Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Vehicle Settings, Suggestions, & Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Vehicle Settings, Suggestions, & Tips

Picked up a 2022 Q7 Prestige the other day and there’s a ton I need to figure out. I’d love to know if any of you have any recommended vehicle settings, suggestions, or tips on vehicle operation. I have a ton of fiddling around to do so I’m curious what you more experienced owners have figured out. What do you wish you knew on day one?

Recommended MMI settings/configuration?
Whats the best virtual cockpit screen?
Good shortcuts or favorites to add?
Drive modes?
B&O audio settings?
Best interior ambient lighting color combos?
Any hidden menus or options you might not be able to find easily?
Can I get the rear view camera to automatically disable once I shift out of R or do I have to X out?
Good accessories to buy?
CarPlay or MMI?

Obviously, this is a non-exhaustive list and these are intensely personal preferences but I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm sure you'll get opinions on this but I spent hours in the garage over the years playing and adjusting. Even with that, the wife will usually comment- "why did you mess with the _____" in my car"?
The following users liked this post:
bmwdrew (02-07-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by keg97
I'm sure you'll get opinions on this but I spent hours in the garage over the years playing and adjusting. Even with that, the wife will usually comment- "why did you mess with the _____" in my car"?
I am definitely that type of person, so I guess I’m looking for some tips to try to shave off a few of those hours!

I already got yelled at for making all the interior lighting red. She “felt like she was driving in hell.”
keg97 (02-05-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear view camera automatically disappears when you drive so that doesnt bother me. For B&O system I am using current setting: Treble +2, Bass +3, Subwoofer +3 with 3D high. Blue and purple is my favorite color combo for ambient lights. Lastly, I prefer to drive in Auto mode because throttle response is not as slow as in comfort and not agressive as in dynamic. Also I prefer to use bluetooth over MMI because it has better sound quality than carplay.

willbm3 (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Wouldn't those be saved to the individual user settings? So it wouldn't affect her settings, unless you were playing while on her user profile?
Old 02-04-2022, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a few things, in my opinion, that enhance my experience. I drive a 2020 A4 Premium Plus here, so my options and settings are likely a tad different.

Virtual Cockpit Screen - Dynamic - I love the look of it, especially when you shut off the car and it fades out on the dash. I always have the temperature gauge displayed so that I know when the engine is at optimal temperature.

Drive modes - I typically keep mine in Auto. The system adapts to your driving in this mode and it tends to be a nice middle ground.

B&O - this one is tricky.. I am still experimenting. A lot of things I have seen and read say that disabling 3D sound and Surround actually improves the sound.. right now I have it as
Treble 0
Bass +2
Sub +3
Focus ALL
Balance Center
Surround 0
3D LOW
Speed Volume MIN

Also... I LOVE the folding mirror setting. Vehicle > Settings & Service > Central Locking > Fold mirrors - however, always a good idea to disable this feature when there is snow/ice anticipated

My backup cam automatically goes away once I start driving, but if you are simply shifting to Park, you have to manually X out

Again, I drive a different car than you, but these are just some things I love in mine!
willbm3 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 2DaLab
Wouldn't those be saved to the individual user settings? So it wouldn't affect her settings, unless you were playing while on her user profile?
Have not done that! I suppose that's linking my settings to my own keyfob and leaving hers on her key fob?
Old 02-05-2022, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Have not done that! I suppose that's linking my settings to my own keyfob and leaving hers on her key fob?
You set up the users in the MMI in the car. My user setting is connected to my "myAudi" account, since I'm the key user. We set my wife up as just a Local User in my car. It remembers our seat settings, mirrors, and probably drive mode, radio stations and other things I don't notice.

The key fobs (if I understand correctly) remember which user last drove the car with that fob. So when my wife wants to use my car, I have her grab the extra key fob (not my daily-use one), so the car will automatically pull up her user settings in the MMI, since she's usually the last one to use that fob. But if she uses "my" fob, when she gets in the car, the MMI starts up and says "that you, Craig?" she clicks the option to change user and selects her name to use all of her settings. Main point is to set up each driver in the MMI.

(Our Infinitis were tied directly to the key fob. Grab hers, it pulls up her settings, radio stations, etc. Grab the other one, it has my settings. I think the Audi system offers a little more flexibility.)

Edit: There's also a "guest user" section, I'm assuming if someone else borrows the car. Have them select that so they don't change one of the other saved driver settings.

Last edited by 2DaLab; 02-05-2022 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2DaLab
Edit: There's also a "guest user" section, I'm assuming if someone else borrows the car. Have them select that so they don't change one of the other saved driver settings.
Yep, the guest setting is so that another user doesn’t change all of the settings.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When we got our car, they had a tech guy come out and sit with us for 30 minutes going over all the settings. The biggest takeaways from it...
Being able to disable the lane assist thing quickly (side end button on the left where the turn signals are)
Being able to disable the engine shut off/start whenever you come to a stop.
Being able to setting how high the trunk goes up

Part of the fun of a new car is trying to figure out the rest on my own.