Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Quattro sno!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
Jacked mine up to the max Offroad here last week, 12" unplowed, and it came through like a champ getting out of the 'hood to plowed highway - just AS 21"Pirellis.
This makes me feel better ... I'm headed up there next week. So what exactly does the offroad function do? I was under the impression that anything less than prestige doesn't have air ride suspension systems ...
Old 03-05-2019, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Large Coke
This makes me feel better ... I'm headed up there next week. So what exactly does the offroad function do? I was under the impression that anything less than prestige doesn't have air ride suspension systems ...
Both of mine are Prestige with air suspension, and the Offroad setting raises the chassis to the maximum height. The Auto setting actually put the skid plate on top of the snow, so the car wasn't going anywhere until I lifted it. I honestly forgot about the air suspension until the car refused to budge!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasaint
i want to go R2 or R3 next winter. I'm pretty sure the Q will be a beast with them
I hear things... yeah, these R3s seem outstanding for winter conditions. I just don't wanna get stuck again in snow, so I'd like to get tbem for next year. Too bad tbese Scorpion winters have plenty of thread left, maybe another season, but definitely decided to switch.
When you doubt, you stay out.

cheers

Bob
PS: i also got an excellent shovel to go along with the Quattro. Thanks Home Depot(and again, Candide
Old 03-08-2019, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

They are available in 285/40-275/45/21, which is awesome, my size, for about same coin i paid for the Scorpion winters from Tirerack. Both fit, 45s with more cushy ride(but snugly fit, less wheel well clearance). Which one is better for snow season?
cheers ,

Bob
Old 03-08-2019, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I run 265/50/20’s for my R2’s. They are perfect in deep snow.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSQ5
I hear things... yeah, these R3s seem outstanding for winter conditions. I just don't wanna get stuck again in snow, so I'd like to get tbem for next year. Too bad tbese Scorpion winters have plenty of thread left, maybe another season, but definitely decided to switch.
When you doubt, you stay out.

cheers

Bob
PS: i also got an excellent shovel to go along with the Quattro. Thanks Home Depot(and again, Candide
Originally Posted by BOBSQ5
They are available in 285/40-275/45/21, which is awesome, my size, for about same coin i paid for the Scorpion winters from Tirerack. Both fit, 45s with more cushy ride(but snugly fit, less wheel well clearance). Which one is better for snow season?
cheers ,

Bob
I think, in general, narrower is considered better for snow, so 275/45/21.... But honestly, it sounds like you got highsided because of the lowered suspension, rather than really having a failure of your winter tires or of the quattro system per se. So why change your tires if you still have a a good season left in your current ones? Not even the R3's or Blizzaks, or whatever you consider the best winter tire in the world, is going to get you unstuck if you're highsided!
Old 03-08-2019, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

True. Makes sense. I won't change back the springs. Car drives so much better (even on snow, sans snow banks or unplowed), just wanted peace of mind of the extra grip of a R3. But like you said, it probably won't make much difference due to being lowered.
But i got now a 15$ shovel(and pocket the 1500$ savings).

Thanks,

Cheers,

Bob
Old 03-09-2019, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

If there is that much snow that it's causing you issues of getting high centered, just stay home. That's why man invented whiskey.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not so sure lowered or wide wheels has anything to do with getting stuck. This R8 smashing the snow lowered and smashing. Air suspension or not...I’ve driven my old Prius with chains in a massive storm driving to Kirkwood in Tahoe
Old 03-13-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

In Some hard packed snow that R8 probably won't go far. But in OP case who knows. I'm also running the scropions winter and I had no issues going off road snowy/icey trails. Off road mode definitely helped me out there .

Quick Reply: Quattro sno!