially since this is a V6 and not an I6.