Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Sunroof issues result

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, that sucks termite, hope they get it squared away soon and you get your car back, minus the squeaking.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi should make a car without a sunroof of any kind. All my cars in the last 20 years had sunroof. I might have opened it once a year. Most of the time, I kept the screens close to avoid getting sun in.
The following users liked this post:
clars (03-25-2024)
Old 05-12-2016, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Update: car is still at the dealership...the new glass appears to have cured the clunking noise [the noise that did not really bother me], but they have not stopped the squeaking noise right over the driver's head. I am getting the 'we have been on the phone with Audi many times and are waiting for instructions' but still no car back after almost five full days in the shop. The last I heard late in the day yesterday was that Audi wanted the dealer to remove the Audi roof rack bars to see if anything changed. When I pointed out that the rack was OEM and properly installed with the Audi torque tool, the response was, we have to take it off anyway...no news today so far. Very frustrating on a car with 540 miles on it.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default In the same boat but maybe a fix in sight

Today is day six in the shop. After a second drive with the service guy, they think they have isolated the noise. Apparently, the headliner has these metal clips that lock into a metal frame in the roof. (best description I could come up with since I haven't actually seen it) It seems that the rattling has something to do with the contact points. Hoping whatever they do finally does the trick.

Originally Posted by termite
Update: car is still at the dealership...the new glass appears to have cured the clunking noise [the noise that did not really bother me], but they have not stopped the squeaking noise right over the driver's head. I am getting the 'we have been on the phone with Audi many times and are waiting for instructions' but still no car back after almost five full days in the shop. The last I heard late in the day yesterday was that Audi wanted the dealer to remove the Audi roof rack bars to see if anything changed. When I pointed out that the rack was OEM and properly installed with the Audi torque tool, the response was, we have to take it off anyway...no news today so far. Very frustrating on a car with 540 miles on it.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm really starting to wonder how much of these noisy roof issues have at least partly to do with the fact that the 4M Q7 is the first Audi of its kind to have such a large panoramic roof that is framed almost entirely by a sheet-aluminum roof section which includes the upper crossmembers. Though aluminum has generally excellent properties for this and many other applications, sheet aluminum in particular is bit more prone to flex and is generally "softer"

Old 05-17-2016, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I picked up the car on Saturday after 6 full shop days. The squeak over the driver's head appears to have been fixed. Even though they replaced the glass, there is still an intermittent rattle toward the rear. Equally frustrating is that they did not turn on the ACC distance screen, despite me reminding them several times. Additionally, the car, at 560 miles, was filthy and the door sills scratched up. Car has to go back this week...
Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Sunroof

Sunroof delete would be awesome. I would jump at that!!
Old 05-17-2016, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up the car on Saturday after 6 full shop days. The squeak over the driver's head appears to have been fixed. Even though they replaced the glass, there is still an intermittent rattle toward the rear. Equally frustrating is that they did not turn on the ACC distance screen, despite me reminding them several times. Additionally, the car, at 560 miles, was filthy and the door sills scratched up. Car has to go back this week...
Ugh! The worst thing is when the dealership gives back ur vehicle all filthy.I had that happen for me once for my 7 and never bought a car there again.Is your dealer burdick?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Sunroof noise fixed.

Noise appears to be fixed. This is the 3rd time in so really hoping this works. It appears they did what I saw mentioned in another post and applied a felt type material between the headliner and the frame. I have yet to find one person who said the seal lubrication fixed their issue. It certainly didn't for me and left this white streak on the seals. Hopeful that the next time I have to visit the dealer is for my 10k service!!

Originally Posted by imcav8r
Today is day six in the shop. After a second drive with the service guy, they think they have isolated the noise. Apparently, the headliner has these metal clips that lock into a metal frame in the roof. (best description I could come up with since I haven't actually seen it) It seems that the rattling has something to do with the contact points. Hoping whatever they do finally does the trick.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 2017 Q7 (bought in Feb 2016) has been in shop 4 times for sunroof/noise issues, now the back seat squeaks badly. Fit and finish on this car seems to be a disaster. VERY frustrated

I posted earlier about my creaking sunroof and it went into the dealer on Friday morning. By the afternoon, the service manager had been on the phone many times with Audi and called me to tell me that Audi is aware of this issue on several Q7s and that it is not dry seals, pollen, or dirt. The fix is twofold. First, they add felt between all of the clips on the headliner and the roof panel at the leading edge of the sunroof opening . The second fix is that they are replacing the front glass panel [!], as there is a problem at the seal between the front glass panel and the rear glass panel. They are not able to stop the rattle between the two panels without replacing the front one. The new glass is supposed to be in today and hopefully this will fix the noisy panoramic roof...

Quick Reply: Sunroof issues result