Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Underwhelmed by LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon129
Theres a website sell the matrix headlight retrofit kit for $7999 that's crazy
Better off waiting for the model update than spending that sort of money! All these LED lights, inc. BMW and Mercedes, are made by HELLA.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.xenonpro.com/led-vs-xeno...ich-are-better
Old 03-05-2019, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hmmm, these guys sell a HID conversion for my ML....Anyone use them before and know if this works?
Old 03-05-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon129
Theres a website sell the matrix headlight retrofit kit for $7999 that's crazy
Kufatec set is like 4k.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:58 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

These two pics pretty well represent my experience when I drive the Q7 with LED's and then the Allroad with the Xenon's. Even the high beams on the Xenons are basically useless, they do nothing.. My middle son's 8 yr old Acura's Xenon's are so much better it's not even close.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JT4
These two pics pretty well represent my experience when I drive the Q7 with LED's and then the Allroad with the Xenon's. Even the high beams on the Xenons are basically useless, they do nothing.. My middle son's 8 yr old Acura's Xenon's are so much better it's not even close.
Tried giving it some time so that maybe I get used to the LED lights... It's been a few months now and I still feel the LED headlights are not as bright as the HIDs I had. I see the picture you attached and my experience/perception is the direct opposite. The top picture looks more like my HID headlights while the bottom looks more like the LEDs on the Q7.

Any new/newer Q7 4M owners have the same experience as me, where the Q7 LED headlights just aren't bright enough?
Old 08-01-2019, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gscrazy
Any new/newer Q7 4M owners have the same experience as me, where the Q7 LED headlights just aren't bright enough?
All I can say is that my 2019 Q7 LED are better than the LED on my Honda Ridgeline (my only available comparison) and the Ridgeline RTL-E has the some of the best headlights of any pickup according to IIHS. But then pretty much all of the other pickups were rated very poorly, headlight-wise, so maybe that is not a great comparison. I do know that the matrix LED on the 2020 are generally accepted as better but the 2019 are more than plenty good enough for me. I guess it is all about what you are used to (or expect) but I have no problem with the ones on my Prestige.

What I think really sucked, light-wise, on the '19 Q7 were not the headlights, but the backup lights (which are just standard bulbs on all trims). Really bad! Maybe they only use reverse in the daytime in Germany! The good news is that I got the Auto-LED replacements for about $50 and they are now acceptable.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

These pictures are a fantastic example of how to use imagery to mislead. Even if these two picture are of the same stretch of road (and they might NOT be), they were taken at different times. In the upper picture it has snowed since the lower picture was taken. Also,the road has been plowed and the build up of snow along the edges is reflecting light at a MUCH higher rate than in the lower picture. Thus, the "LED: light appear to be much brighter and to be providing "better" coverage than the HID lights. In other words, this is an apples to oranges comparison and was designed to mislead!

That being said, overall I like the LED headlights in my three Audis; however, on low beam I sometimes question their overall coverage. But on high beam they "carry" a long ways.
The following 4 users liked this post by AUDIQSS:
Astropup (08-02-2019), BigKutta (08-05-2019), ExhaustTips (09-28-2020), tigerhonaker (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
These pictures are a fantastic example of how to use imagery to mislead.
Yup, reminds me of those old cosmetic "before" and "after" ads where the exposures were clearly different. Not saying it was deliberate in this case, but just that is is not an ideal comparison. The only way to do that would be the same stretch of road on the same night and the same conditions with the camera set to manual exposure so the exposures were identical.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gscrazy
Tried giving it some time so that maybe I get used to the LED lights... It's been a few months now and I still feel the LED headlights are not as bright as the HIDs I had. I see the picture you attached and my experience/perception is the direct opposite. The top picture looks more like my HID headlights while the bottom looks more like the LEDs on the Q7.

Hid are better depending on the projector. GM and Cadillac are absolute garbage and the q7 is superior to those. Ford is meh. Porsche, lexus, most acuras have great hid projectors. Acuras leds are pretty good too. Leds will surpass in the near future.

Quick Reply: Underwhelmed by LED headlights