Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Neat HVAC trick

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Neat HVAC trick

On my 2018 Q7 Prestige with the 4 zone climate control I just found a new way to switch where the air ventilates from. I normally have the system set to Auto and Sync. With the colder temps here lately the air blows from the dash vents even if the temp is set to >78 when in full Auto. While I most times run on the full Auto/sync setting, some passengers don't like that air comes out in their face - even after depressing the red dash button in front of them to shut off the large vent in front of them. They or I always then touched the appropriate HVAC switch to re-direct the heat/air to the floor (or other positions). So rather than do this - and have to cycle between all the airflow positions each time - I now found this if the Q7 is shut off in any other dash venting position:
If the venting was set to floor (or other than Auto) and shutting off the car, when I come back later I start the Q7 and hit the HVAC button to turn on the system and quickly hit the button a second time. The system now goes out of full Auto/sync and is set the airflow position I previously set it to (floor in my case) The system now remembers and vents in the position i changed it to previously - ie, floor. The quick 2 button press saves me from having to cycle the vent positions all the time. Hope I was clear enough it works for you. I'm sure it was in the manual somewhere too but I never really checked.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a great feature... here's another one that you'll love... On those cold winter days, you can keep the cabin warm without running the engine... (Assuming the engine is warm and there's ample residual heat...) Once you shut the vehicle off, press the left climate ****... the residual heat system will activate and stay on for 15 minutes... This is great when you need to run into a store for a few minutes... you'll come out and the car will be toasty warm! I usually set the heat to HI so you'll get the maximum benefit... The climate control will return to the previous settings when you start the car... When activated, you'll hear a pump turn on in the engine bay... The system circulates the residual coolant heat (I think it's the same pump used when start/stop activates and there's demand for heat (not positive about this)... enjoy!

Last edited by mattwhit; 11-19-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a useful feature, except that uhhhh .... there is no "HVAC" button. Did you mean "OFF"?
Old 11-19-2018, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think he meant the driver climate control ****... with the ignition on, each press will toggle between full auto and last manual setting... Actually, each zone will toggle... I have the 4 zone and I've noticed that if you press the control ****, it will toggle to that last individual setting...
Old 11-20-2018, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mattwhit
That is a great feature... here's another one that you'll love... On those cold winter days, you can keep the cabin warm without running the engine... (Assuming the engine is warm and there's ample residual heat...) Once you shut the vehicle off, press the left climate ****... the residual heat system will activate and stay on for 15 minutes... This is great when you need to run into a store for a few minutes... you'll come out and the car will be toasty warm! I usually set the heat to HI so you'll get the maximum benefit... The climate control will return to the previous settings when you start the car... When activated, you'll hear a pump turn on in the engine bay... The system circulates the residual coolant heat (I think it's the same pump used when start/stop activates and there's demand for heat (not positive about this)... enjoy!
Yes, that is a great feature in the summer also as it will continue to blow cold air for a while, and then at least continue to circulate the air thereafter for those 15 minutes. Put it on recirculate and it helps even more since it is recirculating in the interior air rather than drawing in the super cold or hot outside air during that time.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's another:

If you want enhanced seat cooling put the AC to face and floor, then further adjust accordingly via the MMI. The cold air via the foot vents will be picked up under the seats by the ventilation fans.