Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 2018 feels "light" - Drive/Train/Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 2018 feels "light" - Drive/Train/Steering

A little over a month we purchased a 2018 CPO AUDI Q7 2 Liter Turbo engine. The car we bought was an Audi loaner with 9,500 miles on it.
Prior purchasing the car, we performed a test drive and noted the steering was responding "weird". The "lane-control" feature was engaged, but the Audi Rep didn't know how to disengage it at the time. Regardless, we thought that it would not be an issue once we disengage the feature. We purchased the car.
We left Audi and after driving the car for a couple of days and we both (me and my wife) had the sensation that the whole front drive/train/steering feels very "light" and imprecise leading one to drive the car (maintain control of the steering wheel) continuously re-steering and counter-steering to maintain the vehicle in the selected path. This was noted to happen independently by the different road configurations. After the initial delivery, we brought the car back to Audi 4 times in the last few weeks for them to attempt to figure out the issue in which we are desperately trying to explain, however, it doesn't seem like Audi can find any issue.
In the meanwhile, while our car was at Audi Service we had the opportunity to drive two other Audi Q7 loaners (a 2Liter Turbo like ours, and a 3L supercharged), and on both cars the steering felt more firm and definitely more precise compared to our car.
Just to reiterate the issue, this steering is not what I expected from an Audi with a weight of approx. 6000 gross pounds. In general, and with all due respect, I feel like I am driving a smaller type of car on a $12,000 budget car - you know what I mean!?!? I suggested Audi they should consider and check areas either mechanical (i.e. suspension/drivetrain/servosteering) or electronic since the driving options can be electronically configured through various settings. There are a lot of electronics in this SUV and, although my past experience includes car racing, I don’t know where else to turn so I am asking if anyone may have had experience this type of similar problem and figured out how to solve it.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you explain more about 'light' ?
Do you mean it pulls to one side always? or it's light to turn steering?
If you choose sport mode, it would feel heavier on steering.
Have you tried different driving mode?
Old 01-25-2019, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

There is another race car driver on this board who is having this issue. His name is 500cc, and perhaps you should join that thread as you both seem to have similar issues.

However, in your case, you have driven other Q7s back to back and actually notice the difference clearly so something is up. The one thing about the Q7 which is very noticeable is the over assisted steering. It is way too "light" in my opinion, but I think it works for this luxury SUV which is heavy and large. Even the steering in the X5s have been softened up with every generation, to appeal to the ladies that generally drive them. However, I dont find myself correcting the steering on the Q all the time like you said.

I dont understand the "The "lane-control" feature was engaged, but the Audi Rep didn't know how to disengage it at the time". The lane assist has to be turned on at the end of the control stalk in order to work, so one cannot engage it without turning it on. The lane markers also appear on the dash when its on so you would know. You need to put some pressure on the Audi dealer to fix this, or then find another dealer. I'm assuming your tire pressures are always set correctly?
Old 01-25-2019, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is the other thread

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...nders-2964686/
Old 01-25-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default unbelievable

[QUOTE=BigKutta;25266825]There is another race car driver on this board who is having this issue. His name is 500cc, and perhaps you should join that thread as you both seem to have similar issues.

However, in your case, you have driven other Q7s back to back and actually notice the difference clearly so something is up. The one thing about the Q7 which is very noticeable is the over assisted steering. It is way too "light" in my opinion, but I think it works for this luxury SUV which is heavy and large. Even the steering in the X5s have been softened up with every generation, to appeal to the ladies that generally drive them. However, I dont find myself correcting the steering on the Q all the time like you said.

I dont understand the "The "lane-control" feature was engaged, but the Audi Rep didn't know how to disengage it at the time". The lane assist has to be turned on at the end of the control stalk in order to work, so one cannot engage it without turning it on. The lane markers also appear on the dash when its on so you would know. You need to put some pressure on the Audi dealer to fix this, or then find another dealer. I'm assuming your tire pressures are always set correctly?[/QUOTE
i am the OP in the other thread. i cannot believe you found me!

YES this is the same issue, no doubt! and i'm discouraged to learn that you've driven others and found them fine. our exchange for a loaner is this monday, and my quest to get an audi fix is escalating. did you and your husband see the vids i posted? that shows it clearly.

amazingly, i am in miami too!! our dealer is audi north miami. surely their zone reps should know of this issue. i will tell ours by email today.

i will try to find out how to send a PM w my phone number; stay tuned
Old 01-25-2019, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
There is another race car driver on this board who is having this issue. His name is 500cc, and perhaps you should join that thread as you both seem to have similar issues.

I dont understand the "The "lane-control" feature was engaged, but the Audi Rep didn't know how to disengage it at the time". The lane assist has to be turned on at the end of the control stalk in order to work, so one cannot engage it without turning it on. The lane markers also appear on the dash when its on so you would know. You need to put some pressure on the Audi dealer to fix this, or then find another dealer. I'm assuming your tire pressures are always set correctly?
thank you! you are most kind to hook them up with me. yes! the problem must be the same. mine goes in on monday and i've already emailed my service mngr their issue, as amazingly we are both in miami! small world? gotta be the same 'zone rep'. fingers crossed.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you BigKutta for the hook up! Unbelievably we both live in Miami and have the exact same issue. Two different dealers, but only miles apart. Will keep you updated. Thanks again!
Old 01-25-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Electrically assisted steering, that's one point. 4WS that's something else again. Drive mode will also impact the feel of the steering. All of these contribute to what you are describing. I really don't think you will be able to do anything about it.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Didnt read enitre thread...are your tires overinflated?
Old 01-25-2019, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RJC 1
Didnt read enitre thread...are your tires overinflated?
no;please read the thread

Quick Reply: Q7 2018 feels "light" - Drive/Train/Steering