Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Went shopping for the new Q7 and considered buying a Cayenne.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SallyPat
Funny, I went into the Audi & Porsche dealers while my BMW was in service next door.

The Audi dealer had the new Q7 I loved the upgraded interior but did not like the suspension / ride on the test drive. Too soft and disconnected. It was the standard non air suspension model.

Then I went to the Porsche dealer and hated the base Cayenne - gutless with the naturally aspirated engine. The Turbo was much better but still felt like a SUV.
The Macan felt more like a CUV and handled much more like a 911!
Very grippy, connected drive and much better at handling curves...

Now thinking of getting that new Macan 2.0L 4 cylinder coming out in 3 months...
Yes, I think this why some of our opinions differ. Some people are looking to buy a Crossover/SUV but still want the handling/driving dynamics of a 911 despite being at the expense of ride compliance and comfort. I'm not one of those. I quite like Q7's plush compliant ride, and it's one of the things I like best about this latest version. I like it so much that I even opted for the even softer and more-disconnected-feeling ride of the air suspension on my order. If I wanted something that rides, drives, and handles like a 911, I'd just buy a 911. (which I actually did; bought an '11 GT3 6 years ago, still have it and love it)

But I do get the purpose of the Macan. It's a do-it-all kind of car, true sport and utility in one car, which is especially ideal for those who just want one car to do everything with. If I was still in my 20's with no kids and lived in an area with well-maintained roads, I'd probably be driving a Macan myself. Great car.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larryV
Agreed. The Macan is based on the current Q5's MLB platform that first came out in 2007 via the A5. So it's an "old" platform that was merely revamped by Porsche by adding some of their suspension wizardry and dropped their own engines in there to make it feel both sportier and handle better than a Q5, which is what they're excellent at doing. I've driven quite a few Macans and Cayennes, and personally don't believe that the Macan chassis is superior at all, especially not when compared to the Cayenne GTS and Turbo versions. The Macan is certainly lighter with a shorter wheelbase so it will naturally have the expected advantages AND disadvantages when compared to the heavier and longer wheelbase of the Cayenne/Touareg platform.

The Q7 is certainly leading the way along with the new A4 and the Bentley Bentayga as the first products to use the newest MLB Evo platform, which eventually will also underpin the next-gen A8 and eventually many other VAG products including the next-gen Cayenne and next-gen Q5 due next year or so.

So in a way, we really are "previewing" the future of many VAG cars through the 4M Q7's MLB Evo platform.

Or some might say, the new Q7 is like buying a "poor man's Bentley Bentayga" lol (that actually looks way better than the Bentayga)
Sorry wasnt trying to diss your Macan by the way, it's a beautiful piece of machinery.

I just think Porsche has sold their soul for profit. When we had the Q5 and I had the Panamera Turbo, we had the same buttons and stalks on the steering wheel in both cars, but they do different things in each car, used to drive me crazy. Apparently same buttons are used in Bentleys and Lamborghinis even. SO I think sometimes it is hard to tell in which brand you are sitting when you are in a hurry. They all have the same 4.0T or 3.0D now, and they all seem to be manufactured by Audi!!! SO personally in a situation of looking for a 3.0 diesel SUV, I personally would NEVER buy a Porsche diesel vs Audi. Why pay more? Also when you had a Porsche Turbo, it used to mean you had the meanest machine on the block. Now a Macan Turbo is beaten by a Mercedes A-class, albeit an "AMG" one. ONLY reason I actually might go for Porsche is their warranty. You can get it for 10y and up to 200000km vs only 5y in the Audi. Actually the only reason I bought a Panamera turbo, not the RS6 a few years ago. Easier to resell. But respect to Audi for making technology that even Porsche is ready to adopt!!! I honestly believe after driving all the German top brands, the Q7 is the most modern (also techwise), best handling and most reasonable SUV on the market today (Ok the Cayenne is spotrier, but at the epense of comfort). If only it wasnt so hard to make to look sporty. Well, atleast IMO the forementioned Bentayga is still harder to get to look sporty. I am hoping the s-line sport air suspension will be even better than the standard chassis I test drove. Well,the etron batteries might handicap it a little...

Last edited by kip1; 04-26-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me shopping the high end SUV market has been perplexing.

I love Audi and waited for the new Q7 for 1.5 years, but just cannot pull the trigger based on the exterior look, poor color choices (to me) and lack of s-line.

Volvo performance and look doesn't do it for me.

Range Rover diesel is a sweet ride, but the electronics are antiquated.

I avoided the Cayenne due to the upcoming refresh and smaller cargo area. But the Cayenne is a blast to drive, priced only about 10% higher that the Q7 after incentives, se hybrid set-up is cool (has the Q7 engine as part of it actually), and comes with leather dash and such.

I'm sure I'll get kicked in the teeth on depreciation, but unless the new LR5 is killer I will probably get the Porsche.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:23 PM
mbr
AudiWorld Member

Love my Macan Turbo, much more fun to drive than my wife's new Q7, but the two cars serve a different purpose. She really wanted a Cayenne but need the third row and more cargo space. The Macan may be built on the Q5 platform but is a totally different drive and different car with very few shared components (pedal set, rear brake rotors). I compared SQ5 and Macan turbo and the Macan won me over without any doubt. I want sporty, not soft ride. My Macan has 21" wheels and steel springs and truely defies the expected laws of physics for a 4400lb cuv! Sure, I'd rather drive a 911, but due to weekend activities, I needed more ground clearance & "utility" so the Macan made sense to replace my prior M3. Just as fast and much more practical!

Last edited by mbr; 04-26-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SallyPat
The Audi dealer had the new Q7 I loved the upgraded interior but did not like the suspension / ride on the test drive. Too soft and disconnected. It was the standard non air suspension model.
Are you sure? I'm asking, because air suspension is noticeably softer for all settings and "disconnected" comparing to standard springs. Plus air suspension has pronounced body roll.

Macan and Cayenne are awesome cars. To all points mentioned to other posters, I'd add one more 1c. Traveling around the world and here in US, I noticed one thing... Porsche SUV's became cars of choice for women, while Audi's are more gender neutral. My wife hated SQ5 and Macan because of harsh ride. That's why we got Q7 eventually. :P I strongly disagree that Macan has sportier ride than SQ5. They feel pretty much the same. Especially when you drive them one after another. Two reasons why I'd consider Macan over SQ5 (if money factor is not important): Porsche's design is more aggressive (and less practical though, smaller cargo area) and 50 extra HP you can get from it. Otherwise, both cars are pretty similar.

Last edited by alex904; 04-27-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alex904
Are you sure? I'm asking, because air suspension is noticeably softer for all settings and "disconnected" comparing to standard springs. Plus air suspension has pronounced body roll.

Macan and Cayenne are awesome cars. To all points mentioned to other posters, I'd add one more 1c. Traveling around the world and here in US, I noticed one thing... Porsche SUV's became cars of choice for women. My wife hated SQ5 by some reason though. That's why we got Q7 eventually. :P I strongly disagree that Macan has sportier ride than SQ5. They feel pretty much the same. Especially when you drive them one after another. Two reasons why I'd consider Macan over SQ5 (if money factor is not important): Porsche's design is more aggressive (and less practical though, smaller cargo area) and 50 extra HP you can get from it. Otherwise, both cars are pretty similar.
After all these comments, I am happy I took the s sport chassis, which I originally didnt want, because this is a family vehicle.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I guess for some, my self included, who want the best of both worlds, a sporty ride when needed and a family roadtrip cruiser it really makes sense to wait for the SQ7.
I know I might have to wait maybe a year but after driving the Q7 I felt something was missing from the driving pleasure department. This was definitely confirmed once I jumped into my Macan as I left the dealer. I was just a bit disappointed.
The only other car that I am interested in is the Range Rover with the supercharged V8 but that is out of my price range but if I get the extra $40k from somewhere I would definitely go for it.
As for which car is better, Audi or Porsche. I really think both are great as it really depends on personal preference. For example, I enjoyed driving the V6 Panamera 4s more than the Audi S8 because in the Panamera I felt really connected to the car and the road and in sport mode you would think you are driving a sports coupe (the dual clutch transmission really makes driving more enjoyable, as in the Macan). Whereas the S8 had great acceleration but it felt disconnected from the road and felt heavy on fast turns. I just wish that the upcoming new Panamera can fit 5 and not 4 people.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting how nobody likes the 3.6L VR6 in the Cayenne--since when did 300HP in anything become "a bad thing"? LOL
Old 04-27-2016, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jjojo2004
Interesting how nobody likes the 3.6L VR6 in the Cayenne--since when did 300HP in anything become "a bad thing"? LOL
When it's trying to push around 5500 lb.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cukoodukoo
I would take those buttons any day than the stupid touch screen controls.Acura fans complained about buttons in the previous MDX which was a good vehicle other wise .Then Acura gave them a POS infotainment system with touch controls which is a pain to tolerate even during a test drive.The thing with touch screen controls is that it has to be done very very well to be acceptable and safe during driving.Its one reason I am staying away from XC90 apart from its engine.Its a beautifully done center stack but you have to take your eyes off the road for quite some time to get what you want while you are driving. If you don't need the 3rd row seat/cargo space the Q 7 provides,there are better alternatives.Cayenne is a better built vehicle and the base cayenne isn't any good.Get a GTS .We seriously considered the diesel but we need more cargo space.
Thank you! Finally someone else who is not all in love with touch screens! I don't get the fascination with those. In my opinion they are a lot more distraction and need a lot more hand-eye coordination. Audi's system is another reason why I'm sticking with the brand. I don't even have to look to perform many of the operations, since I keep my right hand on the shifter all the time (I know it's not the safest) and the buttons are within reach. Not to mention the smudges on touch screens, which absolutely drive me nuts.

Quick Reply: Went shopping for the new Q7 and considered buying a Cayenne.