Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Upgrading Maps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Maps?

My used Audi Q7 came with 2017/2018 mapping. I do not currently have a connect account since it's a long process to get a car id from germany and such.

When logging into the Audi website even without connect, it allows you to download the 2018 map which is the successor of the 2017/2018 version. Was able to download and install. However to get the newer 2018/2019 it doesn't have a download option and instead says contact dealer to purchase.

So here it my question(s).

Avoiding having to deal with a dealer and doing myself is of course ideal. If and when I get connect setup will the 2018/2019 be available as a self download from the website or does it still require getting from dealer? Do I just need the connect account setup, or do I have to actually signup for connect and pay the massive fee to get the latest nav?

Or is it cheaper to just request the latest nav update from the dealer?

Hoping to find the easiest (aka self install and cheapest ideally free or lowest amount).
Old 04-11-2019, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Actually this thread seems to provide some additional insight: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...2969579/page2/

One being that actually 2018/2019 which I can't seem to download from the site (or in car) is not even the latest. That there is a 2019 as well that supposedly should be available in car to download but isn't showing and as others have noted not showing up on the website login. Sounds like the 2019 should be available OTA and doesn't require connect account (first 5 free?) don't think the previous owner downloaded 5 updates but possible?).

To further complicate, it sounds like 2019/2020 is available in a couple months. So perhahps I get a connect account and hope that 2019 appears, update, and then when 2019/2020 appears will be able to update as part of my connect account. Versus paying dealer for 2019 now, and then having to pay again in a couple months which would probably end up costing in total as much as connect, but without the benefit of getting the other features of connect.

If anyone has any additional further insight would be most appreciated. I know I can reach out to Corporate but figured I'd check here first.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You can download a few 'regions' (~3 maybe i forget) over the air for free twice a year (usually around Jan/July). (you do not need an audi connect account for this) You can download the map to SD card from the website anytime, I think that one only gets updated once a year though.

Using google or waze (via car play/android auto) will in most cases give you better maps and traffic data (and time estimates) . (I'd guess apple maps are worse). This may all be be subjective to where you live though. I like the look and feel of the integrated maps better, but I use the free alternatives with better data.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brimstone
You can download a few 'regions' (~3 maybe i forget) over the air for free twice a year (usually around Jan/July). (you do not need an audi connect account for this) You can download the map to SD card from the website anytime, I think that one only gets updated once a year though.

Using google or waze (via car play/android auto) will in most cases give you better maps and traffic data (and time estimates) . (I'd guess apple maps are worse). This may all be be subjective to where you live though. I like the look and feel of the integrated maps better, but I use the free alternatives with better data.
Yes, though my issue was, a week or so ago, when trying to download the latest in car it showed it as "2018". I was able to download that but it didn't show the "2018/2019" which should be available nor did it show 2019 which is the latest that should be available.And yes was only trying to download one region. If the number of free over the air updates was used up it wouldn't have let me download the "2018" so not sure why it didn't show the newer ones, unless infact you do need a connect account to see those newer versions?

And yes, I use CarPlay daily, with Apple Maps (when I want to have volume off and get taps on my apple watch when I need to turn), and use Waze when going to places where I want to be notified about where cops/speed traps are.) But still want latest native maps for times when having the heads up display navigation is most helpful and when using the active cruise control that adapts to turns when the native navigation is being used. Hopefully eventually Apple will allow CarPlay to integrate fully with headsup and car's native systems so won't have to ever worry about native maps again.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisCraft
And yes, I use CarPlay daily, with Apple Maps (when I want to have volume off and get taps on my apple watch when I need to turn), and use Waze when going to places where I want to be notified about where cops/speed traps are.) But still want latest native maps for times when having the heads up display navigation is most helpful and when using the active cruise control that adapts to turns when the native navigation is being used. Hopefully eventually Apple will allow CarPlay to integrate fully with headsup and car's native systems so won't have to ever worry about native maps again.
I doubt that will ever happen, perhaps at some point in the future there may be some phone/car nav standard (not holding my breath) but even if so I doubt it would ever affect this gen Q, Audi seems very software update averse.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brimstone
I doubt that will ever happen, perhaps at some point in the future there may be some phone/car nav standard (not holding my breath) but even if so I doubt it would ever affect this gen Q, Audi seems very software update averse.
I'm quite confident it will eventually since it's a natural evolution, but yes to clarify it 100% won't work with any existing hardware. Apple first will have to announce support for headups integration. The earliest that would occur is this June at their developer's conference. But even when Apple supports it, would take a few years at least for it appear in new cars. Wireless CarPlay is another great feature Apple announced but so far that's only available on select cars, such as BMW, and I believe 2020 Volvo XC90, but also is something that requires new hardware and other companies like Tesla, almost no one else will provide hardware upgrades to existing cars.