Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Rattling noise in sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is driving me nuts, so I'm going to try the felt tape trick. Of course, I hit 50k last month. I should have had this taken care of sooner..........
Old 04-30-2021, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 Q7, same thing, I just figured it out today... I tried Armour All on the whole seal, no good... I will keep trying...
Old 04-30-2021, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RW10286
I have a 2015 Q7, same thing, I just figured it out today... I tried Armour All on the whole seal, no good... I will keep trying...
For me, I apply Armour All at the area in the center of the sunroof, where both pieces of glass meet. I tilt the sunroof and apply it on the rubber seals of both pieces of glass. That's my troublesome spot every 5000 miles.
The following users liked this post:
mbs (04-30-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecbc1
For me, I apply Armour All at the area in the center of the sunroof, where both pieces of glass meet. I tilt the sunroof and apply it on the rubber seals of both pieces of glass. That's my troublesome spot every 5000 miles.
Thanks for sharing that. So far, mine only rattles after a cold start for the first 5 minutes. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've noticed a squeak in my sunroof shade. It annoys the crap out of me. Has anyone else had this and found a good fix for it?
Old 05-10-2021, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by crl0901
I've noticed a squeak in my sunroof shade. It annoys the crap out of me. Has anyone else had this and found a good fix for it?
It depends on what the problem is the sunroof. You can ask your dealer to lubricate the sunroof to see if that solves the issue.

In my case, I had the Tech for 30 min one day for a ride diagnosing another problem. I asked him what he does to get rid of the noise in every service, he tells me he uses armorall where the rubber seals meet. Especially the area behind the driver seat and tilt the sunroof.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just out of curiosity; do you think the rattle is more likely to appear with use of the sunroof?

I don't use it very often and might avoid opening it up if the rattle would get worse.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It depends on what the problem is the sunroof. You can ask your dealer to lubricate the sunroof to see if that solves the issue.

In my case, I had the Tech for 30 min one day for a ride diagnosing another problem. I asked him what he does to get rid of the noise in every service, he tells me he uses armorall where the rubber seals meet. Especially the area behind the driver seat and tilt the sunroof.
Ok, cool, I'll give that a shot. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Tinnitus
Just out of curiosity; do you think the rattle is more likely to appear with use of the sunroof?

I don't use it very often and might avoid opening it up if the rattle would get worse.
I think it gets worse with opening it up. I think that's when the rubber seals get separated. My guess is that the seals dry out and make noise when they rub. You can sometimes hear it it when u push the sunroof up with your hands when closed.

I always start noticing the noise after I close the sunroof. And then after a few days, it'll stop.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. Tinnitus (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think it gets worse with opening it up. I think that's when the rubber seals get separated. My guess is that the seals dry out and make noise when they rub. You can sometimes hear it it when u push the sunroof up with your hands when closed.

I always start noticing the noise after I close the sunroof. And then after a few days, it'll stop.
I figured that might be the case and was avoiding using it since this is such a common issue.

Quick Reply: Rattling noise in sunroof?