Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tires getting louder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by mattwhit
I think it depends on the wheel/tire size... I have the 21", Audi recommends 38 Front / 41 Rear... I keep them about 1 PSI over... Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S... ~2K on the ODO Still quiet, but still very new!
Recommended tire pressure depends on size, engine (weight/speed) and most importantly load. For those who are not aware, the door sticker in the USA only lists maximum load recommended tire pressure. That's the recommended tire pressure if you load the car up to the brim with passengers and cargo. For normal driving, the normal load recommended tire pressure is found in the owner's manual in a pretty detailed table and for everything but the SQ7 it's 32 all around regardless of tire size. If you run 1 psi on top of the maximum load recommended pressure and don't actually load up the car fully your tires are overinflated and most likely bulge in the center, cause more center wear and the contact patch is compromised.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I got off those Pirellis at about 20k miles. The road noise was killing me. And it's my wifes car. I don't drive it much.

I think the only other tire that fit was a Goodyear. I was skeptical, but they are super quite. A bit softer. Even my wife noticed the difference. Much happier on the skins.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why I keep mine at 32psi. 99% of my driving is 3 people (equivalent adult size) or less. The Pirellis are wearing well and the ride is comfortable. Likely when the time comes I will replace them with the same. The problems that people have had with wear and chunking on the Goodyear scares me. So far I have been happy with Pirellis on three different cars.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
That's why I keep mine at 32psi. 99% of my driving is 3 people (equivalent adult size) or less. The Pirellis are wearing well and the ride is comfortable. Likely when the time comes I will replace them with the same. The problems that people have had with wear and chunking on the Goodyear scares me. So far I have been happy with Pirellis on three different cars.
I am not sure that tire chunking is brand related. I'd rather think that it is something caused by vehicle alignment/suspension/steering/tire inflation problem. I know a few Pirelli-haters who will not switch to Pirellies even if they will come 1/2 priced - for that very reason you will not switch to Goodyear. I, myself, once dealt with premium Michelin Latitude Tour tires which started to chunk really bad at 8/32", while Goodyears were giving as smooth and perfect ride as one can wish for until they were at 4/32".
Old 09-17-2018, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
I am not sure that tire chunking is brand related. I'd rather think that it is something caused by vehicle alignment/suspension/steering/tire inflation problem. I know a few Pirelli-haters who will not switch to Pirellies even if they will come 1/2 priced - for that very reason you will not switch to Goodyear. I, myself, once dealt with premium Michelin Latitude Tour tires which started to chunk really bad at 8/32", while Goodyears were giving as smooth and perfect ride as one can wish for until they were at 4/32".
I agree about your thoughts on tire chunking but I will add to that is people who turn the wheel to full lock to turn in to a spot, garage or any tight area, that really chews up tires on the edges. I'm very careful not to turn at full lock when It can be avoided and I have no tire chunking at all, they edges still look like new.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

@superswiss, Thank you for the heads up... I had no idea... Will be dropping my pressures and probably enjoying a slightly smoother ride... I checked my manual and the values are bit different (although same for light load) Thanks again for sharing!!!
Old 09-17-2018, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by russ0054
At 15000 miles my Pirelli's are so loud I thought I had a wheel bearing going out. Seriously, they are louder than the tires on my Tacoma.....never seen tires get this loud this quick.
My P+ has Goodyear RF on 20" wheels. I started hearing whirring noise at 29K miles, also noticed some chunks on outer edges on two tires. Dealer said I am not eligible for the edge chunking TSB (need to be >= 8/32, mine are <= 7/32), but they still recommended me to switch to Pirelli as the TSB says.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I hit 22k on 20" pirelli's as I pulled into work today, I had them rotated by an independent shop last week and they said they still look great, but I felt they've gotten louder the last few months. I rotated them at ~6500, ~13k and ~21.5k I'm kinda planning on just getting new ones around 30k but we'll see.

I feel like I'm cursed with tire pressure as soon as I monkey with it, I'm constantly doing so, so I'm just hoping to avoid all that, i have no idea what they're at and I'm not inclined to even check it. Hear no evil, see no evil.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Brimstone
i have no idea what they're at and I'm not inclined to even check it. Hear no evil, see no evil.
That's a pretty bad attitude. Tire pressure needs to be checked regularly and adjusted and the TPMS needs to be reset. At least once a month, every other week is better, especially if you have temperature swings. Tires naturally lose air. The oxygen molecules escape through small pores in the compound. It's not unusual to lose about 1 psi per 4 weeks. On top of that, every 10F degrees in temperature change is another 1 psi loss or increase. TPMS is there as a last resort to alert you if the pressure is really low. We are talking 20-25% low as required by law, so by the time the TPMS goes off you've been driving around on underinflated tires for a while most likely. That affects your mpg, tire wear, handling and safety. Tires are the most underestimated equipment of a car. It's the only thing between the car and the road. Ever seen tires explode on the highway or the aftermath? That happens when folks drive on underinflated tires. Underinflated tires heat up much more than they should and eventually that can lead to tread separation and blow out. The other day I was driving back from LA and was about to pass this BMW. Just when I was coming up on his side, his rear left tire blew. Tread separated and started rolling towards me. I was able to accelerate to avoid being hit by it. The tread kept rolling behind me and eventually went off the road. Please don't be that guy.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-18-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never Never ignore your tire pressure, Tires and brakes are so important to your, your families and whomever is around you safety.

Quick Reply: Tires getting louder?