Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Trailer Harness and Ball Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Harness and Ball Question

We bought a boat. I know I need a trailer harness. In addition, I need a 2" ball.

Boat plus trailer is approx. 5500 lbs. Tongue weight will be approx 550. Have adaptive air suspension.

Can I buy just any ball? Any suggestions for a good one?

Should I just buy this which looks like it was for the last generation?

Amazon.com: Genuine Audi 4L0092115U Trailer Hitch Ball Mount: Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine Audi 4L0092115U Trailer Hitch Ball Mount: Automotive

I am a newbie at this and appreciate any help. Ideally, I want the most flexible set up even if it costs a little more.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats on the new boat!

From reading the forums, your new Q7 will not come with a Round RV-7 connector. The wiring harness has been installed, but you will need to install the connector. You can either purchase the
 Audi OEM part Audi OEM part
or the
Pollak part Pollak part
. Both are the same part, but some may be more comfortable buying from their dealer.

Regarding the ball mount, the most important thing to do is buy a mount that has the drop or rise that will allow the trailer sit as close as possible to level. This will allow for your trailer brakes to work most effectively.

To do this, park your trailer on level ground and put a level on the trailer frame. Once the frame is level to the ground, measure the distance from the ground to the trailer tongue. Then, find a ball mount that puts the ball at approximately the same level.

You mentioned flexibility. If that is the case, they make
adjustable ball mounts adjustable ball mounts
. This allows for you to tow multiple trailers at different heights and ball sizes.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sodar
Congrats on the new boat!

From reading the forums, your new Q7 will not come with a Round RV-7 connector. The wiring harness has been installed, but you will need to install the connector. You can either purchase the Audi OEM part or the Pollak part. Both are the same part, but some may be more comfortable buying from their dealer.

Regarding the ball mount, the most important thing to do is buy a mount that has the drop or rise that will allow the trailer sit as close as possible to level. This will allow for your trailer brakes to work most effectively.

To do this, park your trailer on level ground and put a level on the trailer frame. Once the frame is level to the ground, measure the distance from the ground to the trailer tongue. Then, find a ball mount that puts the ball at approximately the same level.

You mentioned flexibility. If that is the case, they make adjustable ball mounts. This allows for you to tow multiple trailers at different heights and ball sizes.
Thank you for the information. I appreciate your input.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

fwiw, a recent update to the 4M order guide has added option code SPC (seven-pin connector socket) for those who don't want to bother with acquiring and installing the 7-pin socket on their own.

However, the SPC option is $125, which is a considerable mark-up since the 7-pin socket can be had for around $20-50 from various online retailers and is a very easy DIY install.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello!

Congrats on the new boat. That is pretty awesome. My name is Jeremy from audionlineparts.com I can have this part (100% OEM) shipped to your door step for 135. (INCLUDING shipping) to anywhere in the US. Let me know if you would like to set something up. Electronics are fussy sometimes, so I advise most of the time to stay OEM with that. Let me know if i can help you out!

Thank you
Old 04-14-2016, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

These are expensive, but so are Q7s.

Last edited by uberwgn; 04-15-2016 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't see anything in the owner's manual about it, but check the receiver for any stickers that limit the distance the ball is allowed to be from the end of the receiver. On my 2012 Q7, there was a limit, something like 6 inches. This reduced the number of ball mounts that would (legally) work.