Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

pre sense city vs pre sense front

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pre sense city vs pre sense front

Hi guys, I understand "pre sense front" does a lot more than "pre sense city", but I am confused with the front collision part between these two:

According to owner's manual, both functions will apply the brakes, but it looks like only "pre sense front" will actually stop the car with many stages on how brakes are applied. It says "pre sense city" just tries to decelerate. I thought "pre sense city" will try to stop the car as well, according to some reviews.

Another part is that it looks like "pre sense city" can detect pedestrians in addition to vehicles, but "pre sense front" can only detect vehicles.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2016, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure how this all works, and of course there is no way to test it.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jmike52
I'm not sure how this all works, and of course there is no way to test it.
One of the reasons I asked this question is due to my wife's recent encounter. The car in front of her stopped suddenly, while she was slamming the brake, she said she felt the brake pedal was already pressed. It is hard to determine if the car was actually stopped by her or pre sense city, but she believes pre sense city helped the situation. She did not pay attention to the console, therefore she is not sure if there were any pre sense messages.

Our new Q7 has pre sense city, so I am interested to know if this basic option has enough collision avoidance assistance (since we could not get the pre sense front).
Old 03-12-2016, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did experience a situation when I came up on someone who cut in front on me and slowed down. Audi pre sense appeared on the screen for a moment, but I was already applying breaks. One thing I've noticed, the radar is very accurate regarding cars in front of me who are accelerating. As long as I keep my speed the same - no warning.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jmike52
I did experience a situation when I came up on someone who cut in front on me and slowed down. Audi pre sense appeared on the screen for a moment, but I was already applying breaks. One thing I've noticed, the radar is very accurate regarding cars in front of me who are accelerating. As long as I keep my speed the same - no warning.
It sounds like you have pre sense front, so it has more functionalities.