Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Sudden strange behavior playing music from iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sudden strange behavior playing music from iPhone

Hi all,

So the other day, I turned on my car some time in the 2nd half of the day (I had driven it a few times earlier that day) and all of a sudden, I had no sound via either Bluetooth or USB cable from my iPhone. I could still listen to the radio and satellite, but nothing from the iPhone.

Now, in the past, when I have issues with audio from my iPhone (like glitching sound or a different song being played other than what's being displayed on the MMI screen), I'll do a hard reset of the phone and that resolves the problem.

This time, however, it did nothing, even after 3 resets. I also tried shutting off the car and re-starting it, but to no avail.

So I continued on my trip (about 15 minutes) and then the car was off for about 45 minutes.

When I started it back up, the audio from my phone was working again, but ever since then, the behavior is different than it has been up to that point.

What I mean is that normally if I have Shuffle turned on, the tracks are displayed in the order they'll play. Now, they're displayed alphabetical, but they simply don't play in order. So they play in a random fashion, but they're still displayed alphabetically.

And ever since then, it's still this way.

Has anybody experienced this and do you know how to fix it?

I haven't changed any settings on my phone or in the car. It's just very bizarre. I was looking through the menu to see if there's a way to "reset" the MMI system, but I didn't see anything that looked like that.

TIA for any info / advice!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been having the shuffle issue since I got the car. The dealership people told me it was how my phone was set, which I quickly dismissed and told them no other car does that. It gets really annoying when you have long DJ mix sets that have incremental track markers to be able to skip through sets and it randomly plays different "tracks" in various orders.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did they offer any type of explanation (even if bogus) as to what settings on your phone could possibly contribute to the behavior you were experiencing?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you listening through MMI or through Apple CarPlay?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

MMI in my case.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Since iOS 8.4 or thereabouts (whenever they added "upnext") I've found the itunes shuffle algorithm to be completely untrustworthy. At best it would go about 200-300 songs and then start repeating stuff. At worst it would play the same song 5x in a row. This would be out of 1000+ on the phone.

To fix this I downloaded a program called Ecoute (i think its $1 in the app store) which still lets you use iTunes per normal (and it updates your itunes history). I let Ecoute do the shuffle (which really just seems to create a randomized playlist of all your songs - you may be able to do this by playlist too, idk, I just throw a large volume of songs on there, listen to everything 1x and then switch songs so I don't create separate playlists)

The shuffle in the MMI is unchecked, I pretty much don't touch the phone though for this to work. I think even plugging it in so icould backup runs screws it up. Restarting the phone may as well. Occasionally a 3rd party thing like a music player from a car can interfere, but neither of my vehicles do.

Ecoute won't work through carplay.

I'm kind of curious if apple ever fixed the shuffle player.

Sorry if this post is not helpful. I would make sure the shuffle in the MMI is unchecked, don't use car play and try to avoid iTunes. I guess the moral of the story I've found iTunes/iOS to be temperamental (did you upgrade iOS recently?) so my theory is that is your problem not the MMI.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think what the OP is saying is that even though he unchecks the shuffle feature in the MMI it just turns back on. At least that is what happens to me. It has nothing to do with the iPhone shuffle feature.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worth having a look at iOS 10.3 which was released yesterday as CarPlay has been updated. Haven't had chance to check it out yet.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I have the same issue. Additionally, the album art displayed gets out of sync with the song, usually being one song behind.

I find that turning the shuffle on/off in the phone also turns it on/off in the MMI and vice versa. I'm using MMI connect, not CarPlay. But I believe it has the same issue when connected over bluetooth.

I'm going to give the Ecoute app suggested by Brimstone a try.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

May sound like a stupid question, but where do you "turn off" shuffle on your iphone? When I play music directly on my phone it simply goes down the list of tracks on a given album or playlist. When I plug it into my car, it goes into shuffle mode...

Quick Reply: Sudden strange behavior playing music from iPhone