Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 Choosing between running boards, AWS and Tow Assist

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Atvars
You can get (at least here in Europe) running boards in combination with AWS, but then trailer assistant isn't available. Running boards can not be combined with trailer assistant, I don't know why...
What exactly do you mean by "Trailer Assistant?" Is this the electrically actuated hitch ball that comes out from below the rear hatch?

Grey
Old 06-22-2017, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greystoke
What exactly do you mean by "Trailer Assistant?" Is this the electrically actuated hitch ball that comes out from below the rear hatch?

Grey
In Europe there are 2 trailer hitch options:
1. Simple trailer hitch (that also comes out electrically). Costs around 1000 eur.
2. Trailer hitch, including "Trailer Assistant". Costs around 1350 eur.
Trailer assistant is like parking assistant (btw, trailer assistant is activated with the same button as parking assistant), car is steering backwards trailer itself, you only give with MMI button direction, where you want the trailer to go. All other is done by car. When Trailer Assistant active, you can't even turn the steering wheel, car is at full control of steering.
As I understand, this kind of option is not available in US.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Atvars
In Europe there are 2 trailer hitch options:
1. Simple trailer hitch (that also comes out electrically). Costs around 1000 eur.
2. Trailer hitch, including "Trailer Assistant". Costs around 1350 eur.
Trailer assistant is like parking assistant (btw, trailer assistant is activated with the same button as parking assistant), car is steering backwards trailer itself, you only give with MMI button direction, where you want the trailer to go. All other is done by car. When Trailer Assistant active, you can't even turn the steering wheel, car is at full control of steering.
As I understand, this kind of option is not available in US.
Ok this makes sense to me now. So basically you are asking them to produce a vehicle which has additional engineering and programming to automatically back a trailer with 4 wheel steering on the tow vehicle. I see where Audi would not want to perform the additional engineering required to integrate those together. Although one could make the argument for them to just lock out the rear wheels when performing the auto backing.

Grey
Old 06-22-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Greystoke
Ok this makes sense to me now. So basically you are asking them to produce a vehicle which has additional engineering and programming to automatically back a trailer with 4 wheel steering on the tow vehicle. I see where Audi would not want to perform the additional engineering required to integrate those together. Although one could make the argument for them to just lock out the rear wheels when performing the auto backing.

Grey
Trailer Assistant works with AWS as well.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

SO what is what people?.... I always thought that AWS and running boards do not go together. Now someone said they do..... and then someone said they dont.

I have AWS and trailer assistant....Can I get boards ...yes or no ?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Gani
SO what is what people?.... I always thought that AWS and running boards do not go together. Now someone said they do..... and then someone said they dont.

I think the quick answer is yes - on your own.

Order guide from Audi precludes running boards if tow package is chosen, there is no such restriction with AWS and Air.

However, it hasn't been very clear what's the reason why these can't go together, and it seems that installing running boards after the fact is possible.

There has to be a reason WHY Audi doesn't want to sell tow package along with the running boards, but apparently they are keeping it to themselves.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Running boards can't be combined with trailer assistant, why, I don't know.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went on the Audi.de site earlier and it does let you configure AWS with running boards. Very strange.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by srbsq7
I went on the Audi.de site earlier and it does let you configure AWS with running boards. Very strange.
Very interesting. When you go to configure AWS, towing and running boards, you get this message:

Forcing you to delete either running boards OR tow package.
WHAT THE HELL DO THESE THINGS HAVE IN COMMON ????
Old 06-26-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I was told its because of the gross weight of the vehicle they won't do towing and running boards.