Need some advice on a snowmobile area.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on a snowmobile area.....

Has anyone Snowmobiled or rode the Cottonwood Pass/Tincup pass area?

Going up there this weekend, and have never been in that area before.

Finally my other buddy picked up a sled this week. Got a pretty good deal as well. 2002 skidoo 800 151" with only 250 miles for $4500. A couple weeks ago there were 4 of us on my sled (modded 05 RMK 800 159") and that's when I said no more and forced my buddy to buy a sled. This makes it sooo much easier for us to drop guys at the top so they can ride down (board).
Old 01-20-2006, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 250 miles, still a kitten! Those summit 8's are strong sleds...

That's a pretty good deal for a mid winter purchase. I haven't ridden that area before either so please do a follow up post with some feedback pleez.

4 people skiing with one sled...you guys are crazy! Was that up on buff of elsewhere? You been sleddin' a lot lately? We should go rip sometime!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: 250 miles, still a kitten! Those summit 8's are strong sleds...

Yeah, no more with 4 . 2 guys and 2 sleds is perfect. I also like going up and just sledding. At Buff we had 3, and still sucked IMO since the main trail back was not being grommed yet. It's a far track back in there ya know! I have actually been riding back behind Copper Mountain lately.....between Copper and Leadville. There is some sweet stuff back there. The only time I get to ride is on the weekends.....so I'm definitely down to ride with ya soon. When and where are you thinking of going next? Any other areas you've tried that are good other than Buff, Rabbit ears and Vail Pass? Ever ridden Independence Pass just a couple miles west of Vail Pass?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default can't go this weekend or the next, maybe superbowl weekend (sat)?

I would be interested in going somewhere new too...

There is only one place out by me that I really want to tackle and that the flattop/dunkley pass area inbetween vail and steamboat. The mountains is beautiful and i've heard the sledding is pretty awesome. I'd be up for something else though too!

Actually, here's an idea...what are you doing the weekend of Feb 24/25/26th? A bunch of us are going up to Togwotee Pass Wyoming for the weekend to go sledneckin'. I went up there last year an i've it's pretty much the best sledding terrain in the US (don't quote me on that). But if you would be interested in trying out some insane terrain i would recommend that you figure out a way to come and have some fun!

Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I might be able to get those days off......I'll let you know!
Old 01-21-2006, 03:38 PM

Default Hey wagongotya

Ever try out by steamboat lake??? Cali park area?? end of seedhouse rd?? no boardin but plenty of fun sleddin.. (out where the tour company rides) Rode that area a couple times last year. But now I live in D-town and had to sell my 03 RMK 800. I miss it soooooo much!! I'm jealous steamboat is having a epic year!! I'm pissed!!
Old 01-21-2006, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you just named off some of the best kept secrets in Colorado...shush!

Yes, i frequent California park and seedhouse road...actually, seedhouse has some of the best snowriding in the state believe it or not...you just got to know where to go

Some of the best runs of my life were up on seedhouse.

Sorry about the sled...but you can always get another one!
Old 01-22-2006, 04:19 PM

Default this is what I ment....

Yeah go to rabbit ears theres PLENTY of parking on weekends around 10am!!

Damn I miss buff!

RIP Mike!
Old 01-23-2006, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default have you heard about the new rules/regs up on buff!?!

The forest service has taken a strong hold of the area (thanks to continual problems between the skiers, snowmobilers, cat skiers) so now they only allow a certain number of vehicles to park in the dry lakes parking area. Car/trucks/trailers are only allowed to park along the road up to the first driveway (which equals about 15 spots). So if the parking spots are full you need to turn around and go somewhere else...

The skiing areas up on the pass are now strictly defined as skiing only, which means no going off of the trail with your sleds (also no bitch creek short cuts anymore).

It's pretty crazy how things have changed so quickly...it's not all that bad, but you need to get up there by 9:30/10 or you will be going home empty handed;(
Old 01-23-2006, 03:15 PM

Default Re: have you heard about the new rules/regs up on buff!?!

yeah I heard Fucin cats!! its better then banning sleds all together..I want the home site (first driveway) sledding from the house. How sweet. I think I'll be up there around the 1st hopfully it will dump..