Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Miles remaining when car hits 0 miles left...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I should add that you're should track your own vehicle/driving style/conditions for several tanks to get the delta if you plan to re calibrate it. Mine was 9% (on average it does vary from tank to tank) and I've done 3-4 fill ups since I changed it and its always with in 0.1 mpg now.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I'm not sure if thats the case on modern cars, but the fuel sediment was the issue I was explained. Who knows, it kinda stuck with me. But its not like I'm looking to run my cars dry for the fun of it anyway. I have 3 cars that take premium, and there are 3 gas stations in the area that charge a "fair" price, while most others charge anywhere from 20-50 cents more per gallon. So anytime I'm near any of the "fair" stations, I'll fill up the tank(s)
Originally Posted by JT4
Same here... In the early to mid eighties I worked part time in a gas station while going to school pumping gas and doing minor things around the shop. Several times cars came in having to have their fuel filters replaced, lines cleaned or replaced and on a few occasions the fuel tanks would have to be dropped and sent out to be cleaned.

And to this day I remember the owner / mechanic telling me "this is why you don't let your gas level go below 1/4 of a tank, you don't want the crap on the bottom of the tank clogging the fuel system"..

His words have stuck with me to this day, and I make sure my wife and our three sons follow this advice too when driving their cars or using one of ours.
Actually it's both. The reason I didn't mention sediment, because that's usually a problem on older vehicles where the sediment had a chance to accumulate over time. Generally for new cars you would worry mostly about the bits and pieces inside the pump and that's cooled and lubricated by the fuel. Good read (you don't necessarily need to watch the video although it shows how all the pieces are put together): https://jalopnik.com/why-you-shouldn...gas-1796273605