Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Rattling noise in sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audipeter
FWIW - I had the same moonroof rattle/slight-squeak issue whenever I drove over bumps with my 2017 Q7 (manufactured 11/2016) . If I tilted the roof open the noise would go away. I had my 10K maintenance done last week and the dealer (Natick, MA) said they have a TSB so would look into fixing it. Got my car earlier this week and so far the noise is gone - crossing fingers.

This from the maintenance record:
"With test drive of the vehicle an abnormal noise from the sunroof assembly was identified. With reference to TSB 2044417/7 an application of felt tape around several key points was performed."

I also mentioned the right rear seat seats-belt/buckle rattle which they said they could *not* reproduce; it only happens when my kid is in the seat. Guess I will have to sit back there myself and see if I can figure out what is going on.

In overall love my Q7 but this handful of small nuisances (sunroof table, seat/belt rattle, video on reverse parking sometimes not working, various bulb/tail light intermittent malfunctions and the super annoying squeaking brakes) is not something I expect from a $65K German car
Yes, mine had the TSB done as well, but it did not fix the rattle. That was why the dealer "recommended" replacing the sunroof frame. So far after 1000 mile road trip, I have not heard the rattle yet. Still crossing my fingers...
Old 01-05-2018, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2018 Q5 this this rattle issue. I'm planning to take it in to the deal or have them do the felt tape work or something else. This is super annoying and disappointing that they haven't fixed this issue in production yet. Anyone have a DIY fix that works?
Old 01-05-2018, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by discogone
Yes, mine had the TSB done as well, but it did not fix the rattle. That was why the dealer "recommended" replacing the sunroof frame. So far after 1000 mile road trip, I have not heard the rattle yet. Still crossing my fingers...
So the dealer replaced the sunroof frame on yours? How many times did you have to in for them to do this? Mine is MY2017 Nov 2016 built. My dealership said that they didn't hear anything unusual. Sunroof is a large part and some parts will move.... But the rattle is so damn annoying!

Someone please share the TSB # or link to it. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2018, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TSB on my car is listed in my entry: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post25088611
The felt-tape thingy did fix my issue (at least temporary) but I am not confident it is gone forever based on what others seem to have experienced. Maybe the cold weather up here in NewEngland made the rattle go away..?
Old 01-05-2018, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

The TSB on my car is listed in my entry: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post25088611
The felt-tape thingy did fix my issue (at least temporary) but I am not confident it is gone forever based on what others seem to have experienced. Maybe the cold weather up here in NewEngland made the rattle go away..?
If anything the cold should magnify the issue with parts shrinking and all. But felt can work. My BMW's moonroof rattled and felt applied by the dealer fixed it permanently
Old 01-05-2018, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bhatiaax
So the dealer replaced the sunroof frame on yours? How many times did you have to in for them to do this? Mine is MY2017 Nov 2016 built. My dealership said that they didn't hear anything unusual. Sunroof is a large part and some parts will move.... But the rattle is so damn annoying!

Yes, they replaced the frame, and so far I am happy with the result. I have had them checked the rattle maybe about 5 times in the past two years. They tried the grease and felt tape before, but nothing lasted. They offered to replace the frame last time, but I was afraid of the side effects of removing the headliners. I finally pulled the trigger this time.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by discogone
I was afraid of the job that involves removing the headliner, and my worst nightmare has come true. Just after one month, now the headliner above the rear seats has become loose and makes rattle/ticking noises when going over uneven surface or bumps.

Time for another trip back to the dealership.

Last edited by discogone; 01-29-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Benefit of living in Siberia

'18 Q7 made 08/17. My rig has a tick-tick sound going over bumps (Similar to two-open-seat buckles touching one another). The car has to warm up for the noise to start. It's been a VERY-mild Winter here in Central Oregon. I might not hear it if it was extremely cold. I'm going back to the dealer on 2/22 to have them address TSB 2044417/17. I'm more of the opinion the problem is in the rear seat frame. I'm not looking forward to having my head liner removed. I'll continue to play detective!
Old 02-11-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hope this is it.

Originally Posted by bhatiaax

TSB 2044417/7.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta laugh when I read these posts. Yes there should not be a sunroof rattle on $65K car. Myself and others have that AND a seatbelt strap that doesn’t always retract and that is on a $115K 991 Porsche! I guess my point is it shouldn’t occur on a a $35K car either..If that’s all the money in the world to you you expect the same level of service. It’s all relative. Also guess what, if you think the Audi stealerships are bad the Porsche stealerships are the same only with an attitude. Brought my car in for TSB work a while back. They usually pull the car out for you to get in. They did not do it this time. Being retired from a famous law enforcement agency, my spidey sence was up. Walked around the car to find a HUGE scratch on a 6 month old car. Now if they had owned up to it I would not have been happy, but accidents happen. It was the fact that they tried to say they didn’t do it “it was already there when you brought the car in”. Luckily I had the paperwork with me from when I brought the car in where they walk around and check for scratches on the car and then have you sign off. NO SCRATCHES OR DENTS. They are total condescending scumers at Porsche. I now only use an indie that just deals with Porsches. They are losing service customers and they don’t care they only want you if you get a new car every 2 years or so from them. My experience with my Audi dealer is different then most I guess on here, as it has been mostly very positive. It is the reason my wife and I have bought 5 cars from them and I guess the reason they treat us well.

Quick Reply: Rattling noise in sunroof?