Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

New guy (corrected - Audi Q7 reliability and maintenance costs

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy (corrected - Audi Q7 reliability and maintenance costs

Let's try this again... This is my second post here because my first post was idiotic. I kept saying Q6 instead of Q7.

I have had a 2003 Honda Pilot, that I bought new, for the last 13 years. It now has 185,000 and is starting to show its age.

I am 55 and think it is time to start enjoying some of my hard saved money. I am not wealthy, just comfortable, so $72,000 is quite a stretch for me. I am considering the Audi Q7 Prestige. I love all the tech it has.

My concern, at the moment, is that the vehicle will not be reliable. And that it will be expensive to repair.

I have been spoiled by the reliability of my Pilot and will not be happy dealing with a steady stream of problems on such an expensive vehicle.

Also, I am concerned about the cost of these repairs making my already stretched budget unmanageable.

I can only really swallow the up front cost if I can spread it out over many years like I did with my Pilot.

Can those with experience confirm or deny my concerns.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

These are great thoughts to have before the purchase rather than after.

Were I in the situation I'm sensing you're in, I'd pass and instead buy something else. These are not cheap to repair or even to maintain (oil changes aren't $20 with a coupon).

IMO, a vehicle is never something you should put yourself in potential financial peril for.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mi_sat
These are not cheap to repair or even to maintain (oil changes aren't $20 with a coupon).
I appreciate the reply. I'm leaning a lot by reading this forum, that I just discovered this morning. What could possibly make an change cost $100 plus.

If the answer is the Audi dealership why not just have an independent do it?
Old 10-23-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Florida Guy
I appreciate the reply. I'm leaning a lot by reading this forum, that I just discovered this morning. What could possibly make an change cost $100 plus.

If the answer is the Audi dealership why not just have an independent do it?
There are many people on this forum with greater skills than I possess who change their own oil and maintain their own cars. And there are independents who I suspect would change oil for much less cost, but I'm not a trusting guy when a vehicle is in warranty. (I like clear lines of blame to the dealer/manufacturer.)

So I'm in the camp that gets screwed on repairs and oil changes.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mi_sat
There are many people on this forum with greater skills than I possess who change their own oil and maintain their own cars. And there are independents who I suspect would change oil for much less cost, but I'm not a trusting guy when a vehicle is in warranty. (I like clear lines of blame to the dealer/manufacturer.)

So I'm in the camp that gets screwed on repairs and oil changes.
+1, Amen to that. I am with you!
Old 10-23-2016, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The Q7 is a new model. German cars are always more expensive to maintain. Repairs are costly in dealerships. The maintenance schedule has also changed with 10,000 mile or one year intervals. The first service is no charge. I am in the camp of servicing my cars in the dealership during the warranty period. Some buyers have AudiCare financed into the lease payment to lower the money factor slightly. Otherwise the cost is about 825 dollars to cover the warranty period. After the warranty period, I usually use a very good independent shop or DIY.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased an "all scheduled maintenance" package through 60,000 miles for about $835 from dealer when I bought my Q7. No worries here about escalating prices. I'd get the Premium+ and purchase the extended service contract. Just MHO.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Florida Guy
Let's try this again... This is my second post here because my first post was idiotic. I kept saying Q6 instead of Q7.

I have had a 2003 Honda Pilot, that I bought new, for the last 13 years. It now has 185,000 and is starting to show its age.

I am 55 and think it is time to start enjoying some of my hard saved money. I am not wealthy, just comfortable, so $72,000 is quite a stretch for me. I am considering the Audi Q7 Prestige. I love all the tech it has.

My concern, at the moment, is that the vehicle will not be reliable. And that it will be expensive to repair.

I have been spoiled by the reliability of my Pilot and will not be happy dealing with a steady stream of problems on such an expensive vehicle.

Also, I am concerned about the cost of these repairs making my already stretched budget unmanageable.

I can only really swallow the up front cost if I can spread it out over many years like I did with my Pilot.

Can those with experience confirm or deny my concerns.
I can relate to your exact situation. I just traded my 2010 Honda Pilot for the Q7. I am spoiled by the no costly repair bills on the pilot. As a matter of fact, the car is so reliable that it never went to the dealer for any repairs! I do all my maintenance myself including the oil change, coolant flush, air filter and all the other easy stuffs. I did had to buy goodyear lifetime tire balance and rotation for $30. That was an awesome deal!

So when I got my new Q7, I bought the 5 years scheduled maintenance from Audi knowing that the maintenance cost is a lot more than the pilot. I will do all the maintenance myself once the warranty runs out.

My suggestion to you is to get the 2017 honda pilot elite as it has almost all the same technology as the Q7. I like the restyling of the 2017 and interior layout so that will be a major step up from your current pilot. That's what I would get but I wanted a luxury SUV so I'm willing to "cough" up some ca$h if there are any repairs. I also bought the extended warranty so at least I am at ease knowing that any major repairs "should" be covered. Hopefully there won't be much problems as the Q7 reliability is pretty good compared to other luxury SUV except Lexus.

Check out this web site to compare reliabilities for all brands. Long-Term Quality Index

Oh one more thing, check your insurance premium before you get the Q7. Mine went up $500; "ouch!". The Q7 has all the latest safety features and five stars IIHS but the insurance company don't care about them.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2016, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All good comments and it comes down to your comfort zone.

I had a Mercedes R & then bought a Acura MDX because of things like lower maintenance costs.

Well - I hated the boringness when driving it, the insulation of the car was terrible, it did not handle like a german car, and items worn quickly like the paint and seats. That car was $55,000.

After 18 months and 63,000 miles - I sold it for the Q7 with a trade in of $30,000.

Love the drive of the Q7, love the handling, it's well insulated, and safer in bad weather.

If the Q7 was available in 16 - I would have saved money by not changing vehicles.

If you're closer to retirement age, I assume the mileage will not be racked up. You've deserved a comfy ride and nobody has stated they don't like the way it rolls down the road. I would also say that demand on these guys are very high and AUDI doesn't seem to be work extra shifts to make more.

Get the car and you'll love it.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ty Ty
I can relate to your exact situation. I just traded my 2010 Honda Pilot for the Q7. I am spoiled by the no costly repair bills on the pilot. As a matter of fact, the car is so reliable that it never went to the dealer for any repairs! I do all my maintenance myself including the oil change, coolant flush, air filter and all the other easy stuffs. I did had to buy goodyear lifetime tire balance and rotation for $30. That was an awesome deal!
I'm definitely not up to doing my own maintenance.

Check out this web site to compare reliabilities for all brands. Long-Term Quality Index
Thanks.

My suggestion to you is to get the 2017 honda pilot elite as it has almost all the same technology as the Q7.
Adaptive Cruise? 360 degree camera? Proximity entry? Panoramic moon roof? And is it as good?

Oh one more thing, check your insurance premium before you get the Q7. Mine went up $500; "ouch!".
Not to mention Premium fuel for the life of the car. Another hidden cost.

Quick Reply: New guy (corrected - Audi Q7 reliability and maintenance costs