Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
View Poll Results: Have you experienced sunroof creaking issues?
YES!
47.95%
NO, I seem to be lucky.
38.36%
I have no idea what you are talking about...
13.70%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

POLL - Q7 MKII Sunroof Frame Creaking Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,180 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by sickk23
Thank you

Yesterday I noticed if I vented the sunroof it would immediately stop the creaking/popping. Not the rattle above my head, though which is very intermittent.
Have them check sunroof frame bolts as well.
A good grease job has quieted mine down so far... time will tell.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It has been like 6 weeks or more and the car has been fabulous. No noises from the sunroof whatsoever. I am glad it seems to finally resolved!
The following users liked this post:
sickk23 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven’t been able to get mine in yet. So I have an annoying sunroof and a rattling door latch now, among several other issues. 2k miles in and already really frustrated with issues.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brought mine in 5 months ago and they said they "tightened" the sunroof. Admittedly, I have not opened it since and slightly hesitate to do so. So far totally quiet with approx 60% urban & 40% rural driving
When I suggested the TSB and remove headliner and install felt tap(e) to clips and trim. I was told they can do this but will not assure me the Alcantara will be perfectly replaced. That was a deal deal breaker to trigger that fix. Audi should do a recall and address this - full stop
The following users liked this post:
sickk23 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Had our 18 for little over a year...this rattle started within in 4 months. Also have a nasty one in the pillar by the front seat belt. Next service visit i'll be printing the TSB and having them attempt to fix both. Other than that, it's been good to go.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Reports like these and previous problems with a VW GLI moonroof convinced me to find a new SQ5 Premium with no moonroof. Also just don't want the extra heat and sunlight here in Central Florida. You can find Q5 and Q7 Audis without the moonroof or order them.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CFLQTRO
Reports like these and previous problems with a VW GLI moonroof convinced me to find a new SQ5 Premium with no moonroof. Also just don't want the extra heat and sunlight here in Central Florida. You can find Q5 and Q7 Audis without the moonroof or order them.
It's impossible to find them w/o moonroof unless you custom order. I had my moonroof panels tinted
Old 07-30-2019, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
It's impossible to find them w/o moonroof unless you custom order. I had my moonroof panels tinted
Not impossible. I bought mine from Audi South in Orlando. When I bought it in May they had 75 Q5's and 10 SQ5's in stock. There was 1 Q5 and 1 SQ5 without the moonroof. I bought the SQ5.

Traded in a 2018 Golf R, also no moonroof. Actually you can't buy a new Golf R in the US with a moonroof.

Probably a bigger market in Florida for cars without moonroofs than other areas.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It's been driving me crazy, so this was actually sunroof? I have been trying to figure out where the noise is coming from, I thought it was the B or C pillar passenger side, but now that I noticed this thread it makes me think that I have the same issue.
Do you hear it a lot more when you go over bumps, or when the frame flexes? I do not have the issue when I am driving normally on a flat road or when I am turning etc, but the moment I go over certain type of bumps or holes (doesn't have to be big, I can't replicate it with every bump, I suppose it has to flex the body certain way?) it makes a squeak like a mouse almost like water bottles rubbing each other at a high pitch or two styrofoam blocks along with a faint rattle.

Can someone share work order sheet or their receipt showing what was done so I can ask the dealer to do the same?
Old 07-30-2019, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
It's been driving me crazy, so this was actually sunroof? I have been trying to figure out where the noise is coming from, I thought it was the B or C pillar passenger side, but now that I noticed this thread it makes me think that I have the same issue.
Do you hear it a lot more when you go over bumps, or when the frame flexes? I do not have the issue when I am driving normally on a flat road or when I am turning etc, but the moment I go over certain type of bumps or holes (doesn't have to be big, I can't replicate it with every bump, I suppose it has to flex the body certain way?) it makes a squeak like a mouse almost like water bottles rubbing each other at a high pitch or two styrofoam blocks along with a faint rattle.

Can someone share work order sheet or their receipt showing what was done so I can ask the dealer to do the same?
I wish I had more paperwork on what was done... but yes it is coming from the sunroof... seems like it was in the headliner but it really is the sunroof frame.
And yes it is when the body is flexing, doesn't need to be a bumpy road per say.
The sound will almost move... the service manager at my dealership said put a sticky note where you think it's coming from and watch... it will wander.

Quick Reply: POLL - Q7 MKII Sunroof Frame Creaking Issue