Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Took delivery of my SQ7 - initial thoughts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Took delivery of my SQ7 - initial thoughts!

Hello all -
I have been scouring the forums for anyone/someone to write up a review on their SQ7 delivery and no one has taken delivery or has written up their thoughts on the SQ7.
I received my SQ7 yesterday (ordered in January) - Daytona Grey / Arras Red with Prestige, Luxury Seating and 21" all season, non-run flat tires. No other options on the car.
I have owned A LOT of Q7's (started with 2008 Q7 4.2 and have had 7 since - old and new body style) and love them. I find Audi the most understated of the German SUV's and the most comfortable as well. It does not scream look at me and I like to be under the radar (less likely with the SQ7 but still not in your face IMHO). I most recently came from a Q8 which I was quite fond of - but its storage utility was a bit underwhelming. I knew i wouldn't keep the Q8 for a long time even though it drove wonderfully and had great presence on the road. You really felt the slightly wider stance when driving. More car than truck!
The engine has a great sound to it. It is not over the top loud but you know that the power is there and the throaty exhaust is lurking around but not obtrusive. As i have had the car only 24 hours now, I haven't driven it much (and have not beat on the accelerator yet) but it very much feels like a regular Q7 but with more power. Thats a good thing since I loved my Q7 and how it drove (i drive about 40,000 miles a year).
Seats are typical Audi incredible - especially with the Luxury Seating Package. I am not crazy about the quilted leather (nor is my wife!) but I am sure I will get used to it.
The electronics are just like my Q8 so I am very used to the tactile touch of both electronic consoles.
Fit and finish look terrific - but admittedly, I am still in the honeymoon phase with this car so I haven't noticed any issues (and hope I don't)
Red Leather is super sharp - really blends well with the Daytona Grey.
If you're on the fence, don't hesitate. A prestige Q7 optioned the same way is about 13 k cheaper MSRP so yes there is a significant price delta between the two, but the increased power and uniqueness of this car won my wallet over.
Hope this helps anyone curious about the new SQ7 - I am very happy I took the plunge - now I just pray i get over the quilted seat feeling on my legs and back. Its not bad - its just different - and sitting in the same style seats for 10+ years, its a bit of an adjustment.
Stay well and safe everyone - hope this finds everyone and their family sane and healthy.

The following users liked this post:
audi40 (07-10-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats. Love the S model's digital cockpit screen. Surprised they didn't include a flat bottom steering wheel.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks great! Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts. Looking forward to ours - which is set to arrive by the end of the month.

Also, I dig the wheels. First time I've seen those SQ7 stockers in real world pics apart from the rendered configurator images on Audi's site. So far, I've only seen SQ7 with the option wheels that come packaged with black optics.

Enjoy!
Old 07-09-2020, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Looks great. My SQ5 has the same colour combo and I think it’s fantastic.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by quattro_rails
Congrats. Love the S model's digital cockpit screen. Surprised they didn't include a flat bottom steering wheel.
Audi refuses make heated flat bottom wheels.. I think all the North American SQ7's are getting heated wheels
Old 07-09-2020, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks awesome! If I didn't have an RS6 coming I would have ordered an SQ7 to replace my 2018 Q7 which I love.

Man, what is up with the flat bottom steering wheel drama on every Audi forum? Dudes think 5000lb SUV is an open wheel race car.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by crumbird
Man, what is up with the flat bottom steering wheel drama on every Audi forum? Dudes think 5000lb SUV is an open wheel race car.
Thunder thighs...lol
Old 07-09-2020, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

kongrats!! Happy they started getting in people's hands.
while enjoying it, please update us on driving dinamics,etc & all.
like how's the bigboi turbo? Us commoners could get mo po via APR tune, though not matching SQ7S.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 07-10-2020, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I saw the Daytona Grey color on 2020 Q8 and I love it. Since you owned several Q7's in the past, please update us on your driving experience of your new SQ& compared to your last Q7 owned.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by crumbird
Agree! I am also in the camp that wonders what the heck is the big deal about a flat-bottom steering wheel?! I don't see any real performance benefit to it other than pure esthetics. I see if the driver was a heavy set individual, then the flat bottom might be be more accomodating perhaps? Me, I like just a plain round wheel, if anything preferably smaller diameter, but I understand that small diameter wouldn't wheels are more suited towards sports cars than family transportation like the SQ7. But round is good. I don't even like flat bottom wheels on sports cars tbh.
The following users liked this post:
Dave_ (07-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Took delivery of my SQ7 - initial thoughts!