Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

What causes wipers to do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Hayde, that looks like major road film on your windshield. I've had some success using a glass polish to really get the glass clean.
Thanks, what kind of glass polish? I heard people using wax or car polish, but that's to retain the clarity once everything is off the glass. My main problem is getting whatever is on the glass so I can make sure I don't seal whatever is on the windshield under the wax/polish.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=hayde_bre;25292918]This was recommended in the past but someone else said not to do it unless I tried everything else because it might cause the wipers to "hop" or skip.

I totally disagree! Clay Bar only removers contamination from road grime, diesel...etc.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Hayde, I bought Griot's Garage Fine Glass polish. Am getting very good results with it and your basic random orbit polisher. I start off with what I believe is a "clean" windshield and 10 minutes later my white polishing pad is black. There doesn't seem to be any other method of liberating all that filth we encounter once it bonds to the glass. The restored clarity is nothing short of wonderful.

Make sure you're not using one of those "dirt blocking" windshield washer fluids.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...SABEgI24_D_BwE
Old 03-22-2019, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Hayde, I bought Griot's Garage Fine Glass polish. Am getting very good results with it and your basic random orbit polisher. I start off with what I believe is a "clean" windshield and 10 minutes later my white polishing pad is black. There doesn't seem to be any other method of liberating all that filth we encounter once it bonds to the glass. The restored clarity is nothing short of wonderful.

Make sure you're not using one of those "dirt blocking" windshield washer fluids.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...SABEgI24_D_BwE
That's what I have used for years. I apply with a buffer.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You can use Bon Ami to clean glass-it won’t scratch. Comet etc. have harder abrasives that will scratch.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mothers makes a water spot remover which I use on windscreens and it removes all the bad stuff including mineral build up. After an application (twice a year) wipers glide beautifully.