Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Real time traffic info and Google earth not working in canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jk2317
Very interesting. I was reading all through the thread about enabling Google Earth without Audi Connect. I'm certainly keen to try a little messing around to get that going.

I would really appreciate help understanding the terms "internal SIM" and "external SIM." They are used all over that other thread, but I'm not sure which is which, and what are the characteristics and capabilities of each.

You also specifically mentioned that you got hotspot working *without* Audi Connect. Is that a case where you purchase some sort of data-only plan from a regular Canadian (or, I suppose, US-based) provider? The car I'm most interested in right now does lack Audi Connect, so I'm very keen to learn about the possibilities in a vehicle lacking that option.

Thanks!
Internal sim is the one inside mmi head unit, and you cannot take it out or change it. That is the sim used for audi connect features. I am not sure if it is present in all non audi connect q7s, but it does in mine.
External sim is the one you can plug into between sd cards slots on mmi head unit.
I can use hotspot both with internal and external sims, with internal sim working without any contract obligations from my side, and external requiring me to purchase sim and a contract with cell company.