Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tires are chewed up

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Just an update. The dealer replaced my Goodyear RFT with Pirelli Scorpion ALL-SEASON RFT.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great - let us know if you see any noticeable differences in the ride comparing to Goodyear
Old 07-20-2018, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktran350

Here’s an update to my situation. I just got back from the Dealership and they said it’s a common issue with the Q7’s seen around the 12k mark. The issue is the alignment (weird because they said my alignment was good a few months ago). However, they will replace all 4 tires + alignment (they quoted me at $899) as a goodwill gesture.

I am am happy that they took care of me. However, I’m not sure if this is a fix/solution (alignment) to the tires being pitted or just a band aid fix.
Which dealer and where are thy locate? thx
Old 07-20-2018, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thought I'd just drop in my $0.02 since I made the semi-controversial move of changing out my 285/45R21s with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 all-season tires, size 295/40ZR21, since there were no all-season options up until the Pirelli's hit last fall after I already made my purchase. Just hit 6000 miles, they ride great, and look like new. Also, the change from 285->295 has been negligible on my speedometer (the arithmetic also says there should only be a marginal change, and that is the case), and I like that they look a bit beefier. That is all...
Old 07-20-2018, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by nly04
Which dealer and where are thy locate? thx
it was DCH Audi in Oxnard, CA
Old 11-30-2018, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2017 Audi tires feathering

I just noticed at 22K miles that my front tires are feathering badly. Rear tires are completely fine. No issues with alignment. Audi Tulsa service team told me this was a prevalent issue and that they spent the morning on the telephone with Audi trying to get the tires replaced. He clearly indicated to me that this was an Audi issue, but I was out of luck as they would not replace the tires after 10K miles. He also said that my front tires look like they have 6 or 7 years of wear. I went to a Goodyear store and had their manager check the tires. He said they are feathering badly and called Goodyear corporate. I overheard the Goodyear rep tell him that this was an Audi issue and they are fully aware of it. He told the Good year manager that I should contact Audi customer service.

I called Audi customer service and heard the same story - that they would not cover after 10K miles. The customer service rep said that he would contact the Audi Tulsa, with no guarantees, and see if he can get them to prorate the tires. Their response will determine whether I ever consider an Audi purchase in the future.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by davidmurlette
I just noticed at 22K miles that my front tires are feathering badly. Rear tires are completely fine. No issues with alignment. Audi Tulsa service team told me this was a prevalent issue and that they spent the morning on the telephone with Audi trying to get the tires replaced. He clearly indicated to me that this was an Audi issue, but I was out of luck as they would not replace the tires after 10K miles. He also said that my front tires look like they have 6 or 7 years of wear. I went to a Goodyear store and had their manager check the tires. He said they are feathering badly and called Goodyear corporate. I overheard the Goodyear rep tell him that this was an Audi issue and they are fully aware of it. He told the Good year manager that I should contact Audi customer service.

I called Audi customer service and heard the same story - that they would not cover after 10K miles. The customer service rep said that he would contact the Audi Tulsa, with no guarantees, and see if he can get them to prorate the tires. Their response will determine whether I ever consider an Audi purchase in the future.
Did you not rotate your tires? Based on your description of the tire wear you would have gotten 30+ k mi out of the tires if they had been rotated which is pretty good for a RFT on a heavy vehicle.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I will see you on I-275. White 2017 Premium Plus - not as fancy as the Prestige but we enjoy the warm weather package. We are in Treasure Island FL
Old 11-20-2019, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Our 2018 Q7 2.0 Premium Plus with 19" wheels and just under 9k miles now has this issue with the front tires, especially on the passenger side. Alignment was checked and fine. Dealer (Hoehn in Carlsbad, CA) pointed out the there's a TSB for this, but since we've had the car for ~18 months, we're out of luck and they would do nothing. Called Audi, same thing... basically that they know it's a problem, but since this car isn't driven a whole lot and it took longer than 12 months replacements are on our dime. Am I nuts for expecting more from a car at this price point? Any other ideas for follow-up?

Also, since it looks like replacement will be on our dime, what's tire do folks find works and wears well? And would you go ahead and replace all four tires or just the fronts? The rears are perfectly fine, so maybe rotate the feathered ones to the back and hope for the best? The car is basically a grocery getter so not necessarily concerned with long trips or snow-type conditions, just general safety.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 20” wheels on my 2017 Q7 and that limited my tire choices. Because there was more than a 4/32nds of an inch difference in tread depth between my front and a pair of new tires, I wound up replacing all four with the oem Goodyear run flat tires. I had not heard that there was a problem with Q7 s with 19 inch wheel but I would imagine that you might have a broader range of tires to choose from. I would move to another brand and get their road hazard warranty. If they go bad early, then let them replace the tire at their expense.