Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
View Poll Results: Have you experienced sunroof creaking issues?
YES!
47.95%
NO, I seem to be lucky.
38.36%
I have no idea what you are talking about...
13.70%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

POLL - Q7 MKII Sunroof Frame Creaking Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,171 Likes on 915 Posts
Default POLL - Q7 MKII Sunroof Frame Creaking Issue

I figured I would start a thread regarding the sunroof creaking problem many of us have been plagued by on the new generation Q7. I currently have a 2017 and the dealer has had their attempt at fixing it twice with no luck. It will be going in for its third round of repairs soon for this and hoping it is the last.

Please note, this issue is not related to the TSB that covers the headliner rattling. That is as simple as felt padding the headliner in strategic places.

This problem is much more involved. My car is creaking during driving at literally any speed (more pronounced at lower speeds where road noise is at a minimum due to stupid runflat tires) and the sound seems to be moving, very hard to narrow down exactly where it is coming from. My local dealer has another Q7 in the shop with the same issue... Audi technical has suggested ordering new sunroof frame bolts and replacing them, while torquing them to a certain value in a particular sequence... waiting to hear back if that is the golden ticket. I have heard of folks having the entire sunroof frame replaced, and still having the issue.

I went to another dealership and they said they have literally built sunroof frame adjustment into their regular service on the new Q7s. They do it every oil change... seems to me that is not a fix but just a bandaid. I would imagine Audi corporate knows very well this is a widespread issue...

Please help us out by voting. Also please state whether you have brought the car in for this issue, and if they have been able to fix it. This problem is driving me nuts and I wanted to get some more data on it... thanks in advance!
Old 05-16-2019, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at used Q7s, a dealer had one with a lemon law title. They said it was due to a squeaky sunroof that had been fixed by Audi. Since I couldn’t get it CPO was not interested.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I am wondering since I bought the car under warranty used, can I lemon law it for this? 3 repairs and they have used all their chances correct?
Old 05-16-2019, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I am wondering since I bought the car under warranty used, can I lemon law it for this? 3 repairs and they have used all their chances correct?
https://www.lemonlawamerica.com/mass...tts-lemon-law/
Old 05-17-2019, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q7 ME
I have been looking at used Q7s, a dealer had one with a lemon law title. They said it was due to a squeaky sunroof that had been fixed by Audi. Since I couldn’t get it CPO was not interested.
The real question here is will the issue appear again? It seems like the dealers and Audi are doing experimental repairs, considering no one has a permanent fix for the issue as far as I could tell from discussions with two local dealerships...
Old 06-13-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just got the Q7 back this week.
Went on a drive with the shop foreman before dropping it off and could not reproduce the creaking... very frustrating.
They checked everything, lubed it up good and it is silent... time will tell. Glad they went the extra step and tried more fixes even though they "couldn't reproduce".
They know I am very frustrated, considering this is the third time I was back for the same persistent issue. Fingers crossed!
Old 06-13-2019, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I’m not really sure if it’s my sunroof, but I have a creaky headliner. It pops when going over the slightest of uneven surfaces or pulling into somewhere at an angle that kind of flexes the car. Also have a rattle somewhere in the headliner above my head. It’s done both of these things since about 18 miles.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sickk23
I’m not really sure if it’s my sunroof, but I have a creaky headliner. It pops when going over the slightest of uneven surfaces or pulling into somewhere at an angle that kind of flexes the car. Also have a rattle somewhere in the headliner above my head. It’s done both of these things since about 18 miles.
go to dealer and have them perform TSB 2044417/7
"performed TSB and remove headliner and install felt tap(e) to clips and trim"
Old 06-14-2019, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
go to dealer and have them perform TSB 2044417/7
"performed TSB and remove headliner and install felt tap(e) to clips and trim"
Thank you

Yesterday I noticed if I vented the sunroof it would immediately stop the creaking/popping. Not the rattle above my head, though which is very intermittent.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you, guys, sure that no mother-in-law climbing up on top of your pano-roofs every once in a while?

Quick Reply: POLL - Q7 MKII Sunroof Frame Creaking Issue