Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Sunroof issues result

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobster24
now the back seat squeaks badly.
I was getting a rattling noise out of the back seat area - found that it was the 3rd row seat headrests. When the 3rd row is folded down, the headrests hang and there is movement, which was making the noise. Was driving me nuts, but now that I put some WD40 into the hinge, the noise is gone.

Other than that, my Q7 is solid.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx will check it out.

Originally Posted by zekeman
I was getting a rattling noise out of the back seat area - found that it was the 3rd row seat headrests. When the 3rd row is folded down, the headrests hang and there is movement, which was making the noise. Was driving me nuts, but now that I put some WD40 into the hinge, the noise is gone.

Other than that, my Q7 is solid.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I dropped my 2017 Q7 off at the dealer today with the sunroof squeak. I only had 400 miles on the car when it started to happen. More prevalent over larger bumps. I was told by the dealer that the fix is highly complex (i.e. removal of headliner and disassemble of the sun roof, etc.) if the felt and lubrication does not work after the first try.

I am highly disappointed since the car is only a month old. I was hoping to get a least a year out of the car before it was in the shop for quality or design issues. My gut is telling me that this could be an ongoing issue for this car. I will report back on the fix.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon05
I dropped my 2017 Q7 off at the dealer today with the sunroof squeak. I only had 400 miles on the car when it started to happen. More prevalent over larger bumps. I was told by the dealer that the fix is highly complex (i.e. removal of headliner and disassemble of the sun roof, etc.) if the felt and lubrication does not work after the first try.

I am highly disappointed since the car is only a month old. I was hoping to get a least a year out of the car before it was in the shop for quality or design issues. My gut is telling me that this could be an ongoing issue for this car. I will report back on the fix.
Mine was in the shop for sunroof noise for a total of 13 working days. They replaced the front glass, the drivers seat track and base parts, dropped the headliner to fix a metal flange at the front of the sunroof, and adjusted it multiple times. When I picked it up it was blissfully quiet. Now at 800 miles (200 miles later) it squeaks and rattles every morning.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Maybe the key is just to turn up the radio and ignore it. I am afraid that the dealer could do more harm than good with this type of stuff. I will give it one try and see what happens with their fix. I am sure Audi knows about this. Either it's a design flaw or a quality issue from the factory. However, I would hate to settle when you pay $$$$$$ for a car.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My car is back in for either the 4th or 5th try. I have lost count. It's been there a week today and latest is 1-2 more days. Per ASB (I'm guessing that means Audi Service Bulletin), there is a fix so that means that per ASB, there is also a known issue. I have been without my car for nearly 1 month of the 5 that I've owned it. Not to mention that now due to all the history attached to the car, my resale value has likely taken a larger than usual drop. I'm at my wits end with this but hopeful it is fixed this time around.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am just curious but what does ASB entail? It sound like they are rebuilding the car?
Old 06-08-2016, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It just means that Audi has recognized this is a problem with enough vehicles that they need to develop a written fix for it. Sort of a SOP for eliminating or fixing the issue. I will say though that I don't think this is a sunroof issue. It appears to be more of a headliner issue that makes it seem like it's coming from the sunroof. Typically, sunroof noise does not go away by putting pressure on the headliner.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I heard from the dealer yesterday and Audi Germany is requesting that my dealer video the sound of the rattle. Upon receipt they will then determine the best fix. This is going to take time. I almost wish I never brought my car in. I miss my car
Old 06-10-2016, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=Simon05;24822240]I heard from the dealer yesterday and Audi Germany is requesting that my dealer video the sound of the rattle. Upon receipt they will then determine the best fix. This is going to take time. I almost wish I never brought my car in. I miss my car[/QUOTE

I heard from my dealer and my car is in pieces now. From what I heard this is a known manufacturing issue and the fix is extensive. I will be without a car for a least another week.

Quick Reply: Sunroof issues result