83 TQC Value

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 TQC Value

New to the board and going to look at an 83 turbo quattro coupe. It has been in the owners family since 1987 (when his father purchased it) and has documented records of all work done through an audi dealership since. The car was handed down to this individual when he went to college and now eight years later, he is looking to sell. Recent work: adjusted tranny links due to notchy shifting, bomb leak fixed w/new OEM bomb, all guages, lights, and windows work; recent emmissions-passed, new OEM roters & pads, and replaced trunk shocks. The description is dark brown leather interior (minimal wear on bolsters on drivers seat & 3 vert. cracks in dash-interior in excellent shape otherwise), Mars Red - one small dent behind rear wheel on drivers side rear qtr./easy fix, 98k miles.
Any help on a good price would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Todd
84 4ksq
95.5 S6 Avant 26psi...missed
Old 03-11-2004, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

what are they asking for it?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:59 AM

Default Re: what are they asking for it?

$5k
Thanks
Old 03-11-2004, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That sounds like a good starting point for bargaining...

Take the car for a drive, see how it runs. Listen for any thumping coming from front or rear, especially on take off and when shifting gears. When you go to see it, tell the guy you want the motor to be cold. At least overnight since it was last started. Whe you start it, notice if it starts well. Most of them don't fire right up like a Honda anyway, but you'll know when its having a tough time. Listen for exahust manifold leaks, look at the cloud of exhaust (if any).
Drive it fairly vigorously,(how does the suspension feel?,e-brake work?) then shut it off. Chat with the owner for about 20 minutes, then try to start it up again. Notice how it starts when its hot. Look for any oil leaks around the bomb and brake master cylinder.
If you're happy with the way its presented, make him an offer. Fun cars.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Re: That sounds like a good starting point for bargaining...

Thanks for the great advice. RE: thumping; that's something I hear consistently when shifting my 84 4kq - 116k miles. Is that the engine or tranny mounts needing replacement?

Todd
Old 03-11-2004, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Rear diff mount, most likely on the passenger side
Old 03-11-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Rear diff mount, most likely on the passenger side

I'll have to get on that...thanks.

On the URQ, in your opinion, assuming no smoke on start up, while driving/shifting no smoke or thumps, car handles/drives/pulls well, easy initial cold start up & after warmed up; what's a good-fair price?
Thanks,

Todd
Old 03-11-2004, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I, personally would have to see it before I comitted to a price or offer
Old 03-11-2004, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mooreboost, check this out out...(long)

...here's somethings I looked for when i bought mine...

1. Body-decent, no rust, no fading or peeling, a minor acron ding here and there. Things to look for, check the door jams, trunk lid, and around the wheel wells for any signs of rust.

2. Engine-chances are the engine has got some residue here and there. Look for oil around the valve cover, turbo, oil cooler (located under passenger's side bumper in front. possibly a shroud covering it up. You may be able to see it or not.) If there is a sign of an oil leak in any of these ask if its been fixed or not. Could be pricey or related to other problems.

3. Cooling system-obviously look for any signs of coolant on or near the radiator and relitive hoses. Find out when thermostat was changed last. The Urq should have a secondary radiator located behind the front grill. Look at it to see if its in decent shape. If it's missing ask why.

4. electrical-your origianl post suggested that everything worked. Check everything again lights, windows, heat and fan, VIP make sure the radiator fan works when its supposed to...that sort of thing.

5. suspension-typical stuff to look for like on your 4kq struts, wheel bearings etc. check and find out about the tie rods, they are expensive and sometimes hard to find at times. You said the bomb was changed, make sure it turns nice and no ATF leaks on rack and relitive hoses.

6. run it-gmbchef as it right. let it sit a night or two before you start it. Urqs have a tendancy to start funny at times. If it cranks right up cold, let it idle. Listen for exhaust ticking, idle speed (to high or to low, jumpy) normal is around 900-1200rpms. Any black, white or blue smoke on start up?)

7. drive it-if that car is stock then that turbo should get up and go at around 3000rpm. look at the guages make sure they work. Urq's ride pretty nice and stiff so if you feel something like a wheel vibrating could anything from low tire pressure to a wheel bearing that needs replacement

8. mods-any modifacation done to the car? exhaust, ECU, turbo, cam, etc Find out what they are so you know from the get go incase there is a problem later on.

Sounds to me from your earlier posts that it sounds like she's clean. $5k sounds fair for the condition you have explained. Even though its rare and unique, treat it like you were buying a regular car. What would you look for? what maint. has been done, does it shift or run right. Shouldn't be a problem. If there are any specific things that your not to sure on when you look at it again put them on this forum. Any one of us would be happy to help out. Lord knows we all experienced it one time or another on these cars. Where are you from anyway?
Old 03-11-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Mooreboost, check this out out...(long)

Thanks...I appreciate this and all future information.
URQ is bone stock I am going to look at this weekend.
Live in Colorado by way of Boston.
Regards,

Todd