Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 Now Ready for Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
I wanted to reuse my OE 2012 Q7 18" winter set with Michelin X-Ice tires on (less than 1/32" worn), but as the bolt pattern changed for new generation Q7s - it was not feasible. I've ended up selling the set - to good hands. I firmly believe that the less alloy and the more rubber in winter set is - the better this set is for winter driving. So, I've ordered 18" rims with Blizzaks DM-V2 on them from the Tire Rack and have them installed about three weeks ago. It was a pleasant surprise how nice a ride the Blizzaks offer - perhaps more quiet and smooth than Michelins X-Ice which I've used on my other three vehicles before... Another surprise - I actually do like the rims from the Tire Rack available for this size of tires. They did look fairly mediocre on the web-site, but in real life they match well Orca Black Q7.

Is there any chance you can post-up a picture of the TR 18" package? My wife traded her Honda Odyssey for a new Q7 and we've got stock Honda wheels with Pirelli Winter Sports that are useless to us. I need to find a good winter option for her Q7 and would love to see the 18" option on that vehicle. There are so many tire choices in 18", but 19 and 20 are somewhat limited..
Old 11-11-2017, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What wheel is this?
Old 11-11-2017, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jim Webber
Is there any chance you can post-up a picture of the TR 18" package? My wife traded her Honda Odyssey for a new Q7 and we've got stock Honda wheels with Pirelli Winter Sports that are useless to us. I need to find a good winter option for her Q7 and would love to see the 18" option on that vehicle. There are so many tire choices in 18", but 19 and 20 are somewhat limited..

NEVERMIND: I see the picture above; it was right under my nose!!
Old 11-11-2017, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry if this is a stupid question but i'm coming off a lexus and the car has a active TPMS sensor on each wheel, does the audi has them too? i read somewhere that audi uses an indirect TPMS, so it uses the ABS system to relay back the tire pressure data.. today i just bought my winter setup so i was thinking if i need to get the TPMS sensor and if i do what frequency is it for the Q7?
Old 11-11-2017, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks pretty good. I was considering the same set. Was it a drop-in replacement for the OEM 20s - no issues with brake clearance etc?

Did you look into compatible Audi (or plain) caps? That MSW logo is the one thing that rubs me the wrong way about those wheels.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mrp0rky
sorry if this is a stupid question but i'm coming off a lexus and the car has a active TPMS sensor on each wheel, does the audi has them too? i read somewhere that audi uses an indirect TPMS, so it uses the ABS system to relay back the tire pressure data.. today i just bought my winter setup so i was thinking if i need to get the TPMS sensor and if i do what frequency is it for the Q7?
No TPMS. Put new set of wheels/tires on and then calibrate tire air pressure settings through the control menu.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cosmokitty
That looks pretty good. I was considering the same set. Was it a drop-in replacement for the OEM 20s - no issues with brake clearance etc?

Did you look into compatible Audi (or plain) caps? That MSW logo is the one thing that rubs me the wrong way about those wheels.
Agree about the MSW center caps... No, I did not look for Audi caps replacements, not yet. No issues with brakes clearance. When I was in buying process, a guy from the TR told me that their owner drives Q7 with the same winter set on.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agree about the MSW center caps... No, I did not look for Audi caps replacements, not yet. No issues with brakes clearance. When I was in buying process, a guy from the TR told me that their owner drives Q7 with the same winter set on.
My aftermarket black Audi center caps for MSW Type 48 wheels finally arrived. They are of decent quality - exactly as pictured on Amazon.com:
Amazon Amazon

Removed the MSW center caps using an old trick with sticky Velcro:

Here are a couple of pics (sorry, wheels are not very clean it was raining and snowing a bit this evening):
Attached Thumbnails Q7 Now Ready for Winter-dsc02079.jpg   Q7 Now Ready for Winter-dsc02082.jpg  
Old 12-04-2017, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My aftermarket black Audi center caps for MSW Type 48 wheels finally arrived. They are of decent quality - exactly as pictured on Amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/Hanway-4pcs-W...mm+center+caps
Thanks so much for the update, those caps make the MSW wheel set a heck of a lot more palatable.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cosmokitty
Thanks so much for the update, those caps make the MSW wheel set a heck of a lot more palatable.
What do you guys think about the quality of MSW wheels?I am still waiting for the BBS rims to be stocked .

Quick Reply: Q7 Now Ready for Winter