Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Wires in 2017 Q7 Trunk, underneath carpeted floor lid, near subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JBaumgart
Could the unused wires possibly be related to the optional Bang & Olefsen sound system which was pre-wired but not utilized?
got a 2018 q7 loaner while my car was in for the fuel rail recall, checked the loaner, same wires and they are just tucked in...So I can confirm they are not really used for anything...
Old 03-01-2019, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Might be for delivery. I know BMW had a set of wires in the trunk that disabled power to save the battery while in transit. Maybe the same deal here?
Old 05-29-2020, 04:13 PM
KDE
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mya6tdi

Anyone know what these loose wires are? I have a '17 Q7 Prestige which recently had the rear upper bumper replaced and painted by an independent repair / body shop. To do so, I they expect that they had to take the whole two piece bumper assembly apart and off the vehicle, replace / repaint and reinstall. I was initially going to have the work done by my local Audi dealer in Dayton, OH (US), but found out that they are not Audi "certified."

I initially thought that the wires were the automatic trunk opener sensors which detect when the foot is swung underneath the bumper, that perhaps the shop left off, but I've tried that function and it works. Upon sending the picture to the body shop, they aren't sure. They contacted the local Audi dealer, and the lead tech said that they are humidity sensors that are only used when the vehicle is transported or waiting at the dock.

Does that make sense? Suppose it could. The two wires are wrapped with a foil tape at the end, and don't appear to have any connectors on them.
Ever find out what these wires were?
Old 03-16-2022, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what are these loose wires int he mack of the 4M Q7!?

same question! I'm installing a hitch retrofit, and these just popped out but no clue where to put them back or what they do. My best guess too is that they are antenna for the kick to open or the kessy system, but not sure either.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

My guess is they are used for transit from the factory. Many cars have a "special plug" that kills power during shipment.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default These are not power-carrying wires

Originally Posted by Wires
My guess is they are used for transit from the factory. Many cars have a "special plug" that kills power during shipment.
If you see/touch these in person, they are almost certainly not power wires. it is basically a plastic core with a very fine single strand spiral-wound around the outside, and the ends "capped" with a foil/insulator sandwich - basically a capacitor. So these are very specialized antenna/sensors for something! I don't even know how to search for them in the service manual because they are so weird.

They are taped to the bottom of the rear bulkhead where it meets the floor.

The other think weird is that the spiral wire does not appear to be insulated, which makes me question if they are even electrical, or just holding the core together - but I'm still going with RF or capacitive sensors as my best guess.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

This has been discussed elsewhere. The official explanation is that they’re used in production but have no function on the final vehicle. Just tuck them away.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Corgiman
This has been discussed elsewhere. The official explanation is that they’re used in production but have no function on the final vehicle. Just tuck them away.
"official" in the sense that Audi themselves said it?
Old 03-16-2022, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AbnormallyAspirated
"official" in the sense that Audi themselves said it?
That’s my understanding.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Corgiman
That’s my understanding.
Very skeptical of that explanation. But I do have one other idea, inspired by the fact that is seems to follow the body and be un-insulated - maybe some form of galvanic protection for the aluminum body. so here are my armchair probabilities:

a) Antenna: 15%
b) Capacitive sensor 15%
c) Galvanic protection 15%
d) Something used at the factory or in shipping and just left there 5%
e) Something Else 50%

I'm sure someone knows the real answer. if anyone actually has audi's answer somewhere, I'd love to see it.

Quick Reply: Wires in 2017 Q7 Trunk, underneath carpeted floor lid, near subwoofer