Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Tire vote - Moved to Winter from Paradise

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrrrr2
Folks
Here's my dilemma, we just moved to CT from Florida and I need to replace the tires - I want to go AS vs Snow because, honestly, its cheaper and less hassle - get it and forget it.

The tires for my '17 Q7 3.0T PP model (20"s) are hard to come by, but after calling around, I have two options - which would you pick?

1. SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON RUN FLAT - SIZE: 285/45R20
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Premium%20Plus
or

2. EAGLE SPORT ALL-SEASON RUNONFLAT (H- OR V-SPEED RATED) - SIZE: 285/45R20
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Premium%20Plus

Thanks!!

I'm getting my Goodyear Eagles 285/ 45 R20 swapped out . They were horrible. Tires chunked out and wore down early. I'm getting Audi to replace them with Pirelli's. Don't go with the Goodyear All season . Additionally, they were terrible in the snow. I live in Bend, Oregon and All-seasons were terrible in the snow. My new set up is the Scorpion Verde All-Season and then the Goodyear UltraGrip 8 Performance for the winter. Many people will suggest getting separate wheels for the winter tire that's another option as well, but I'm too cheap. Good luck with CT. Great state. I was born there and my family still resides there.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

My recommendation would be to get a set of 19s with hakapalika tires and you'll be set for whatever winter throws your way. The 19s will allow you to run a larger ratio tire and therefore offer more comfort, especially in snow and rougher driving conditions. Plus 19s are noticeably cheaper to purchase than 20s.

For less than $1500 - discounts, you'll have a dedicated set of awesome winter wheels.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you only want to use 1 tire. Another option is to get a 19" wheel size and go with the All-Weather Nokian WRG3. I had these on my last car and they were awesome. They are rated for winter but you can use them year round. They don't make them in 20" however.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mlt-Bend and raj99... love CT btw... thanks!
Old 11-16-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in the same boat at OP up here in New England.

Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season 20" RF
Conti CROSSCONTACT LX SPORT 20" non-run flat
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season 20" RF

All are the same price at my audi dealer, and my dealer has the same price as Tirerack, so...

The Goodyear Eagles were my OEM. And they seemed fine. I might as well stick with what I have? Thoughts?
Old 11-17-2018, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

I would get a winter tire/wheel set (19's) if I was living in NE, instead of running all seasons year round. Winter tires' compound does not lose grip in colder temps, unlike all seasons. Just rotate your OEM AS tires back on in the spring.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well here's the thing. I dont want to get a winter set. I just want to choose from the 3 available tires, and was hoping someone might have a preference between these 3.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Well here's the thing. I dont want to get a winter set. I just want to choose from the 3 available tires, and was hoping someone might have a preference between these 3.
Why not? They'll take up the same amount of room and you'll save yourself the hassle of changing tires on wheels, plus every time you change the tires out there's a chance of some damage to the tire (i.e. inner edge/seal) or wheel, which will cause premature failure. Having a dedicated set of wheels & tires, just makes life easier and your less confined to a handful of tire choices, since 19s have far more winter choices, and BETTER selection of winter tires.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Why not? They'll take up the same amount of room and you'll save yourself the hassle of changing tires on wheels
They don't take up any room when I only have one set of wheels and one set of tires. I think you're misunderstanding what i'm asking. I dont want a second set of tires, period. I've driven in New England winters for 25 years now always on all-seasons without issue. I'm not starting on a set of snow/winter tires now.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bkafrick
They don't take up any room when I only have one set of wheels and one set of tires. I think you're misunderstanding what i'm asking. I dont want a second set of tires, period. I've driven in New England winters for 25 years now always on all-seasons without issue. I'm not starting on a set of snow/winter tires now.
yup plenty of people would agree with you
the good years or pirelli all season will be fine

Quick Reply: Tire vote - Moved to Winter from Paradise