car really hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car really hard to start

If i pump the gas before the first time i try and start it it will start and for like the first ten mins. the exhaust is white. the car runs smooth and idles fine but after it worms up sometimes if i rev the motor white smoke comes from the passenger side od the motor. If i turn the car off it wont start back up. anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default white smoke?

Do you have a coolant leak? Burning off condensation is normal on a cold morning, but if it continues you have a water leak. Possibly a head gasket problem effecting vacuum.

Usually to cold prime a motor with CIS, you gotta cycle ignition on and off a few times. Im guessing you have ignition on but not cranking when you pump the gas.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fairly typical stuff for an early ur quattro.

As for needing to pump the accelerater to start, it sounds like you may be losing fuel pressure when the car sits. I would check the residual pressure in the system and make sure it holds pressure. (Usual suspects for loss of fuel system pressure are the fuel pump check valve, leaky injectors, or O ring in the fuel distributor) Also check ALL the vacuum lines and once those are verified (preferably with a pressure test), check the duty cycle on the frequency valve once the engine is warm. It should be ~50%.

Some white smoke after it starts can just be the exhaust condensation evaporating. Nothing bad there. If the exhaust smells "sweet" or if you are seeing steam in the engine compartment, especially on the passenger side where there are no coolant lines, that is not good. See if you can find out exactly where the "smoke" is coming from. That could be a head gasket issue, some oil burning off of the exhaust from a leaky valve cover gasket or who knows. If you pull off the coolant reservoir with the engine cold, does it blow bubbles when you rev the engine? Are you seeing any coolant in the oil? Any milky brown stuff on the oil filler cap? You are going to need to do some more investigating.

As for the car not restarting, do you mean that the starter won't turn? That is typical. There are more details of the cause and fix for this from blt4spd a few posts down.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Fairly typical stuff for an early ur quattro.

no its not the starter. it turns but the car wont start and it doesnt sound like it even wants to. if the car sits for a few hours it will start up with wa few pumps of the gas but if i turn it off after it warms up it wont start back up.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Its losing fuel pressure. Check injectors, fuel pump check valve, fuel distributor O ring

Pretty common problem. Fuel pump check valve is probably the most common cause.

The loss of pressure at shutdown leads to a vapor lock condition.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default pumping the gas on any FI car is a waste of time if the engine isn't cranking

there is no flow thru the injectors otherwise. especially on a CIS injected car, without vacuum to lift the air sensor plate ain't nothin' happening.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:16 PM

Default Re: car really hard to start

My car is the same way. Just had the head rebuilt. Car is smoking out the tailpipe. White Blue smoke. Pulled spark plugs all were clean accept for two. Two of them were oil fouled. Car runs good after about 10 minutes, But smokes like a diesel. I would check your spark plugs and see if they are clean. Check compression of all cylinders. Also check fuel system. What is the average compression numbers for a healthy stock engine? Good luck!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: car really hard to start

where is the fuel pump check valve located?
Old 09-08-2006, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's screwed into the top of the fuel pump outlet.