Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Message "Remote Control Key. Hold back of key against designated area"

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Message "Remote Control Key. Hold back of key against designated area"

Wanted to see if anyone else has seen this issue. The message "Remote Control Key. Hold back of key against designated area. See owners manual" came up with my wife's keyfob in the car. Placing it in the center console area, as instructed, didn't clear the message and the vehicle still wouldn't start. I went inside the house and got my own keyfob, and it worked. So about a half an hour later we tried it again with my wife's keyfob, and it now works. So bottom line, if I wasn't around with my own keyfob the first time, she would've been stranded.

I called the dealer, and all they said is it might be the battery in the keyfob and they will replace it for us. Problem with that is, her keyfob now works fine. So this is some kind of intermittent thing and we're not sure if we can expect this to happen again. Has anyone else come across this issue?
The following users liked this post:
audi-go-deee-dooo (07-09-2021)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

All keyless vehicles have this provision in the event of interference of dead battery. In the BMW you hold the fob against the steering column, and there is a spot marked for it on the steering column. I'd go get the battery replaced to see if that really was the problem. Then if it happens again you know its another issue like a bad fob or receiver.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info. Yes, I will be doing that anyway, but just seemed a little odd that it would now be working OK if it was a battery issue.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Herrod
Thanks for the info. Yes, I will be doing that anyway, but just seemed a little odd that it would now be working OK if it was a battery issue.
Agreed, does seem odd, but it will eliminate the battery if it occurs again
Old 03-02-2017, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since it didn't clear when holding to key to console and it's working now I'd say it's not the battery. Probably an anomaly. I had all my backup cameras turn black and flicker for about a day months ago and not a problem since.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree that it was probably a one-time glitch. But could be a weak but not dead battery too.

Just to confirm, when you put key in "designated area", it was the area in the pic below, not the slot between the cup holders?

Old 03-03-2017, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
I agree that it was probably a one-time glitch. But could be a weak but not dead battery too.

Just to confirm, when you put key in "designated area", it was the area in the pic below, not the slot between the cup holders?

Yes, exactly. The only thing that I may have done differently is how I positioned the key. I may not have placed it with the top of the key facing the rear of the car, as shown in the illustration.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like a weak keyfob battery. They last about 2 years or so and are inexpensive. Probably a CR2 battery. I always have a couple in my armrest just in case.

EDIT: CR2032 battery

Last edited by snagitseven; 03-03-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

CR2032

Easy to find battery and easy to replace, unless you live really close to your dealership.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Such a coincidence, the exact same issue happened to me today!
I closed the trunk, got into my car, then an error message said the car thought I left key in the trunk. The key was in my jeans pocket the whole time.

I followed the instructions of placing key in designated area and tried to start the car several times to no avail.

I walked out, open and closed the trunk again.
Repeated the process, and the car finally started. I almost thought I had to call Audi roadside ?Wait is even such a thing? =)

Anyways, all is well now.
I got the Q7 is in Sept 2016. I'd be surprised if the battery is low already....
hm...

Quick Reply: Message "Remote Control Key. Hold back of key against designated area"