Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Suntek PPF

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suntek PPF

I've been talking back and forth with the guy who is going to install the PPF for me. We are talking price and options, one of the ideas he floated past me is using the Matte PPF on the satin grill frame. I think that's a great actually because I was thinking the gloss film may look weird on the satin grill frame. I am just wondering if anyone else with PPF installed on their Q7 has done this or even if you have the gloss PPF on the grill. Also if you could share some pics..
Old 12-16-2016, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I plan on taking delivery next week and asked my SA if they could take my Q7 to the PPF shop to get wrapped for me prior to me taking delivery so they could just roll that cost into the financing. But the SA would rather push the dealship wrap guy on me who uses 3M film and will only do a "bikini" wrap instead of the full frontal wrap which is what I want. Oh well their loss, I could have paid the 3% or whatever the interest is on the loan for an extra $1800(cost of the wrap) over the term of the loan but the SA is not wanting to play ball on that deal. I do have the Q7 on an overnight demo tonight and tomorrow so I am going to take it by the wrap guys shop tomorrow to see the products and finishes to finalize my Suntek PPF, tint and Lamin X install.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I met with the Suntek installed this morning to go over my install. He gave me a couple of samples of the PPF C and PPF Matte. So I gave them a try to see what it would look like on the grill with the Matte vs the gloss. I definitely like the Matte finish on the grill.

And since I know I am going to have a bunch of scrap left over from cutting out the grill surround I was thinking it might look good on the mirrors so I gave it a try too. I know theirs another member who is getting a Florett Silver with Matte PPF done, this will give a taste of what you are in for.

Hopefully the pic doesn't suck too bad but it is from my old iPhone 6.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

How did it look in person? Tough to tell from the phone photo... There is a slim chance I end up with a different film as I've heard really good things about STEK having higher strength in terms of protection and lasting longer. Only problem is it will cost me a lot more (although the shop is probably a bit better as well and local). Haven't fully committed to either yet, but I'm going to check out some of the work in late Jan or early Feb to see how the shop that I currently have worked out vs the local one compares. My buddy has used the Vancouver one for 3 cars and the local shop gets very high praise from someone I trust knows his stuff.

Tough debate either way but I've got some time to figure it all out.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Matte seems like it makes the metal flake pop more which seems weird because the paint still has the sparkle but no shine. I do like the Matte for the grill and will be going with that for the grill surround. And using the PPF C gloss for the frontal wrap.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome thanks. I will probably see if I can pick up a sample sheet from my shop in January and stick it on local car to check it out. Sounds like a nice color effect.